Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:08 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,201,945 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know if any of you suggest this as a way to become a better photographer and have a better understanding of techniques.

Gee-thanks,
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 04:27 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,314,067 times
I think a hands-on workshop is always a good idea, no matter when it's photography or something else.

I had been taking pictures for at least 15 years, and had a macro lens for a least a year, before I took a macro photography workshop. I learned so much from that workshop, that it's made things so much easier for me.

Learning is never a bad thing.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,395,141 times
I don't know, I mean there's so much out there on the Internet these days, do you really need to pay money for a class when you could probably find everything you need to know for free on Youtube? Just sayin....

Old 09-29-2012, 05:14 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,314,067 times
Videos are a good source, as are books. However, it was my experience that being with an instructor on a photo shoot, and having that instructor review the results immediately and give advice on how to improve the shots helped more than just watching a video or reading a book. The video or book couldn't look at the shot I just took and tell me what I did wrong, and tell me how I could have done better. An instructor can.

I think my workshop cost around $50, and took place over an entire weekend (a few hours instruction Friday night, field trip/photo shoot with the instructor Saturday, and photo review on Sunday). It was money well spent for me.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,261,489 times
Depends on what you mean by "class". If you mean one of these mini workshops that charge you $100 for a few hours, probably not. If you mean a college course, yes. There's lots to learn about photography and particularly digital photography. I took a few Photoshop "classes" that were weekend deals for a few hundred bucks each. I can't say I didn't learn anything, but it wasn't until I took a semester of it at the local community college that I really learned it properly.

I think it's even more important if you're trying to learn the whole realm of digital photography. You've not only got the instructor to teach you, but you've got classmates to encourage you and, maybe, go out and shoot along side you. I'm a big proponent of taking a college course or two.

I took my first one (get ready for this) in 1965 when studying journalism at Iowa State. That got me through many years of community newspaper photography. When I decided to get more involved in photography I took an advanced course at the community college (1993 or so), mainly to learn more about color. Both were good and fun experiences.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:46 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,522,581 times
I took an 8 week begining photography class last year, at the local college here and learned a whole lot. This was when I first got interested in photography and the cost was only $55.00. I only had a Canon PowerShot A560 at the time. But I learned enough to get really interested and went out an got my Nikon D3100 2 weeks after the class ended. Maybe next time they offer the inter mediate photography class I will sign up for it, as I still have somethings to learn.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
I don't know, I mean there's so much out there on the Internet these days, do you really need to pay money for a class when you could probably find everything you need to know for free on Youtube? Just sayin....
I think Claire made a good point about the instructor being able to offer the guidance a video can't. I do appreciate your suggestions because it's a good idea too, especially when I get a solid foundation/confidence, I can check out videos for tips

Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I took an 8 week begining photography class last year, at the local college here and learned a whole lot. This was when I first got interested in photography and the cost was only $55.00. I only had a Canon PowerShot A560 at the time. But I learned enough to get really interested and went out an got my Nikon D3100 2 weeks after the class ended. Maybe next time they offer the inter mediate photography class I will sign up for it, as I still have somethings to learn.
This is something that would be a good help for me.

D3100, oooooo-we. Good choice.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,927,778 times
Yes Ron you will enjoy it very much. I took it in college. You will learn how to photo filter pics, to vector images, mesh images into dream like imagintry, give life to images that appear boring, and so much more. I have this one photo that has a park bench with real water coming off the bench with a duck on it.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 PM

16,130 posts, read 10,805,118 times
I've gone to a couple professional photography (field) workshops and always enjoyed it. One was affiliated with a university and the other was part of a botanical garden/arboretum program. The last one was about five years ago. I'd like to do this again but now I've moved 1,000 miles so I'm open to suggestions. I'm not willing to leave the USA for a short workshop but I'm open to domestic travel. I live in New Mexico so western states would be easiest and most relevant. Has anyone had any recent experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography