Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 46,043 times

Advertisements

I'm normally smiling anyway so it's not a stretch to smile in a photo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 04:42 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,856,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My question is......why???????? Do you smile at other times? I just don't understand the logic in not "smiling for the camera"!!! Someone points a camera at you (you knowing that your photo is being taken) and you don't smile? Do you smile, when asked to for a photo?
Is this one of those topics that I have to contact Dr. Phil about
(only kidding) because it can "drive me nuts" or have me thinking "what the heck is wrong with this person".
Yes, I know that in old pictures from centuries ago, people didn't smile a lot of times. But, that was then......this is 2008!
Heck I don't know. I'm quite happy at any given moment...but when I'm asked to pose or smile for a camera...it just seems so fake to force a smile. You'd have better luck catching me smiling if I was unaware of the camera!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,542,409 times
There are people who just hate having their picture taken, for their own reasons. Maybe they think they have ugly teeth, maybe they are having a bad day, maybe they don't like being herded together for a 'happy family' photo, because they aren't in a happy family!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
Quote:
A lot of the photos I have taken with my wife's one sister and her other sister's husband in them.....they don't smile! They can always be "picked out" in a photo. When do they smile? When I tell them to smile after looking at them thru the viewfinder. And, then, there are times that I have to tell them twice "SMILE". If I forget to say "smile" to them, I have a family photo with two people who look like they just lost their best friend!!
Do you know anyone like this and does anyone pick them out in a photo? Nothing like having a group of smiling faces, until you see the "non-smilers" and wonder why.
For me, it is annoying at times and I don't even want them to be a part of the photo.
I never smile. When I do...it looks "fake". I'm not frowning either, I just have a mild look on my face.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:18 AM

8,966 posts, read 20,393,383 times
Very good reasons. But still, a couple of non-smiling people can make a photo look........?????? Oh well, I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
There are people who just hate having their picture taken, for their own reasons. Maybe they think they have ugly teeth, maybe they are having a bad day, maybe they don't like being herded together for a 'happy family' photo, because they aren't in a happy family!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,379,118 times
Quote:
A lot of the photos I have taken with my wife's one sister and her other sister's husband in them.....they don't smile! They can always be "picked out" in a photo. When do they smile? When I tell them to smile after looking at them thru the viewfinder. And, then, there are times that I have to tell them twice "SMILE". If I forget to say "smile" to them, I have a family photo with two people who look like they just lost their best friend!!
Do you know anyone like this and does anyone pick them out in a photo? Nothing like having a group of smiling faces, until you see the "non-smilers" and wonder why.
For me, it is annoying at times and I don't even want them to be a part of the photo.
maybe they don't feel like being fake in a photo? I mean smiling in a photo to me is sort of annoying, seems sooo staged. I prefer candids for that reason.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:29 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Heck I don't know. I'm quite happy at any given moment...but when I'm asked to pose or smile for a camera...it just seems so fake to force a smile. You'd have better luck catching me smiling if I was unaware of the camera!
I think this is probably why most people don't smile, it feels fake. The best pictures I have taken are the unaware ones. You get so much more emotion in those.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:17 PM

66 posts, read 341,819 times
People never smiled in the 19th century because they were forced to be still for a long time while the picture was taken. I always disliked my dad taking pictures because he would take forever and just when everyone's smiles would wilt from waiting and waiting- click!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:08 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,552,294 times
Quote:
My question is......why???????? Do you smile at other times? I just don't understand the logic in not "smiling for the camera"!!! !
Calm down, LoveBoating. Its not worth stressing out over.

I cannot stand the way I look in photos, so I run whenever the cameras come out. I do it jokingly and say photos are against my religion, or something idiotic, but still, I am not photogenic, never have been and I cringe whenever I see a picture of myself.

If there is a picture taken of me,..I never NEVER smile, and to be honest, it's even more illogical for someone to INSIST others smile just because THEY want you to smile.

When I was young, it was uncool to be the smiling idiot, now its just embarrasing to have my pic taken, so I don't. Sorry if that bothers you.

Nowadays, my motto is: I'm not smiling, so either get over it, or take someone else's picture.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 18,567 times
If you don't want people who don't smile in your photos then don't make us be in them! (If you're worried we'll be offended, nicely ask us if we want to be in the photo, we'll probably say "not really" and appreciate that you offered rather then expect our participation.) Alternatively you could tell us a really funny joke... not that one that tickles you... a funny joke. To answer the question of the OP, we don't smile because we don't feel like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography