Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 08:16 AM

6 posts, read 9,063 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am going to be transferring to downtown Pittsburgh for my job in the coming months from Florida. I am very excited as I am a Midwest girl originally and have missed my 4 seasons and trees!

I am trying to do some research on where to find a rental and would like to ask for some help. I will be working downtown on Penn Ave but do not want to really live in the city.

I have a yellow lab that loves to hike with me and I would really like to find us a 1-2 bedroom somewhere with a yard and near by lakes and woods to swim and hike in. I don't need much. Just really want to stay within about 30 miles of the city. Biggest concerns are safety and setting. This midwest country girl misses her rural upbringing!! Any suggestions on areas to look would really be appreciated!

Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:59 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,717 times
I would first draw grab a map, draw a 30 mile radius and research commute times. Some will really test your patience!

Old 09-04-2010, 01:34 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole70 View Post
Hi everyone! I am going to be transferring to downtown Pittsburgh for my job in the coming months from Florida. I am very excited as I am a Midwest girl originally and have missed my 4 seasons and trees!

I am trying to do some research on where to find a rental and would like to ask for some help. I will be working downtown on Penn Ave but do not want to really live in the city.

I have a yellow lab that loves to hike with me and I would really like to find us a 1-2 bedroom somewhere with a yard and near by lakes and woods to swim and hike in. I don't need much. Just really want to stay within about 30 miles of the city. Biggest concerns are safety and setting. This midwest country girl misses her rural upbringing!! Any suggestions on areas to look would really be appreciated!

Nicole
Congrats and welcome! Not sure what you consider a tolerable commute, but a lot of people live the lifestyle you are suggesting from the edges of Allegheny County but also in Washington County to the south, Butler County to the north, Westmoreland County to the east and Beaver County to the west. Assuming an hour commute , you can probably get further into the country if you go north. Look at a map and go up 79 past around Cranberry or Mars to find some rentals. Evans City and Zelienople a really nice but may be more than an hour during rush hour. The commute from the south is a little tougher because of the tunnel, but you can get to Cecil within an hour. A little further west of there you have McDonald, Midway, and Burgettstown. 'Probably more than an hour to commute. Some people in the south drive to the light rail station in Bethel Park and take the "T" in, which is a 30 minute ride. Peters Township or McMurray may be options...not a lot of rentals there though.
I don't know much about Westmoreland County but you might look into Murraysville. When you're out in the country you're probably going to be renting a small house, so you might want to hook up with a realtor from the area to help you find something.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:43 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
I suggest you look into the North Hills (Ross, McCandless, etc..). If you want to stretch your 30 minute requirement look into Cranberry and Wexford.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:38 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,392 times
The problem with the North Hills, Cranberry, Wexford is that you have to drive too far to find a lake where you can swim with your dog (Lake Arthur doesn't allow it). I would suggest Northeastern Allegheny County or Westmoreland County.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:09 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
The problem with the North Hills, Cranberry, Wexford is that you have to drive too far to find a lake where you can swim with your dog (Lake Arthur doesn't allow it). I would suggest Northeastern Allegheny County or Westmoreland County.
Its true that finding a lake will be a challenge. I have known people from another area that have commented on how few lakes we have, and they're right. Rivers we have, and you can swim in the Allegheny in spots. There are some lakes around for fishing and dog-play etc. but I can't think of one for swimming off the top of my head.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM

16 posts, read 24,123 times
Just something to think about:

If you live South of the city you have to deal with the Fort Pitt Tunnel and the Parkway West or the Liberty Tubes (that’s tunnel to the rest of the world) and Routes 19, 51 & 88.

East of the city you have the Parkway East and the Squirrel Hill Tunnel or Route 28 (construction for the next 4 years).

West is Route 65 or The Parkway West.

North is I-279.

My opinion, North is the fastest and easiest.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
We have parks with small lakes but swimming in them isn't authorized, not even for ducks or geese. There are spots in the woods called swimming holes. I didn't know this one existed, Jackson Falls in Apollo is east of the city: SwimmingHoles.info Pennsylvania Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors

Photos: http://www.schaeffersite.com/jacksonfalls/falls.html

Apollo is near Murrysville. There are some farms/stables and horse trails in the vicinity. Plum probably has the most rentals in the area. I can't think of any shortcuts to downtown. You'd be stuck taking Rt. 22 to Parkway East.
of apollo pa area - Google Maps

Lower Burrell is close but Rt. 28 has become under construction as mentioned and that's a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh