Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:39 AM

728 posts, read 1,786,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Well, the full version is intended to be used by professionals... most software aimed at professionals is expensive. But as mentioned, Photoshop Elements is very affordable and should get the job done. Alternatively, there is also free software called GIMP you might want to check out: GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program I've never used it myself but from what I've heard, it can do everything (or at least most of what?) the full version of PS can do.
Amen to that. I used PS first, then I tried GIMP 2 years ago. Never have looked back... My dad was in town the other day and we dabbled with some photos we had shot that day on PS and I felt crippled. In fact when I open GIMP on my design PC I have to walk away for awhile because of all the brushes, fonts and add-on components I have.

To me, PS is like what Microsoft has done to the world of computers. It's not that GIMP is less featured; it's just what the industry has adopted as "the" design suite. GIMP is native to Linux, but a Windows and Mac versions are available.

It's free, so you can get your hands dirty learning the basics with no financial commitment. If you like it; upgrade to PS in the future. You'll already have a basic idea of the workflow.

Just my opinion.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:54 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,387,133 times
I'd also like to suggest Adobe Elements it's inexpensive and you can re-create much of what your looking for. It's specifically for digital photo editing.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,957,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'd also like to suggest Adobe Elements it's inexpensive and you can re-create much of what your looking for. It's specifically for digital photo editing.
That's the same as Photoshop Elements

Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,025,821 times
You can also download a trial version of photoshop from Adobe's website.

Since the OP already has photoshop, the best thing for him/her to do is just head to a bookstore and check out some of the books that will allow her to get the look she wants for her photos.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,022,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You can also download a trial version of photoshop from Adobe's website.

Since the OP already has photoshop, the best thing for him/her to do is just head to a bookstore and check out some of the books that will allow her to get the look she wants for her photos.
"Him."

Thanks for the tips.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,025,821 times
I just got an e-mail from Adobe asking that I download and try out a beta version of Lightroom 3. Think I'll try it out.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 4,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Flickr: The Textured Landscape (Painterly Quality Only) (http://www.flickr.com/groups/992819@N21/ - broken link)

I just love the look and I used to be able to get it with the now defunct Microsoft Photo Editor. I see all kinds of videos on Photoshop giving tutorials on how to get the effect, but none of them seems to show that look I am looking for. I want to know if anyone can show me the tips, the tricks, the way to do it or just direct me to a tutorial/video .

Thank you for your help in advance.
You could search for Sepia, vintage and tea stained & filters; you'll probably find some cool plug-ins. Sepia is easy to create in PS - check out any of the tutorials previously listed. You might search for a Holga filter for PS too. My friend had a PS plug-in that added old-ish looking texture and and color and rough edges. For the real thing, check out this camera review : the digital harinezumi, part one - Four Corners Dark : Holga, Lomo, Toy Camera and Low-fi Photography Blog (http://nicnichols.com/FourCornersDark/?page_id=3549 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography