Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 AM
wfz wfz started this thread

28 posts, read 62,100 times

Advertisements

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry and went for a state inspection. The shop quoted me $2,200 for repair in order to pass. All items are not safety related. For example: Struts need to replaced because it bounced 3 times instead of 2 when pushed, gas tank showed traces of leaking while I saw only a few dry spot on tank. CV joints replacement. None of them appear to be of any safety issue to me. I wonder if there are better shops that will not try to rip you off by allowing you to pass at the minimum.

Thanks for the help,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,022 times
Inspection stations are everywhere.

You'd probably get a more concise answer if you said what part of town you're in. (It wouldn't make much sense for somebody from Cranberry to take their car to a garage in Bethel Park, ya know?)

Having said that, I have to agree that some places will try to wring every last penny out of you, while others will overlook minor stuff. Only a qualified mechanic actually looking at your car would know whether the things you describe are actual problems or the shop taking advantage of you.

(I used to know a mechanic in Homewood who'd pass just about anything for a price. He called it the "no more tears" inspection program, but I think they caught up with him...)

Old 09-06-2010, 09:37 AM

475 posts, read 571,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfz View Post
I have a 1994 Toyota Camry and went for a state inspection. The shop quoted me $2,200 for repair in order to pass. All items are not safety related. For example: Struts need to replaced because it bounced 3 times instead of 2 when pushed, gas tank showed traces of leaking while I saw only a few dry spot on tank. CV joints replacement. None of them appear to be of any safety issue to me. I wonder if there are better shops that will not try to rip you off by allowing you to pass at the minimum.

Thanks for the help,
Um... all of those are serious safety issues if they're not in proper working condition, actually.

And passing at the minimum is not something to shoot for. In fact, I'd rather you didn't drive than have a car that just barely passes inspection.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:16 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,103 times
If it really needs that much work, it might be time for a new one. The car is 16 yrs old.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:16 PM

366 posts, read 944,149 times
Pennzoil...

Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
If it really needs that much work, it might be time for a new one. The car is 16 yrs old.
It's not a major amount of work. The issue is the shop's prices are high due to the book hours.

Aside from the leaky gas tank (Which could be as big a deal as "OH GOD HOLE IN TANK!" or as small as "Oh hey this line needs replaced.") it's all stuff that can be done in an afternoon with little more than a socket set, a jack, and some jack stands, with a little know-how.

Hell, find the parts for ~$200-300 and I'd be willing to give a hand doing the work.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:46 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,811 times
Ask around. There are tons of inspection places. Many will put a sticker on your car without inspecting it if you slip them a few bucks or they know you. Of course, I wouldn't rat anyone out like that over the internet, but I suggest you ask your friends and family about it...especially if they have old junker vehicles.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
It's not a major amount of work. The issue is the shop's prices are high due to the book hours.

Aside from the leaky gas tank (Which could be as big a deal as "OH GOD HOLE IN TANK!" or as small as "Oh hey this line needs replaced.") it's all stuff that can be done in an afternoon with little more than a socket set, a jack, and some jack stands, with a little know-how.

Hell, find the parts for ~$200-300 and I'd be willing to give a hand doing the work.
Have at it, a car that old will not be easy due to rust and corrosion, believe me I have worked on many old cars.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 AM

As have I. There's one sitting in my garage. '94 isn't that old.

I have plenty of PB Blaster and a propane torch (Not to be used simultaneously, of course.)

Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 PM

91 posts, read 237,822 times
Blaster, a BMF'n Hammer, and a good breaker bar are great combination around here.
Oh, and don't forget the vice grips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh