Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,966 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I will be moving to Pittsburgh (hopefully) after graduating college in May 2011. My parents moved to that general area and I would like to be closer to them, but I don't want to live with them.

I am looking for an area to live in that has the following characteristics:

1) Safe to walk around by myself.

2) Within walking distance or a short drive of small shops / groceries / etc.

3) Easy access to downtown (45 minutes or closer?)

4) Around others my age or close to it...

5) Affordable.

Is there such a place that exists?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I graduated college myself in May 2009 and am now living in and am loving the Steel City after burning out of DC. Your criteria is still a bit too broad, though, for us to nail down some dead-on accurate areas to fit your needs. Can you tell us a bit more about what you'd prefer? A safe, walkable, younger neighborhood within 45 minutes of Downtown could be dozens of possibilities.

I settled in Polish Hill, which is a 30-minute walk from Downtown, safe, VERY affordable (I live in an upscale loft for $550/month), and has a lot of beautiful architecture; however, it's a VERY "gray" neighborhood. The younger college-educated crowd tends to migrate towards the trendier East End neighborhoods, namely Shadyside. There are also a growing number of younger people moving to Lawrenceville, Friendship, Bloomfield, and Regent Square. I personally LOVE Squirrel Hill, but it seems much more family-oriented.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsAnAdventure View Post
Hi everyone!

I will be moving to Pittsburgh (hopefully) after graduating college in May 2011. My parents moved to that general area and I would like to be closer to them, but I don't want to live with them.

I am looking for an area to live in that has the following characteristics:

1) Safe to walk around by myself.

2) Within walking distance or a short drive of small shops / groceries / etc.

3) Easy access to downtown (45 minutes or closer?)

4) Around others my age or close to it...

5) Affordable.

Is there such a place that exists?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Are you wanting to live in the city or the suburbs? Do you prefer a more historic, urban, walkable neighborhood, or typical suburbia?

1) There are many safe city neighborhoods. The ones to be careful walking by yourself in are Homewood, the Hill District, and Lincoln-Larimer. There are some other rough areas, but these are the ones to worry about. Most other neighborhoods you will be fine.

2) Several neighborhoods have their own business districts, with shops, restaurants, etc. available within walking distance. Some of these neighborhoods include: Bloomfield, Shadyside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Lawrenceville, South Side, Downtown.

3) All of the neighborhoods I mentioned have very easy access to downtown (15 minutes or less).

4) All of the neighborhoods I mentioned have a good mix of younger people.

5) Squirrel Hill and Shadyside rents can be high, but you should be able to find something in your price range. Most Pittsburgh neighborhoods are affordable.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
You've got a lot of options, but to help you narrow it down, the neighborhoods right around Frick Park tend to have some of the lowest crime rates in the city, have a decent number of young adults, have commercial areas either within walking distance or a short drive, and are at least somewhat affordable. That would include Squirrel Hill, Greenfield, Swisshelm Park, Regent Square, and Point Breeze.

If you are looking for more of a nightlife area with lots of college-age and slightly older people, the South Side and Shadyside are good bets.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:22 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
After college I was not very fond with the idea of moving in with the 'rents either

Old 12-25-2010, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,966 times
Wow, you all were very quick to respond! Thanks!

I like the idea of a young, safe neighborhood with a historic or urban feel where I could walk from place to place with easy access to public transportation. All of your tips have been very helpful in my search! Do you know of any place that fits that criteria?

Thanks to everyone, and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2010, 05:08 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Quote:

I like the idea of a young, safe neighborhood with a historic or urban feel where I could walk from place to place with easy access to public transportation. All of your tips have been very helpful in my search! Do you know of any place that fits that criteria?

I would suggest the Southside Flats. Lots of young people, safe, and has that historic urban feel. It gets pretty rowdy with parties on the weekends.

Shadyside also has a lot of young people, but it's more upscale and less of an "Animal House" type atmosphere.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:16 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:

I also recommend the South Side Flats for you. The neighborhood is a historic district, very urban, walkable, safe, and full of young people and energy. The business district is amazing and full of book stores, boutique shops, cafes, and nightlife. If you love historic city architecture (as I do), you will be in heaven.

Shadyside would also fit the bill, but it's not as densely urban, or as historic, as the South Side.

Bloomfield and Lawrenceville are two other options -- young, historic, urban, walkable, and safe. You would probably also love Deutschtown and Mexican War Streets (on the North Side), which are two of the city's most impressive historic districts. However, the North Side has some crime concerns you would want to keep in mind.

Downtown would be another great option. Walk to everything!

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2010, 05:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
In addition to the South Side, Shadyside, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, and Downtown, I'd also look at Squirrel Hill, Greenfield, and the Regent Square area.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:22 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Lots of good suggestions already. Just my personal opinion on two of the neighborhoods:

Oakland: I really would not live there unless you plan to continue school, it is safe, and you'll be around a lot of other college aged kids. But there's a considerable difference between 18 - 22 year olds and 22 - 30 year olds. Once you're a year or two out of school, it can be harder to relate to students that haven't fully entered the "real" world yet. If you're looking to get away from your parents, you're probably just as eager to get away from the college atmosphere after 4 years of it.

South Side: It's nice, but be prepared to pay for it. It's not that it's overpriced, it's just that some other very nice neighborhoods in the city are underpriced.

Can you answer a few more questions?

What will your budget be?

Will you be having roommates?

Do you prefer an apartment complex or a converted house? There are quite a few gigantic old homes that have been converted in multiple apartment units.

How important is the distinction between walking vs. public transportation vs. driving? For example, it might be difficult to walk to a grocery store in some of the neighborhoods that were suggested.

Since your parents already live nearby, you should consider making a trip or five into the city to see the neighborhoods for yourself. Get out and walk around and get a feel for them. That's the best way to decide.

And my shameless plug: I live in Bloomfield, and I think it could be a good fit for you, especially if you're on a budget at all. You'd have an easy walk to a grocery store, various little shops, restaurants, bars, art galleries and coffee shops. And downtown, the South Side, Shadyside, Oakland, Lawrenceville, and even the Waterfront (a shopping center) are just one bus ride away. And there are a good amount of 20-somethings that hang around or live in the neighborhood, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh