Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Good information.

Yeah, consistent what you are saying, I haven't seen any other sources anywhere with numbers like this.

Also, the smaller precinct numbers. In my experience, even with zip codes, sometimes they can be very misleading when just having percentages. I mean, some zips have like 100 people, so just a couple families in there and suddenly its 15% Asian or something.
I would say the county percentages are fairly accurate but I wouldn't put much stock or try to look for a trend from a little census precincts for the reasons you said. You think they would be able to give you population considering all the other information you can get from the New York Times map. It would help explain why the county is 2% Asian but some precincts are 20% Asian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
The ACS contains a LOT more information than the Census. It is also done every year.

Because it only goes to a fraction of households, it is in fact subject to sampling error. That is why the smaller the unit, the more years they lump together before reporting--you can get annual data for the bigger units, but for the smallest units they will only give 5-year averages (this is the first year for 5-year averages because they have only been doing the full ACS that long). And even those 5-year averages are admittedly still subject to sampling error--in fact the ACS reports error bars along with the estimated value.

So the ACS isn't a substitute for the Census in terms of providing a hard count, but on the other hand, unlike the Census it covers a lot more topics and happens every year. This will be particularly useful for tracking trends in future years (there will be a new five-year average available every year going forward).

Old 12-16-2010, 12:45 PM

By the way, I expect in the next 50 years, Pittsburgh will become a lot more Asian and also a lot more Hispanic, but most of the Hispanics will be multi-generation U.S. and therefore relatively assimilated and intermingled with other ethnicities.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 PM

Last thought--the NYT map is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what you can do with this data. But I noticed the NYT map has same-sex-couple households--in Pittsburgh, the three big clusters of gay couples are in the North Side, the Regent Square area, and the Bloomfield/Lawrenceville area (note this is gay couples, not gay singles). Not a surprise, but this is the sort of thing it will be fun to check on, now that such data is available.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:06 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, I expect in the next 50 years, Pittsburgh will become a lot more Asian and also a lot more Hispanic, but most of the Hispanics will be multi-generation U.S. and therefore relatively assimilated and intermingled with other ethnicities.
Great! Maybe we'll finally have a Latino radio station I could listen to in the car.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Great! Maybe we'll finally have a Latino radio station I could listen to in the car.
The problem is in 50 years, a Latino radio station will likely make as much sense as an Irish or Italian radio station.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:51 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
The problem is in 50 years, a Latino radio station will likely make as much sense as an Irish or Italian radio station.
Some of them are starting to not do that well with the economy and the assimilation of many Latinos. It would take a lot of demographic change for a radio station such as that to even break even here.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Some of them are starting to not do that well with the economy and the assimilation of many Latinos. It would take a lot of demographic change for a radio station such as that to even break even here.
Yep. Native-born Hispanics are where most of the future Hispanics will come from, and like all prior immigrant waves, their interest in ethnic-specific cultural offerings is dropping with each generation.

It is like the German-language newspapers and such back in the day--WWI definitively killed them off, but they were dying before then due to the lack of interest among native-born U.S. people of German descent.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
The ACS contains a LOT more information than the Census. It is also done every year.

Because it only goes to a fraction of households, it is in fact subject to sampling error. That is why the smaller the unit, the more years they lump together before reporting--you can get annual data for the bigger units, but for the smallest units they will only give 5-year averages (this is the first year for 5-year averages because they have only been doing the full ACS that long). And even those 5-year averages are admittedly still subject to sampling error--in fact the ACS reports error bars along with the estimated value.

So the ACS isn't a substitute for the Census in terms of providing a hard count, but on the other hand, unlike the Census it covers a lot more topics and happens every year. This will be particularly useful for tracking trends in future years (there will be a new five-year average available every year going forward).
The ACS is actually a part of the Census Bureau, as the link says.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The ACS is actually a part of the Census Bureau, as the link says.
The ACS, or American Community Survey, is indeed conducted by the Census Bureau. There is an American Community Survey Office within the Census Bureau, and the Census Bureau in turn is part of the Commerce Department.

But when I wrote "the Census", I was referring to the decennial Census, also conducted by the Census Bureau. The ACS is not part of the Census, because those are two different programs, albeit both conducted by the same agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh