Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:07 PM

325 posts, read 1,076,935 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of a near 5 yr old boy here in Pittsburgh. I enjoy spending time with my son but have run out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas outside of the obvious? We have done the library, museum, Kennywood, and lunch. I am not a creative thinker so if any of you are creative and make up your own activities those ideas are welcome as well. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
. Does anyone have any ideas outside of the obvious?
The Carnegie Science Center is definitely obvious. Still, I had to recommend it.

How about drive-in movies? Mini golf? Paddle boats at one of the many state parks around? I always liked doing those things growing up!

Also, there's another thread similar to this one from a ways back. I didn't read through it to see if there were good suggestions or not, but here you go...

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ittsburgh.html

CaptainO

Last edited by CaptainObvious; 07-09-2007 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
There is always Dave & Buster's in the afternoon before the 20-something crowd shows up. The lights and noise will keep him distracted for hours....

Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I always enjoyed the free things like taking him to the playground, walking in the woods, playing in the leaves, feeding the ducks at North Park, riding bicycles together, sled riding, building snowmen, roller blading (together!).

He's at just the right age for you to start working on his hand eye coordination if you want him to be good at sports. Start playing lots of catch. Eventually move up to hitting a baseball. If you don't know how to teach it, I'm sure you can find tips online to give him (keep your eye on the ball is the only tip I know.) Trust me, the hand eye coordination skill for sports is something parents and kids work at accomplishing. My son never really gained the skill because we didn't really spend the time. As a result, he does best at sports where he can play defense positions (lacrosse, football, etc.).

For spending money, the roller skating rink usually wears them out good! And you'll never believe it, but little boys that age get a BIG KICK out of doing something fancy and grown up. For instance, my son's preschool did a tea party, complete with real china, and I was amazed at how excited he was about it--before and after!

Goodness, those years were so long ago. I'm going to have to remember some more ideas. I can't believe how fast time flies. It's been 10 years. Mine is 15 now!

Old 07-10-2007, 06:12 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
My boys love the incline when we visit. I'd also recommend a trip out to the huge pool at North Park -- most likely the biggest community pool he (and you) have ever seen.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM

121 posts, read 367,676 times
The wave pool at Boyce Park is a lot of fun. Try to go on a weekday if you can, because it gets crowded.

If you haven't taken him to the zoo lately you should - the new Water's edge exhibit is very nice. He'll love seeing polar bears, otters and sea lions swim right over him.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Idlewild Park is great for kids.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Another thing to do, at least once, is a trip on the "Good Ship Lollipop".

Old 07-18-2007, 08:53 PM

14 posts, read 57,848 times
Smile things to do with a 5 year old in PGH

Recently took our kids (ages 5 and 9) to the city for the Vintage Car Race and while there stopped at the park just in front of the Cathedral of Learning where there is a carousel, kids had a blast. From there we walked around and ended up at the Library where they had a great...and cheap..time!

Yesterday we took them to Brady's Run Park here in Beaver County. They have kiddie boat rentals for 2 dollars an hour and they had a blast. Then rented a two person kayak and took turns taking them around the lake for 8 dollars an hour. They also have a swim area and the kids had a ball in there too. Another cheap and fun day.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:46 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
The Children's Museum is one of the best in the country. The aviary, Phipps, local community parks within walking distance, etc.

Advice, let him find some simple things he likes to do himself. He doesn't have to be entertained 24/7. You might be asking for trouble when he gets a little older if he doesn't know what to do with downtime or how to self-entertain.

Last edited by chielgirl; 07-22-2007 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: removed a word

Old 07-24-2007, 07:18 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
The Good Ship Lollipop

Pittsburgh Zoo

Carnegie Science Center

Scalleys Mini Golf (near the airport)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh