Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,281 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Pittsburgh area in about a month and I have a few questions. I will only be leasing a home and I am noticing that many places have on street parking only. I've tried searching the internet and cannot find anything regarding parking ban policies. If I only had on street parking, where would I park during the ban?

My other question is... Does anyone have any pro's and con's to living in Bellevue or Avalon? I have seen some nice homes in the area.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:47 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvw10 View Post
I will be moving to the Pittsburgh area in about a month and I have a few questions. I will only be leasing a home and I am noticing that many places have on street parking only. I've tried searching the internet and cannot find anything regarding parking ban policies. If I only had on street parking, where would I park during the ban?

My other question is... Does anyone have any pro's and con's to living in Bellevue or Avalon? I have seen some nice homes in the area.

Thanks everyone!
A) No idea what you mean by parking ban policies. There are places in the City of Pittsburgh that have parking permits, but those are easy to obtain.

B) Bellvue and Avalon are fine places.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:57 PM

Thanks! When I lived up North, during times where there was a lot of snow, the cities would implement parking bans where you could not have your car on the street. The homes I am finding say for parking "1 - On Street Parking" or "2 - On Street Parking". In residential neighborhoods, in Bellevue for example, does each homeowner just have a parking permit allowing them to remain parked there? I am a little confused.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Some streets in the City of Pittsburgh are permit only at least at certain times of day. Those permits are obtained through the Parking Authority. In somewhere like Bellevue, I have no idea if they have permits or not. Other than that, typically it's unmetered street parking that they're talking about.

Nothing particularly wrong with Bellevue, although you might say a drawback (if you care to drink alcohol) is that it's a dry town. You can't buy any alcohol there. Avalon next door is a bit less reputable perhaps but can still be fine. It's worth nothing that directly across the river at Avalon (on Neville Island, actually, in the middle of the river) is a coke plant so some might find pollution to be an issue. Obviously it's supposed to meet certain guidelines, but it doesn't always, etc.

The businesses not on Rt 65 are in Bellevue for the most part; there aren't too many in Avalon, Ben Avon or Emsworth (which are the next towns to the north along the river, in order) that are back in the neighborhood. These are bedroom type communities, not very much destination for anyone else. That could actually be on the verge of change for Bellevue, which may at some point decide to lift the alcohol sales ban. It's still being talked about. I personally think that could spur a bit more growth there and make it a quite appealing close-in suburb. Not that it's bad now, but, you know, if you're gonna be in a walkable town, a bar (or restaurant where you can get a drink without having to have planned ahead to bring your own bottle) is something a fair number of people might want to walk to.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
In residential neighborhoods, in Bellevue for example, does each homeowner just have a parking permit allowing them to remain parked there? I am a little confused.
As far as residential street parking in Bellevue, I'm pretty sure it's first come first served. You don't have permits or assigned spots, you park wherever you can find.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 AM

Ok, thanks so much for all of the responses!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Default The value of the chair

I lived in Bellevue, renting my first apartment on North Fremont a number of years ago. It was great with the sidewalks and walking to the many local businesses. That is, until we got that first major snow storm. I spent a couple of hours digging my car out of the snow, and drove to the local grocery store (sidewalks were covered with snow, and I would have needed to walk in the narrow street). I wasn't gone more than 30 minutes, but upon returning, my regular parking space had been "hijacked" by one of the neighbors. Two rules of Bellevue that no one tells you: (1) have a folding chair ready to hold your on-street parking space; and (2) clean the sidewalks in front of your apartment very soon, or you will be fined!!!

Old 10-31-2010, 05:36 PM

When searching... That is the only thing I came up with was the "Pittsburgh Chair". It seems like such a nice home, but the "on street" parking is what worries me and if the city puts a parking ban into effect, where I would go.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,255 times
I have lived in Bellevue now for 20 years and I like it very much ( obviously, or I would have moved by now!). Some streets are a little tight with the onstreet parking.
The only areas that have the "permit parking" are Division Ave near the rear of AGH Suburban and Balph Ave. close to Lincoln Ave that runs through town.O/W,anyone can park on public streets.
Bellevue is a very small, but densely packed with homes and apartment buildings.It's a very popular rental area but still maintains many residents who live in and own their homes. Some streets are tight with on street parking. You're best bet is to check out the street you plan on moving to by driving by around 10pm at night. I would do this a few times on different nights. This will enable you to better assess the true picture of on street parking availability by doing this.
Bellevue is a decently safe, and very convenient area. It has a very high community walkability score. There is also very good bus service to downtown Pittsburgh/Oakland areas. Bellevue Boro also does a super job with leaf pickup, street sweeping and snow removal.
If you want my opinion on parking on any streets feel free to DM me ( or ask here) and I will get back to you.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,891 times
Rather than start another thread with the exact same title, hopefully you won't mind if I glom onto this one. Moving to Pittsburgh to start a new job on Dec. 6 at the VA H. John Heinz III Progressive Care Center on Delafield Road. Any suggestions on apartments within a reasonable radius (5-10 miles) of the complex. I'm married and looking for a 2BR unit in the $800-$1000 a month range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh