Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:59 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times

Advertisements

You can get a DUI for being tired, no substance necessary. Or at least, that's what I've heard.

And class has a lot to do with it if that's true about his parents vis a vis still walking free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,651 times
At the risk of sounding insensitive - it was a horrible accident and clearly the boy had issues - but, if you were a walker or runner, wouldn't you wait until you were sure that the car was going to stop before crossing? As both a runner and a cyclist, I always do.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:13 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
why does it matter? seriously, why bring it up? you're absolutely right; it is insensitive, not to mention completely pointless.

all you people who are speculating about how it may have been her fault: look at her face, read about her life, and shut it. there is absolutely no way to know exactly what happened and there is no reason to continually shift blame to her when the person who killed her did in fact break the law. i really don't understand why so many people are coming at it from this angle.

Obituary: Lisa Clay Styles / Being a mom was Mt. Lebanon woman's true calling

i'm done with this thread - it's disgusting.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:08 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
Pedestrian killed at intersection by reckless driver running a stop sign = driver's fault, ALWAYS.

This forum is pretty disgusting in general.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
At the risk of sounding insensitive - it was a horrible accident and clearly the boy had issues - but, if you were a walker or runner, wouldn't you wait until you were sure that the car was going to stop before crossing? As both a runner and a cyclist, I always do.
Well -- but what if the kid stopped and she started crossing because he was stopped, but he neglected to look to the right and simply went assuming it was clear and ran her over, that makes it his fault.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:32 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I think what irritates me most is that he was high on marijuana at the time he was operating this vehicle. That has been confirmed by all the major news outlets and it makes me sick. Someone will argue that, "it's only weed" ... but that's the warped mentally our generally anti-sober society takes. He was using marijuana which clearly will impair a person's judgment and senses. Yes, if this pedestrian walked blatantly in front of a moving vehicle, it could have happened to any driver, but the fact that he was under the influence just proves that he isn't much concerned about safety when operating a motor vehicle. It's a safe assumption to make that if a person chooses to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of any substance...well, safety is not your first priority.
So if he were drunk would it have been any different? Marijuana or alcohol, nobody condones DUI. Whatever he was intoxicated from makes no difference.

He should not have been under the influence of anything but life if he was driving.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:41 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,651 times
Sorry guys. I wasn't trying to assign blame. I was simply posing a question that crossed my mind when I read about the incident.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
From the article in the opening post:
Quote:
Records indicate that Mr. Cope has paid $755 in fines to Mt. Lebanon, South Fayette and Pittsburgh since February 2006 for traffic violations, including speeding, disregarding a traffic control device and driving without a license.
FWIW, if ticketed for 'failure to yeild to a pedestrian' under 3542(a)( PA Driver/Pedestrian Laws (http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Pedestrian/web/laws.htm - broken link) ), before the hearing the police officer may first offer to plea bargain the offense down to "disregarding a traffic control device", which is half the fine, and no points.

Kinda makes you wonder what the circumstances of that particular offense were...

Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneblue View Post
I'm thinking that is why he is not in jail already waiting for all the tests to come back!!! Anyone else would have been thrown in jail immediately.
I see. Are people routinely "thrown in jail immediately" for a misdemeanor DUI charge, or is it common practice to release them on their own recognizance? Do you have a legal basis for your claim, or are you simply saying it it because it fits your class-envy template? In either case, "spoiled rich kid" is a value judgment, not a legal standard that determines whether a person is thrown in jail or not.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:39 AM

199 posts, read 521,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I see. Are people routinely "thrown in jail immediately" for a misdemeanor DUI charge, or is it common practice to release them on their own recognizance? .
Most cases I've heard have resulted in the person being taken into custody and booked, then released pending a hearing.

The only time I've heard of someone going into jail and having to post bond was when a particular co-worker was busted on her fourth DUI, as well as driving without a license (it was revoked on her third) and violating probation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh