Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM

295 posts, read 1,213,390 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
First, I need to say there are some very talented photographers on CD. So many photos are AMAZING, and so many of you are willing to help others. Kudos to all!

I'm a novice photographer and recently bought a SX10 IS. I've only used it in Auto mode so far, but had a weird thing happen and don't know if it means the camera needs repair or exchange.

The camera flipped an image 180*, then 90*, when I took a shot of a flat item on a counter and the camera was angled down at about 45*. Very briefly after the shot was taken, the image was in correct orientation on the LCD. The camera then flipped it 180*, quickly flipped it back 90* to the right, and the image recorded on the memory card at 90*. Subsequent shots of the same item were OK and all others after that weird one have been OK too.

Why would the camera have done this? Was it just "transient weirdness" or does the camera need to be exchanged or repaired?

Thanks in advance for any help, insight, and wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
Hi All,
First, I need to say there are some very talented photographers on CD. So many photos are AMAZING, and so many of you are willing to help others. Kudos to all!

I'm a novice photographer and recently bought a SX10 IS. I've only used it in Auto mode so far, but had a weird thing happen and don't know if it means the camera needs repair or exchange.

The camera flipped an image 180*, then 90*, when I took a shot of a flat item on a counter and the camera was angled down at about 45*. Very briefly after the shot was taken, the image was in correct orientation on the LCD. The camera then flipped it 180*, quickly flipped it back 90* to the right, and the image recorded on the memory card at 90*. Subsequent shots of the same item were OK and all others after that weird one have been OK too.

Why would the camera have done this? Was it just "transient weirdness" or does the camera need to be exchanged or repaired?

Thanks in advance for any help, insight, and wisdom.
The camera will self destruct in 5 minutes.

Did you happen to tilt the camera while taking the picture? Here is what the SX10 does. If you are looking at a picture already taken and then start tilting the camera, the image will flip 90 degrees. I'm not sure if this could happen while taking the picture itself.

How did the picture come out? Was there any loss of quality?

What I would do is keep an eye on it. It is possible that this could happen while taking the picture and tilting the camera at the same time.

If it doesn't happen again, then I guess it was just a freak thing.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Look at page 220 in the manual. Try setting the "Auto Rotate" to off.

Or if you are rotating the camera, the LCD will try to keep the image level.

Rich

Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
Yes turn the auto rotate off... I also have a SX10is... are you in for some fun... You just have to read the manual or do as I did.. get the Dennis P Curtain Manual on the SX10is it's Black & White 8.5 x 11 inch heavy paper with places for crib notes "Big Print" easy to read... and just start shooting and experimenting. You not wasting film !!! Just shoot till the batteries die... then recharge and do it again. Eventually things will fall into place........

Old 08-12-2009, 07:13 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,809,487 times
Others have already addressed your question. I'll just add that there are several of us on this forum now who have the SX10 IS, and we've all been a big help to each other as we ride the learning curve. It's challenging but oh so fun! Welcome to our little SX10 IS club!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,955 times
And I will second that PhotogGal! Luvvvv my SX10! Even though is causes me undo stress at times!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
And I will second that PhotogGal! Luvvvv my SX10! Even though is causes me undo stress at times!
i will third that!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,390 times
Thanks to everyone for the advice, and to PhotogGal for the welcome to "the SX10 IS club"! I will consider it an accomplishment if someday my photography skills become even half as capable and talented as you folks.

Thebobs, I'm pretty sure I didn't tilt the camera after I took the shot & while it was still processing, but I guess I could have. I was leaning over the subject on the counter when I took the shot and straightened up after releasing the shutter, but I kept the camera in the horizontal position & it was gripped with both hands. The image started doing its acrobatics after I straightened up, even though initially it had correct orientation just like the one I had taken immediately before. The pic quality was fine, other than it being tilted 90*. I'll recreate the set up & try different things to see if I can duplicate what happened. (Hooray! It hasn't self-destructed yet. Maybe its timer is off!)

Rich, thanks for the manual's page # reference. I read it & it seems to apply to when the camera is held vertically, not horizontally. I'm still too much of a rookie with this camera to do fancy stuff like holding it vertically to take shots. Should I turn off Auto-Rotate even if I don't shoot with the camera held vertically?

Tinman, yes, I have read your praise for that manual and it is on my list of "gotta haves", along with the items you recommended from LensMate. I must say, a bigger manual (with bigger print!) will certainly be a huge improvement over Canon's dinky one.

PhotogGal, again, thanks for the welcome. I did do a search before I posted, but didn't find anything. I guess I wasn't using the right terms. Umm, about your: "... learning curve .... challenging ..." ---> Eek! Now I'm really getting intimidated by this camera!

Blondie & Granny, "undue stress"???? What have I gotten myself into?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
Rich, thanks for the manual's page # reference. I read it & it seems to apply to when the camera is held vertically, not horizontally. I'm still too much of a rookie with this camera to do fancy stuff like holding it vertically to take shots. Should I turn off Auto-Rotate even if I don't shoot with the camera held vertically?
I got my SX10 last October which replaced my S2 which we still use.

There is a little sensor which detects the position of the camera, you can hear it click if you rotate your camera around and listen carefully. But even when you are shooting horizontally if you point the camera downward the camera gets confused, you are not really horizontal any more, and many times when you are looking at your pictures on the LCD you may be tilting your camera too far without realizing it. It does it with our daughters Canon A560 also. I normally don't like vertical pictures anymore (Called portrait mode) but a lot of her pictures were coming out in the portrait mode even though she claims she was holding horizontal (landscape mode). When she aims the camera downward to photograph cats, dogs, kids, flowers etc, the camera goes past the verticle and the "Auto Rotate" sensor flips the picture.

Turn off the "Auto Rotate" and see.

Rich

Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,809,487 times
I'm probably wrong, but I thought the whole purpose of the Auto Rotate feature is so that when you're reviewing your shot, you can look at it in an upright position if you shot it vertically and also that if you wanted to do an in-camera slide show, all the photos would look the way they're supposed to.

I think my Auto Rotate feature is set to on, but I'm going to turn it off now since I don't usually review most of my shots until I get them on the computer anyway.

As for you, Shroom, don't be afraid to take vertical shots. The fact is that some subjects are better shot vertically (portrait mode) rather than horizontally. A good photographer will walk around his/her subject and shoot it from many different perspectives and both horizontally and vertically and then select their best shots. It's digital, so it doesn't cost you anything to experiment. If you were shooting for a magazine, for example, you'd have to learn to shoot vertically. So just look in your manual or a photography book on how to hold the camera vertically and give it a try. Just remember to keep your fingers and neck strap out of the picture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography