Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 AM

267 posts, read 1,835,852 times

Advertisements

We have two kids, our son is almost 2.5 and our daughter is 2 months old. We would like to take some family portraits at a studio to send our families back home. But my son will not sit still for pictures. I mean he will throw big fits and wiggle all around and basically be a spaz, hehe. Its hard to get a good picture of him when we take pictures at home. Does anybody have any tips to take good kid photos or know of any good studios that take kids pictures? Should we just wait another year until he calms down or just go ahead and get the pictures taken and let our son be the one in the photo with the grumpy face and arms and legs flailing about? We really want to get pictures taken and have a nice family photo.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
I took some photos of my kids and nephew with lollipops. The pictures were cute, and the kids all sat still for quite some time, lol. But, photos of sad faces, pouty looks, etc are GREAT when the kids get older. My daughter laughs when she see's photos of herself doing that when she was 2 and 3.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Yep, use a toy of sometime on the top of your camera to distract kids for a while, or have someone stand behind you making faces, so kid will look up to them and you snap the shot! That's how i have to do it with kids.
They also sell cute little things that go on top of the flash for kids to look at for a few

Old 12-06-2007, 04:10 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I will check out the flash toys. We may just go ahead and go for it and get the pictures taken. Who knows, my son may surprise us and take a good photo.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:37 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Bribery, plain and simple. Have a favorite treat or toy off to the side that he gets after he's done posing like a good boy. Works wonders.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:34 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
The best pictures I have of my children are not posed. Now that isn't as easy but it makes for some of the best photos a person can get!! The real, natural look of a child is the best in my opinion!!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Ritalin...lol

Old 12-07-2007, 09:10 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
The best pictures I have of my children are not posed. Now that isn't as easy but it makes for some of the best photos a person can get!! The real, natural look of a child is the best in my opinion!!
Candid and posed are two different things and both have their places. I agree that some of the most adorable photos are the candid ones. However, when you need to send grandma a picture of your kid dressed in the clothes she sent them for the holidays for example, you need them to pose.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM

Hehe, I like the Ritalin idea but not yet. We have a gazillion candid pictures of my son but as kdog said, we need him posed for the picture. Doesn't have to necessarily smile for the camera, although that would be nice, he just needs to sit still. My son is always on the go and won't sit still for long, unless of course Yo Gabba Gabba is on or he is on the floor playing with his trains and blocks. My husband said we should give him son Tylenol or Benadryl to get him to be still but I was like, what you think everyone wants a Christmas picture of us and a sleeping kid, lol. He was joking of course.

Actually what we were thinking of doing instead of going to one of the studios, is taking our camera and going to the park and taking some pictures there, since our camera has a timer. Its beautiful and snowing up here so maybe we will get some good pictures that way. Then maybe taking the baby to the studio and get pictures of her. She's a pretty calm baby and I don't have to worry about her running off or destroying anything.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:24 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Talking please don't try this at home alone without surpervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Ritalin...lol
You could also try “plastic wrap”! The kind you use for foods and leftovers. It’s clear and no one would see it if you wrap their legs and arms down. A little over the mouth area if they are talkative, however be sure to leave an opening for the nose so they can breathe. lol,,,,,, ducktape works but you’ll see it in the pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography