Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:47 AM

82 posts, read 266,119 times

Advertisements

We went to Idlewild last Saturday and had a great time for their Halloween theme. It was just enough for the little ones to have fun and not be scared.

What are the best places to go to enjoy a hayride, corn maze and a pumpkin patch? It needs to be kid friendly and we will probably end up going to a few different places before Halloween.

I have been to Allen's Hayride and it was great, but way too scary for the little ones. I do recommend that one for adults though.

Let me know what you think. We don't mind taking a trip to one of our surrounding counties so that opens things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:51 AM

783 posts, read 2,023,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sz89128 View Post
We went to Idlewild last Saturday and had a great time for their Halloween theme. It was just enough for the little ones to have fun and not be scared.

What are the best places to go to enjoy a hayride, corn maze and a pumpkin patch? It needs to be kid friendly and we will probably end up going to a few different places before Halloween.

I have been to Allen's Hayride and it was great, but way too scary for the little ones. I do recommend that one for adults though.

Let me know what you think. We don't mind taking a trip to one of our surrounding counties so that opens things up.

Allen's is always fun. I've been there a lot. Have you tried Rich Farms in Fayette County? They have a nice hayride that is pretty tame, so kids can ride. They used to have a haunted house and corn maze, but I don't know if the maze is still around. They also have a pumpkin patch and you can rent areas for bonfires, make some smores, etc.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
We went to Trax Farms in Finleyville (about 12 miles south of Pittsburgh) last weekend. It was very family-friendly (we have a 4 year old), and in addition to the hayride/corn-maze/pumpkin-patch experience, they have a festival area with small rides, concessions, and pumpkin piles the kids like to climb on.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:51 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,690,453 times
Columbiana Maze Craze -

I go by this place on my way to work. There are always at least 80 cars there 9:30 at night. They have two concession stands. One sells Italian sausage, and French fries. The other sells ice cream.

It's about 8 miles West of the Pa./Ohio line on route 14. Route 51 out of Chippewa turns into 14 at the State line.

There is another one on route 46 heading North to Canfield. It looks like it has all of the same fun stuff, but I never see any cars there.

If you look at their photos, you will see an old barn on the property. That barn once belonged to Harvey Firestone. This was the original Firestone farm before Harvey moved to Akron to become a tire tycoon.

Last edited by South Range Family; 10-09-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-09-2010, 05:00 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,957 times
Janoski's out in Clinton, Pa (past Imperial) does a pretty decent job. My kids ages 13, 11 and 7 enjoy the activities they have there. Not too expensive either.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times
Soergels in Wexford is pretty awesome, too...right off of 79 (Wexford/910 exit). There were lots of different activities for the kids, besides the traditional hayride, etc.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,878 times
Has anyone been to Schramm's or Kerber Dairy's pumpkin patch? Just wondering how they compare.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 AM

82 posts, read 266,119 times
Default Simmon's

We went out to Simmon's Farm in Peters Township yesterday and had a nice time. They had a pumpkin patch with the hayride. It was about $33 for myself, my wife, and our daughter to take the hayride and each pick a pumpkin.

They had a corn maze but it was getting close to closing so they wouldn't let us in the maze. They said you need about 2 hours to complete it. I find that hard to believe as it didn't seem that big.

They had a small petting area with goats and you could also pick apples if you wanted to.

All in all it was fun but I would prefer a place that is not in the middle of the suburbs. Taking a drive out to the county is half the fun, isn't it?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,658 times
I think the best bang for the buck is Triple B farms out along the Mon. River south of Elizabeth, PA. We have been to Schramms and Traxx and like Triple B the best. Triple B is nice and spread out...

We took our kids and the visting inlaws from Houston and their 3 kids there this past Sat. and everyone had a great time. $10 for kids 3 and older, $7 for adults and kids 2 and under are free. They have the hayride, corn maze, corn tunnels, bouncy tunnel and slide, pony rides, kids barn/playhouse, animal petting/feeding (ducklings, chickens, donkeys, goats), a decent haunted house that is good for 3 or 4 yr olds and up, 2 big tunnel slides (ride down on a potato sack), large playground with slides and rope maze, pumpkin patch, and they have large scenes set up with scarecrow/pumpkin figures themed after recent kids movies, disney flicks, cartoons, etc. It is fun walking through trying to figure out what each one is. They have a large concession area and a big store selling produce, fudge, pies, candles, etc.

Hit Autumnfest and the brunch buffet at 7 Springs on Sunday. That was nice too. Only had to pay $3 for parking. Pretty busy weekend for everyone.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:15 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,676,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sz89128 View Post
They had a corn maze but it was getting close to closing so they wouldn't let us in the maze. They said you need about 2 hours to complete it. I find that hard to believe as it didn't seem that big.
It's been about 10 years since I was last there, but I remember being very surprised at how long it took and how well done their corn maze was. I was very close to thinking I'd never find my way out. It was likely not 2 hours, but I remember that it did twist and turn back on itself quite a bit and was kinda tricky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh