Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:42 AM

133 posts, read 391,943 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh-area law enforcement parleys with gang leaders - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

"Officials are telling gang members they will be prosecuted if they're involved with gang related homicides."

Sorry, but this seems like a joke. Warning gangs that the city is going to uphold the law? Just do it - it's the law. Why the meeting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
As stupid as it seems, it does let the gangs know they are on the radar. It does let the gangs know that the police know who they are, and the police, not the gangs, rule the streets.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM

475 posts, read 571,302 times
Unless they actually DO something, the police can't act. Telling them you're watching will either A) Make them not act, thus needing to do nothing, or B) Give them an idea, post-meeting, who may have been involved and have a better idea of what's going on.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM

398 posts, read 702,237 times
I know nothing about the realities of gang culture, but I could see how it might have an effect on young, new recruits: make explicit that this is not a game or a way to pass time, they are being watched and monitored by living, breathing cops, and they will go to jail if they take a life.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:24 PM

291 posts, read 752,451 times
Are there white gangs in Pittsburgh?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:58 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
I am ashamed of you people. The only way to solve this gang problem is to have some compassion and empathy for these poor lost souls. They need to be treated like every other member of our community.

Therefore, I suggest that the politicians find a way to tax their criminal "corporations" to the point that they are forced out of town like the rest of the legal major corporations have been in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:07 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Are there white gangs in Pittsburgh?
I'm sure there are. A few years back,the Post Gazette ran a news story about local gangs and had a list of them in each city neighborhood (including some "white" neighborhoods.) I'll try to find the article and post it.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
I am ashamed of you people. The only way to solve this gang problem is to have some compassion and empathy for these poor lost souls. They need to be treated like every other member of our community.

Therefore, I suggest that the politicians find a way to tax their criminal "corporations" to the point that they are forced out of town like the rest of the legal major corporations have been in Pittsburgh.
I realize you're being sarcastic, but compassion, to start with, can never hurt as a first option.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:33 PM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
In college they teach you that gangs only works in places where the situation is so bad that either you get protection - being a large group - belonging to a gang or that because you are in a certain gang, it allows you to live in a certain neighborhood.

I'm not really sure if there is white gangs or not. My comment about the KKK the other night was not appreciated.

But what I will say is that if a young person has a job and is not into crime or drugs, there is no reason for them to belong to a gang, other then peer pressure.

I was sitting in the parking lot of a Sheetz in New Alexandria today and there was a big sign outside the store that said that loitering was prohibited and that they would call the cops if you hung out there.

Maybe if more cops were willing to arrest kids that are just hanging out - getting into trouble, maybe the parents would get more involved and there would be less gangs and less crime.

With all the single parent homes out there right now and with all the latch key children, there is no way to stop the gang activity. Parents has to work and people other then family members are raising your kids and they are not always the best role models - just the people that you can get the cheapest.

The government ought to have some type of test that you have to take before you are allowed to become a parent - just like they do for driving a car or hunting. Some people are so stupid that they shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:12 AM

Kids just hanging out aren't by default breaking the law. What do you expect them to arrest innocent people for?

Suspicion of existence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh