Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,904,499 times

Advertisements

Agree we have too many "Default" suggestions for new comers...But with Pittsburgh neighborhood all being distinct and unique from the next its hard to tell what would fit a new comer best...So a place like Shadyside is the best "Temp" neighborhood to suggest for Yups because it in essence defines the Yup lifestyle....and its proximity to all other city neighborhoods its the perfect location for a new comer to scout where they want to lay roots....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 07:48 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,043,149 times
I try pretty hard to make sure I am tailoring my suggestions to individual posters, and frequently ask for additional information, as I did in this case.

The fact is that given what this poster wrote, Shadyside is a good fit. Plus, it is a good initial neighborhoods for the reasons given above.

Last edited by BrianTH; 10-13-2010 at 08:12 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,972,359 times
Shadyside is a good neighborhood for someone moving here. There are a lot of other people from other cities living there, the rents are very reasonable compared to New York, there is a lot to do, it's a good mix of lots of different people from around the coutnry and the world. It's easy to get into the whole city vibe there.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 AM

408 posts, read 992,555 times
not sure that the original poster described himself as a "Yup".. I doubt many people around the age of 30 are going to come on here and say..

"Yes, I am 30 and I would like to find a neighborhood with a large senior center and knitting club" or "I am 30 but I like to be the old head hanging around at freshman parties".

Old 10-13-2010, 09:00 AM

We get younger people on here all the time who have families and are looking for something in the suburbs. Or who don't have families but would prefer something pretty rural. And so forth.

The OP didn't just say they were 28 and single. They also said they were looking for something "in the city or a city-like environment." They said they were "looking for a place with other young, professional, single people." They wrote, "I don't want to party with 18 year-old's, but I definitely don't want to live in a quiet, suburban setting." They further wrote, "I'm a writer who enjoys being around other artists, but definitely not hipster wannabe's." Finally, they said cost isn't a factor.

Come ON now. All that makes Shadyside in particular an excellent fit. The fact it is a common suggestion doesn't not make that any less true in this particular case.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,306,795 times
Regent Square, if you can.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Regent Square, if you can.
We love Regent Square (where we live), but I would wonder if it is quite what the OP is looking for. There are definitely young single professionals living here, and there is a decent collection of bars and restaurants in the small commercial district, but not nearly on the same scale as Shadyside.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 AM

408 posts, read 992,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We get younger people on here all the time who have families and are looking for something in the suburbs. Or who don't have families but would prefer something pretty rural. And so forth.

The OP didn't just say they were 28 and single. They also said they were looking for something "in the city or a city-like environment." They said they were "looking for a place with other young, professional, single people." They wrote, "I don't want to party with 18 year-old's, but I definitely don't want to live in a quiet, suburban setting." They further wrote, "I'm a writer who enjoys being around other artists, but definitely not hipster wannabe's." Finally, they said cost isn't a factor.

Come ON now. All that makes Shadyside in particular an excellent fit. The fact it is a common suggestion doesn't not make that any less true in this particular case.
Fair enough, although I think defining "hipster wannabe" is a little difficult, and I am not so sure that shadyside is not full of them.

.. and that doesn't change the likelihood that had the OP asked for something completely different, 90% of the recommendations would have been shadyside..

Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
Fair enough, although I think defining "hipster wannabe" is a little difficult, and I am not so sure that shadyside is not full of them.
I was more thinking Lawrenceville/Bloomfield, but some people might call those bonafide hipsters. The more I think about it, the more the phrase "hipster wannabe" is kinda interesting--aren't they all wannabes?

Quote:
.. and that doesn't change the likelihood that had the OP asked for something completely different, 90% of the recommendations would have been shadyside..
I'll grant you that Shadyside may be somewhat over-recommended (although I don't think this is a good example). On the other hand, I think the point we were making above is valid: as long as you can afford it, Shadyside is a fairly safe bet for a first neighborhood in Pittsburgh (assuming you are a young single and want something in the City with some nightlife). And with a lot of other neighborhoods, it can be tough to really convey an accurate picture over the Internet.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 PM

16 posts, read 21,088 times
Hey everyone! Just spent the weekend in Pittsburgh and got a feel for neighborhoods. I'm not into Shadyside. Lovely area, but a little too gentrified for my taste. However, I LOVED Lawrenceville. Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I can't wait to move!

BTW, I'm a girl. I noticed someone called me a guy earlier. And I'm not a Yup. But thanks for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh