Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,639,030 times

Advertisements

Last Saturday when I went to Rittenhouse Square Park in Philadelphia, I brought along my camera. I was there once before, but in 2013. I love their statues and the park is very picturesque. I did capture a lot of photographs and I ran into a trumpeter I met two years before and took his picture. I began to take his picture on Saturday and before I could snap the picture, he stopped playing and yelled at me.

He said, "You're a rude and ignorant person! How dare you take my picture without really asking."
I replied, "I took your picture two years ago."
"Do you know me?"
I knew his first name, but I didn't want to get it wrong, and said no. I almost took out my cell phone to show him the picture I took two years ago (it was on my Instagram). He wouldn't have any of it, he continued calling me rude. I felt very embarrassed and on spot. I finally, angrily, said, "Well, I am not a rude person." His lady friend angrily said, "Well you are proving you are." I walked away.

When I got home, I saw on my LinkedIn account I still had his friendship pending. I requested him on LinkedIn two months ago. I sent him an e-mail and said, "I knew your name. I have requested you before. How dare you call me rude and ignorant when you're playing in public. Anyone can take your picture in public." Never received a response, but that's okay.

So, what are the ethics and etiquette for this type of situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 01:49 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,691,752 times
Your reply should have been; sorry but I'm gathering evidence for violations of the city’s noise and panhandling ordinance.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:29 PM

15,079 posts, read 10,155,452 times
Well.. I carry this around with me.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

For street performers, I usually hold up a tip and my camera... usually I get a nod indicating its ok. People are generally ignorant that you can have your picture taken in a public location without having some sort of consent. To use the images for commercial purposes is a different story.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:07 PM

USayIt, that's what I figured. I am now working as an indy contractor for a senior center.I didn't realize consent laws before the convention and didn't type up waivers. I'm now in the process of getting the waivers approved by the big boss so I can send them to the exhibitors I took pictures of. But, I figured with public performers, especially street performers, there weren't specific laws.

Thanks!

Old 05-22-2015, 12:50 AM

750 posts, read 912,274 times
I think it is unethical to photograph people, who are engaged in private deals on the street (although it is the most interesting ). But if people do public activities - I believe that I'm obliged to take a pic! Specifically to street musicians (clowns, animators, etc. ), its their job, before to do their photo I think it's fair to give them little money, then they would be happy to pose.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
I think it is unethical to photograph people, who are engaged in private deals on the street (although it is the most interesting ). But if people do public activities - I believe that I'm obliged to take a pic! Specifically to street musicians (clowns, animators, etc. ), its their job, before to do their photo I think it's fair to give them little money, then they would be happy to pose.
I wouldn't photograph people engaged in personal things! I like photographing performers though - you're right, I should have given him some money, but I don't think this guy was having it. He said he turns away people all the time, even those that give him money. I don't understand why he's so weird about it - it's like he was trying to hide his identity.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:47 AM

750 posts, read 912,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
He said he turns away people all the time, even those that give him money. I don't understand why he's so weird about it.
It's good idea about new thread - "City geeks and freaks"

Old 05-22-2015, 11:56 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,290,296 times
You can take a photograph of anyone at anytime if they are in public (In the US). That's the legality of it.

There are some different rules in other countries like not photographing children; or photographing in to a house from the street, for example.

Legality aside, if you're worried about the ethics, then just ask them.

One of my acquaintances does street photography, and, yes there are candids of unknowing people, but he also does portraits. He asks those people if it's OK, and an overwhelming majority say yes.

I wouldn't say street photography is my favorite, but I can see the allure of witnessing people at their most raw and exposed.

I'm personally too afraid to do actual street photography because of the idea of conflict. Although I have taking photos professionally, now, I'm just an amateur, not an artist who thinks he has to defend his right to take pictures.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:09 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,833,019 times
Geeze..it's not like you were taking a picture of him drinking a 40 ouncer out of a paper bag behind a dumpster... I wouldn't waste my time on that guy anymore....

Old 05-22-2015, 01:21 PM

522 posts, read 724,093 times
he's in public. I'd just take his picture anyway.

I'd also be tempted to set my camera on a tripod, and just point it at him... let the bastard stew...

when you're in public, you have no rights to privacy. period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography