Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times

Advertisements

While going through my lengthy Favorites list on my computer this morning, I ran across the article in the link I'm about to share. It was a joy to me to read this, to see the author's photos and read why they had such an impact on her.

After reading all the many posts and threads on here lately about various equipment and how we can all strive to be better photographers and improve our technical skills, etc., I thought this article was a great reminder that sometimes rules are meant to be broken and photos can be wonderful and say so much in no words at all.

It's this kind of stuff that makes me feel free to play with my camera -- just for the joy of it and the surprise to see what I get when I'm not necessarily trying to "get it right." I hope this article puts a smile on your face like it did mine when I read it this morning.

Creating an Image of Impact.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-30-2012 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: OP's request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
While going through my lengthy Favorites list on my computer this morning, I ran across the article in the link I'm about to share. It was a joy to me to read this, to see the author's photos and read why they had such an impact on her.

After reading all the many posts and threads on here lately about various equipment and how we can all strive to be better photographers and improve our technical skills, etc., I thought this article was a great reminder that sometimes rules are meant to be broken and photos can be wonderful and say so much in no words at all.

It's this kind of stuff that makes me feel free to play with my camera -- just for the joy of it and the surprise to see what I get when I'm not necessarily trying to "get it right." I hope this article puts a smile on your face like it did mine when I read it this morning.

Creating an Image of Impact.

Sorry, but after I posted this, I see that
Thanks for sharing this, PhotogGal. I enjoyed the article and feel much the same. Everyone worries so much about being technically correct and trying to please others who are technically correct, it sometimes sucks the joy right out of it. IT'S ART! It should come from the heart!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
I think many/most who stick long-term with photography go through a technical perfection stage. I know I did. I obsessed over perfect exposure with no clipping, perfect focus, no blur, etc. Eventually I moved away from that. The most technically perfect shot of a boring scene/composition will still be a boring image. A great scene/composition that's not technically perfect can still be a great image.

I will say this though: going through the technical phase helped me understand when it was best/appropriate to break the technical rules, when breaking the rules actually made the image better, etc. Before that, the technically-imperfect-but-still-good images were more a result of luck. After understanding the technical stuff, I could break them and produce good images consistently and intentionally.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
spot on fuzz.

photography reminds me in a way like my other hobby high end audio equipment.

in evaluating audio equipment we have a saying , if it sounds good but measures bad its probley good. if it measures good and sounds bad its probley bad.

doing things right technically may not produce the results you want visually.
the technical end is there to give you the proper tools in your arsenal to build something . it doesnt mean by itself you can build anything worth a darn. good photographers can break the rules and not be as technically perfect and they still get good results, bad photographers get bad results when they break the rules, or lack proper skills.

it reminds me of when great musicians get together and just jam. no rehearsal , no clue whats coming next yet whatever they do it sounds awesome. musicians who lack good knowledge of their instument and the dynamics of music may sound horrible just jamming on the fly. you have to fully understand all the important aspects of what you need to know and its only then you can bend the rules with any kind of consistancy and get good results.

as they say you cant make silk from pigs skin.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-30-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography