Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:22 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times

Advertisements

Looks like it might be forced to close already due to lack of funding. Too bad. I wish I could say that I'm shocked, but I'm not. From the beginning I felt that this project was really bizarre. It had too little funding, considering the cost of tearing down almost an entire block on Liberty Ave and building this huge new cultural center. Personally, I just didn't see the demand that would be needed to keep this large of a project going. I felt that it would have been much better in a smaller building, maybe on the North Side close to the Warhol and Children's Museums. I was called a racist for saying this project was a stupid waste of taxpayers' money, but here we are.

No savior emerges for Pittsburgh arts center - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
If you are going to do a new performance center, it makes sense to do it in the Cultural District (although I was personally never happy that they tore down the buildings on that block). I think Ferlo's counterproposal to use the same money on a bunch of existing institutions/buildings makes more sense.

Anyway, arts projects all over the country are suffering financially because of the recession, so this is a fairly common tale. At a guess, all this is basically posturing at this point, meaning the center won't actually close (because that would be too harmful to too many different interests).

Old 07-11-2010, 07:04 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
It's too big, it's too ugly and it's in the wrong place= FAILER

Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM

382 posts, read 1,054,033 times
They should retro-fit it

Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
I think it's kind of odd in Pittsburgh because it has such a relatively small African-American population. Seems like something such as the Buffalo Soldiers National Museum, in a city with a lot of African-American culture and history, could use a building like that and be much more successful.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
The City itself is something like 28% black, and there is a deep black cultural history.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I'll take a wild guess that I'm one of the few that have seen every August Wilson play, especially those in the old Pittsburgh Playhouse on the NorTside. He was a great story teller, but only a blip when it comes to playwrights. Spending that much money on a triple A player was nuts. They should have dumped that money into the Crawford Grill.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 PM

382 posts, read 1,054,033 times
I get my African American culture on at the Shadow Lounge in East Liberty. Great music- soul, funk, jazz, reggae, rap nights- good drinks and a wonderful mix of people

Old 07-13-2010, 09:01 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'll take a wild guess that I'm one of the few that have seen every August Wilson play, especially those in the old Pittsburgh Playhouse on the NorTside. He was a great story teller, but only a blip when it comes to playwrights. Spending that much money on a triple A player was nuts. They should have dumped that money into the Crawford Grill.
I thought that the center was named after August Wilson, not dedicated solely to his work. I know they supposedly have an in-house jazz orchestra led by Sean Jones, and do dance and music events.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:54 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Their events are few; they are only open three days a week; the employ security guards 24/7 when an alarm system would do....
sounds like they have plenty to work on.

And it IS just named after him, not dedicated to his work.

The A-A community clamored for a place of their own. Yet attendance could be better as could donations. They need to step up and support it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh