Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 PM

246 posts, read 498,806 times

Advertisements

Snopes is a reliable source for dispelling most urban myths. There's one entry for mosquito repellents too.

snopes.com: Mosquito Repel Lore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriouserGeorge View Post
I doubt using baby oil will do much. Even repellents don't actually repell, instead they clog up chemical sensors located on the mosquito so that it can't tell what's out there or where it is. It's somewhat analogous to putting a blindfold on, and trying to find a heavily-perfumed woman in a room...not especially difficult to do. If you put a clothespin on your nose, though, and try the same trick, chances are you won't be successful.

I may not be totally accurate, but I believe mosquitoes are initially alerted to prey because of the carbon dioxide we exhale (lesser factors are body heat and moisture). If you can avoid breathing while outside, then I'd say you'll do okay!

Also, it's primarily (if not totally) the anopheles female that does the biting...there's something in blood that she needs for egg maturation/development and that's the reason we get invited to dinner.
I have used baby oil with success and I would recommend it for anyone. I think it plugs up their little needle noses, whatever it is, it seems to work.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
I am type O neg and can assure you, if there is a skeeter within a mile, she'll be on me and biting me. Stinks because I am an avid outdoorsman as well and spend lots of time hunting, fishing, hiking and exploring. Deep woods Off or other repellents with the highest concentration of DEET you can get (higher than 20%)will work. I suggest not using it on young children though. If you don't want to go that route, buy a Thermacell and use that near you when you are outside. I believe they are effective within a 15' radius. Those of us that archery hunt early in the season use these to keep the skeeters off and you won't have an offensive odor to deal with.

You can also get the sprays that have the permithrin in them but you can not spray it on your skin, only on your clothes or on areas where the skeeters may land. It will kill them and not just repel them. It works good for fleas and ticks as well if you are close to the woods.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM

Skeeters love me.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 PM

199 posts, read 712,585 times
Try Avon's Skin So Soft oil. I garden a lot and especially in early evening hours, unless I use this, I will get a zillion bites, with it............. none.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 AM

I can't stand the smell of that stuff or the repellents.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
Thermacell, I am telling you! :-)

Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Whats thermacell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh