Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,951,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Does anybody else feel like a steak?
I've never liked steak, not even a "good" steak. Maybe filet mignon, if there's absolutely nothing I want in the fish category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM

408 posts, read 995,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pic-chic View Post
They're only impeding someone's rights if they actually physically prevent someone from doing something. Telling kids how animals get treated is not impeding their rights.
But I don't like PETA either.
I don't know that such extreme political activism should be permitted at a school.. I realize that there is a fine line, but PETA generally crosses well over it. They put inciting an emotional response well ahead of presenting actual facts.

In other words, explaining to a kid that the circus is not a humane way for wild animals to live is a bit different than showing them random pics of mutilated animals and blaming them for supporting it it.

Students themselves are censored at schools and the school systems generally believe that kids are exempt from their constitutional rights when at school. I don't see why some political activist group gets free reign. Hell, aren't kids taught not to talk to strangers? And don't people usually think you are trying to commit some heinous crime if you are talking to a strange child? So why the support for these people standing out front of a school talking to kids?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
I don't know that such extreme political activism should be permitted at a school.
I went back and reread the article. They weren't doing anything "extreme." It's a good idea for kids to find out the truth about what horrible living environments circuses and zoos are for animals.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I went back and reread the article. They weren't doing anything "extreme." It's a good idea for kids to find out the truth about what horrible living environments circuses and zoos are for animals.
The article doesn't say what they were doing, it just says they were protesting. PETA has made a reputation for themself of being extreme. Yes, I am jumping to conclusions, but its an educated guess. And, if you do a bit of googling, you will see that telling the truth isn't exactly one of PETAs best characteristics.

I am all for humane treatment of animals, yet I still don't see why its inappropriate for adults to talk unsolicited to children, unless its about animal abuse?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM

32,637 posts, read 77,905,766 times
Quote:
In other words, explaining to a kid that the circus is not a humane way for wild animals to live is a bit different than showing them random pics of mutilated animals and blaming them for supporting it it.
Agreed. I'm actually one who tends to side with PETA on many issues as an animal lover, but I can already picture them making young children cry by saying "YOU killed Dumbo!"

Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,216,820 times
I think the treatment of animals is an adult issue. Of course, PETA thinks kids are the equivalent of rats.

Ingrid Newkirk - Wikiquote

Animal liberationists do not separate out the human animal, so there is no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They are all mammals
Vogue 1989September 1
Attributed variants:
"When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy"
"A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They’re all animals." — Washingtonian magazine, 1986August 1

Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I still don't see why its inappropriate for adults to talk unsolicited to children, unless its about animal abuse.
I don't know what you're talking about here.

I never talk to children. "Stranger danger" paranoia is too much for a sane person to deal with. And what you end up with is a generation of twentysomethings who are afraid of "old" people.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I don't know what you're talking about here.

I never talk to children. "Stranger danger" paranoia is too much for a sane person to deal with. And what you end up with is a generation of twentysomethings who are afraid of "old" people.

Right, so why should strangers (PETA members) approach children at schools?

I took some time to look at some of the stuff they have handed out at schools in the past:

Fried chicken buckets filled with fake blood and bones:
FOXNews.com - PETA Targets KFC With 'Buckets of Blood' - U.S. & World

Anti-dairy trading cards portraying children with illnesses after drinking milk (I agree that dairy is not a dietary requirement for humans, not with the method of delivery of the information):
"Tell me the truth about milk": Peta's MilkSucks campaign and the battle for consumer attention: Food news & analysis

"Your Mommy Kills Animals" comic book:
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/downl...mommykills.pdf

Burger king crowns covered in blood:
PETA Targets Children — And Lies Again | AnimalRights.Net

And meanwhile, they are euthanizing 80% of the animals coming into their shelters!
Ingrid Newkirk - PETA's Shame

Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,658,946 times
Quote:
And meanwhile, they are euthanizing 80% of the animals coming into their shelters!
PETA are hypocrites.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Right, so why should strangers (PETA members) approach children at schools?

I took some time to look at some of the stuff they have handed out at schools in the past:

Fried chicken buckets filled with fake blood and bones:
FOXNews.com - PETA Targets KFC With 'Buckets of Blood' - U.S. & World

Anti-dairy trading cards portraying children with illnesses after drinking milk (I agree that dairy is not a dietary requirement for humans, not with the method of delivery of the information):
"Tell me the truth about milk": Peta's MilkSucks campaign and the battle for consumer attention: Food news & analysis

"Your Mommy Kills Animals" comic book:
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/downl...mommykills.pdf

Burger king crowns covered in blood:
PETA Targets Children — And Lies Again | AnimalRights.Net

I didn't know PETA were so horrible (particularly this last link). I've always assumed its enemies have such an agenda, they're probably lying.

I don't have much of a problem with educating people of whatever age about the horribility of factory chicken and egg production. I hardly ever eat chicken, after reading about chicken production in the mid-'90s, and I haven't had a single egg since reading recently about egg "farms" that are more like concentration camps for chickens.

This thread is really as much consideration as I've ever given PETA. I can imagine animal lovers getting very caught up in their mission, and maybe taking things too far (it's been a plotline on The Simpsons and several eps of Law & Order). I can't really condemn them for everything they do, though. At least someone's doing something for animals. I would not want to be some poor animal in a lab where they're testing makeup. It would be a much better world if no one wore makeup. And would we really know anything about this practice if it weren't for PETA.

This is really all I have to say on the subject. Obviously I'm not passionate enough about it to be a PETA member, but I think they probably do more good than bad.

I'll read these articles more completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh