Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch81385 View Post
Living on the west side of the city I could never imagine living over on the east side. I couldn't deal with tunnel traffic every time I wanted to go into the city. That being said, many people love it over there.
Isn't the west side of Pittsburgh where you have to go through a tunnel to get into the city, i.e., downtown and/or Oakland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:00 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Isn't the west side of Pittsburgh where you have to go through a tunnel to get into the city, i.e., downtown and/or Oakland?
No. You can enter the city via Route 51 and get off at the Oakland exit before the Squirrel hill tunnel.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:13 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyteeth4 View Post
Looking to live in the Pittsburgh area. Looking for an area where I can get a decent size house for under $200,000 in a safe neighborhood with pretty good schools. I am looking for all this with no more than a 45 to 60 minute commute to downtown Pittsburgh..

Any ideas?
Well that narrows it down to about 75% of the area.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
No. You can enter the city via Route 51 and get off at the Oakland exit before the Squirrel hill tunnel.
Do you take a bridge to get from Route 51 to the Oakland exit?

The OP said he didn't want to live in the east end because he'd have to go through a tunnel to get downtown. Was he talking about the Squirrel Hill tunnel? There's a lot of the east end before you get to the tunnel.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossewa View Post
Mt. Lebanon.

It is a fairly large "streetcar" suburb with 30k people, divided into distinct sub-neighborhoods. A 200k budget means you won't be living in the snobby areas that give Mt. Lebanon a bad rep with the rest of Pittsburgh. Look for a house in the triangle formed by Cochran, Bower Hill, and Washington roads; it has a great mix of architecture and is within easy walking distance of the library, schools, and the central business district. We have lived here six years and really enjoy it. My first choice, to be completely honest, was not the South Hills but rather Allegheny West or Manchester for the amazing old houses. My wife insisted upon quality schools and not being afraid all the time, so I lost the debate in round one... Since you put schools and safety high on your list, I think you would love it here.

If you are a Republican, consider Upper St. Clair. Its like the evil twin of Mt. Lebanon...
I thought this was pretty funny and more or less on point- though I'm not sure which one is evil!. The differences are not as vast politically anymore though. The character of the two areas are very different, obviously.

I've lived in both and have sort of enjoyed the rivalry!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,903 times
Babyteeth,
If you can give me more information on what you actually want in a house for $200,000, I can give you give you specific information. I moved here from Australia and chose an area based on a specific list of needs. Maybe I can help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh