Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times

Advertisements

I visited NYC in 1994, and was knocked out by the vitality. There were people out at all hours of the night, and the springtime weather was beautiful! Fast forward to 2007 and I moved to Pittsburgh. I signed a lease and a year later I bought a house (for pocket change) and it rained yesterday and I hate it! There are WAY less people here, and the buildings aren't as tall. Thanks for resurrecting this inane thread. Feel free to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
His lease is probably up by now, I wonder if he moved to D.C.?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:34 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Pittsburgh just needs to learn how to tax the rest ofthe country to support the extreme wealth that DC has

Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder18 View Post
I recently spent a few days in DC and then went to Pittsburgh to sign the lease for my apartment.

Let me tell ya: I'm sorry, yinzers, but it seems like DC is so much more open and exciting than Pittsburgh.
The 'Burgh felt very closed in and sort of dreary after the vitality of the capital.

I know Pittsburgh is much much cheaper to live in, but I have to give the edge to DC as far as where I'd rather live.

Feel free to discuss!
I spent a year of my life in Dc as a child and let me tell you DC is light ahead ahead from Pittsburgh as far as excitement etc. Ofcouse its the Capital of the Us. I'm thinking about moving back there because the job market is lightspeeds ahead too right now. The nightlife is ridiculous in Dc and theres just a crap load more to do for young people period.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
As someone who currently lives in Reston, Virginia, one of DC's largest suburbs, I can safely say that I even cry sometimes because I miss Pittsburgh so much, and I don't even live there (yet). To me Pittsburgh incorporates all that I miss about my hometown of Scranton, PA (historic architecture, affordable housing, down-to-earth people, distinct neighborhoods, mountain backdrop, etc.) without many of the hang-ups it had (largely illiterate/unskilled population, homophobia, fear of change, etc.) I'll miss the diversity and abundance of museums when I arrive in Pittsburgh, but that's about all that I find positive about the area in which I currently reside. Otherwise we have the nation's second-worst traffic congestion, a high population of people who define themselves by their degree, their job, and their material net worth, uninspiring architecture just about everywhere outside the District, a mass transit system that doesn't reach many, etc., etc.

Other than "good schools" or "good jobs" I have yet to hear any other reason as to why I should stay in Fairfax County, Virginia instead of just moving to Pittsburgh, taking a pay-cut, and actually improving my quality-of-life by NOT having to spend 60% of my net income on renting a 1-BR apartment. Pittsburgh is a dream come true of a city for me, and I'm only saddened that a brief job search earlier this evening yielded only opportunities that required 2-5 years of relevant work experience (when I only have 1/2-year of accounting/audit experience to date). It seems Pittsburgh has a dearth of entry-level opportunities. What I really desire is an entry-level accounting/auditing position paying around $35,000. Does such a beast exist? All I could find were A/P or A/R clerk positions paying $12/hr. (not enough to live off of) or jobs that required 2-5 years of work experience. Is there nothing in between in Pittsburgh?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 AM

810 posts, read 2,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As someone who currently lives in Reston, Virginia, one of DC's largest suburbs, I can safely say that I even cry sometimes because I miss Pittsburgh so much, and I don't even live there (yet). To me Pittsburgh incorporates all that I miss about my hometown of Scranton, PA (historic architecture, affordable housing, down-to-earth people, distinct neighborhoods, mountain backdrop, etc.) without many of the hang-ups it had (largely illiterate/unskilled population, homophobia, fear of change, etc.) I'll miss the diversity and abundance of museums when I arrive in Pittsburgh, but that's about all that I find positive about the area in which I currently reside. Otherwise we have the nation's second-worst traffic congestion, a high population of people who define themselves by their degree, their job, and their material net worth, uninspiring architecture just about everywhere outside the District, a mass transit system that doesn't reach many, etc., etc.

Other than "good schools" or "good jobs" I have yet to hear any other reason as to why I should stay in Fairfax County, Virginia instead of just moving to Pittsburgh, taking a pay-cut, and actually improving my quality-of-life by NOT having to spend 60% of my net income on renting a 1-BR apartment. Pittsburgh is a dream come true of a city for me, and I'm only saddened that a brief job search earlier this evening yielded only opportunities that required 2-5 years of relevant work experience (when I only have 1/2-year of accounting/audit experience to date). It seems Pittsburgh has a dearth of entry-level opportunities. What I really desire is an entry-level accounting/auditing position paying around $35,000. Does such a beast exist? All I could find were A/P or A/R clerk positions paying $12/hr. (not enough to live off of) or jobs that required 2-5 years of work experience. Is there nothing in between in Pittsburgh?
as I said before the Baltimore area is probably better than Pittsburgh. the metro area is still growing steadily. it does have a decent federal presence. Probably better educated. more expensive than Pitt but still quite a bit better than DC. YOu could theoretically keep a job in the DC area and commute from the Baltimore area. people are generally more down to earth in the Baltimore area. when I say the Baltimore area I'm talking about the MSA.

here's employment statistics from the bls for pitt, baltimore and other areas they place in the mid-atlantic

CES Metropolitan Area Definitions

baltimore msa from wiki
Baltimore Metropolitan Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-27-2009, 07:35 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Obviously I don't know your exact financial situation, but if you aren't supporting anyone and aren't swimming in debt it is entirely possible to live off 12 dollars an hour here.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
[quote=ScranBarre;11358579] I'll miss the diversity and abundance of museums when I arrive in Pittsburgh, but that's about all that I find positive about the area in which I currently reside. Otherwise we have the nation's second-worst traffic congestion, a high population of people who define themselves by their degree, their job, and their material net worth, uninspiring architecture just about everywhere outside the District, a mass transit system that doesn't reach many, etc., etc. [/quote
meh. Other than a mass transit system, Pittsburgh has a pretty good museum scene. Sure, it's not subsidized by everyone like DC, but still pretty good. No offense, but I think you pmis being a Pennsylvanian. DC is a soulless place that makes its living by people in Pennsylvanian and other states down. That said, if you're a city person, there's only two big cities in PA and bother are just starting to come back to life.
Quote:
those jobs are hard to come by anywhere. people want experience anywhere. It's a tough time to be looking.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Obviously I don't know your exact financial situation, but if you aren't supporting anyone and aren't swimming in debt it is entirely possible to live off 12 dollars an hour here.
Yep. I've seen it with my own eyes. $400-$500 for rent can get you a decent place to live. Just hang out at bars with $2 beers and you'll be fine.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:17 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
As someone who currently lives in Reston, Virginia, one of DC's largest suburbs, I can safely say that I even cry sometimes because I miss Pittsburgh so much...a mass transit system that doesn't reach many, etc., etc.

Other than "good schools" or "good jobs" I have yet to hear any other reason as to why I should stay in Fairfax County, Virginia instead of just moving to Pittsburgh, taking a pay-cut, and actually improving my quality-of-life by NOT having to spend 60% of my net income on renting a 1-BR apartment....I only have 1/2-year of accounting/audit experience to date).
youve mentioned the mass transit before. metro and the connector buses work well in tandem. of course they cant go everywhere.

i never would have moved to reston if it werent for the job that brought me out here. thats key - live close to where you work. most people here in reston dont do that. or strategize to where you can have convenient mass tranit options.

i assume you are living alone. of course thats expensive! you should try a share situation. that is what i do, and i lucked out to get a good situation where the owner of this townhome (and the only other resident) is hardly ever here! look around and try to find a similar situation.

if ive concluded correctly youve been here 1/2 year? the first two years can be the toughest. i think you should stick it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh