Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:38 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times

Advertisements

I read Scott's post as sarcasm - making a good point out of a high school that will be missed by some of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I read Scott's post as sarcasm - making a good point out of a high school that will be missed by some of us.
I just found it funny that she is upset and never attended the school in the first place.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Someone needs to tip off a right wing talk show host about the school named after Obama. I'll bring the popcorn and we'll all sit back and let the butthurt ensue.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Ive always wanted to go to peabody when i was younger but now that i have experienced it i hate this school.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
There will be no more "PEABODY AIN'T NOBODY, CAUSE PEOPLE AIN'T SH*&T" chants at rival city football/basketball games, none of that.

LOL, love it! That may be my new favorite cheer. Yes, I agree that IS a loss.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
It is interesting to see how much shake up is in the city schools. I really liked Schenley and the location, but it is gone. Peabody is now gone. The new Schenley is now in operation. I don't care for the building from the outside, but not sure about the inside. It does have a nice park there to practice sports on though and that is a plus. I wonder what is going on with the city schools? The H.S.'s test in the lowest of low when it comes to state averages. When I read that I was a bit surprised. I just assumed Philly would be much worse than Pitt when it comes to that, but it wasn't. With all these changes and now kids can go where ever they want within the city limits, how is that going to play out? Will a couple of good high schools come out of these moves instead of having them all not doing well? I hope they can sort it out and really have some inner-city pride in some of the city schools. Guess we will see in 4-5 years.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
As we were discussing elsewhere, the City high schools aren't all bad, most notably CAPA and Allderdice.

But I do think the idea is to build on some of the momentum established in earlier grades and transform the high schools as well. I'm particularly interested to see how the 6-12 schools end up doing (CAPA, Obama/IB, Sci-Tech, and Milliones). Part of the idea is to preserve continuity and help avoid some of the problems student can have when trying to make the leap to high school. Generally they are going to a model where most students should only do two schools: a K-8 and 9-12, or a K-5 and 6-12.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:56 PM
gg

Seems to me the whole idea is to segregate kids again, except this time it isn't done by neighborhood or race, it is done more if students want to work instead of wasting time. At least that is how it seem to me. I hope it gets better and better.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:14 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Seems to me the whole idea is to segregate kids again, except this time it isn't done by neighborhood or race, it is done more if students want to work instead of wasting time.
They are definitely making more and more use of magnet programs, but I don't know if I would use the term "segregation" for magnet programs, and in fact a lot of the magnet programs are embedded in neighborhood schools, so there isn't a total separation.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:55 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
They are definitely making more and more use of magnet programs, but I don't know if I would use the term "segregation" for magnet programs, and in fact a lot of the magnet programs are embedded in neighborhood schools, so there isn't a total separation.
I think they came to the conclusion there needs to be some segregation. The idea of some of these kids that are dealing drugs in 8th grade or may younger and getting that easy money to be with students that hope to contribute to society is silly. There are going to be plenty of lost causes. Best to let some kids excel though. Why punish them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh