Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:21 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,191,121 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2cme View Post
I think Georgepl is just saying that even though his photos may have a bit of grain or aged look to them, that is just how they look - he doesn't doctor them, he just post's them as he took them.

Many people on the photography forum do the same thing but then there are also many who are really clever with editing software.

Also, many have very fancy DSLRs that can capture the zit on a flys butt, but then there are a ton of snap and shoot users too!

Every way is fine, no right, no wrong... there's plenty of room for everyone. I'm very sure no offense was intended, I believe that he was simply sharing his process with everyone.
When you primarily take a lot of photos of fast moving targets, especially the non-people kind, composition goes out the window in favor of you being fast on the button. There's no posing, there's no setting up the shot. A bird (not at a feeder), for example, could be on a sign right in front of you and a second later be in a tree, much farther away. If you want a photo of that bird, you have to be really quick. You have to do your "composition" on the computer with cropping. I found that from primarily doing that kind of photo taking, my camera composition skill for other types of photography, isn't what it should be, because I don't do the other type of photography, enough. On the other hand, my computer editing skills aren't bad. I enjoy editing.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM

2,870 posts, read 3,369,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When you primarily take a lot of photos of fast moving targets, especially the non-people kind, composition goes out the window in favor of you being fast on the button. There's no posing, there's no setting up the shot. A bird (not at a feeder), for example, could be on a sign right in front of you and a second later be in a tree, much farther away. If you want a photo of that bird, you have to be really quick. You have to do your "composition" on the computer with cropping. I found that from primarily doing that kind of photo taking, my camera composition skill for other types of photography, isn't what it should be, because I don't do the other type of photography, enough. On the other hand, my computer editing skills aren't bad. I enjoy editing.
Well Said and that's the beauty of photography as a medium of expression... there is enough room for everyone's style & taste & technique!

Some prefer Picasso to DiVinci, some prefer Metallica to Mozart. and some prefer Baldessari to Adams!

Some prefer pre-planned, precisely executed photos, some prefer snapping on the fly! Some like the editing process, some would prefer to have a root canal than to edit! (LOL! ) Some prefer the tight control of a studio, some prefer the surprise of the unexpected in an uncontrolled environment.

The world of Artistic Expression, no matter what the medium, is a breeding ground of controversy & a template for tolerance, acceptance & compassion.

No matter what someone does in any art medium, someone will find something contraversial or negative to say about it... but the truly open minded will embrace it for 'what it is' and 'what it stands for' and 'what it has to offer! - they may not like it, but they will at the very least acknowledge it for its merits!

Aren't we lucky that we live in a world, that is a big enough place for everyone to express themselves as they will. Aren't we LUCKY that we live in a free society that does not restrict us from looking at or expressing ourselves in any manner we are driven towards!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:56 PM

489 posts, read 1,192,416 times
Default Elgin Scotland shop fronts

A pub and charity shop

Old 06-23-2009, 12:42 PM

489 posts, read 1,192,416 times
Default The Curry mile Manchester

Old 07-04-2009, 09:20 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,808,567 times
In Brevard, North Carolina

Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times
I like this pic PhotogGal! It looks like a nice store to browse around in too!
Love that copper awning above the window, unique looking!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,729,639 times
Default Jamaica, NY

Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Default Canal Street (NYC)

Quiz time... what is this vendor is selling??

Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Food cart in NYC... one of the things I miss most about living back east.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography