Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:58 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times

Advertisements

And don't go mocking anybody for being judgemental. That would be bad.

But back on topic...

Did the driver in question fail to slow down from 43 to 15 upon entering the School Zone, or accelerate from 15 to 43 prior to exiting the school zone? I'd think the answer to that might influence the judge's decision, because it speaks to situational awareness. If they were totally oblivious to the existence of the School Zone, it stands to reason that they'd also be oblivious to the presence of children therin. If they could argue (convincingly), that they'd passed the school, and no children were outside, and they thought they were past the end of the zone, maybe the judge would be more lenient...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Did the driver in question fail to slow down from 43 to 15 upon entering the School Zone, or accelerate from 15 to 43 prior to exiting the school zone? I'd think the answer to that might influence the judge's decision, because it speaks to situational awareness. If they were totally oblivious to the existence of the School Zone, it stands to reason that they'd also be oblivious to the presence of children therin. If they could argue (convincingly), that they'd passed the school, and no children were outside, and they thought they were past the end of the zone, maybe the judge would be more lenient...
Maybe, but I think you'd have to do more than show up and say that. Convincingly would probably mean going back to the spot and attempting to document where the speed was determined relative to the school zone boundaries. Measurements, photos, diagrams, etc. If it's not right (and probably if it is) the cop would claim that speed was taken further back into the zone and possibly pretty well kill such an argument.

BTW, is it in the city or outside? My take (from all the research I did before going to court several years ago on a speeding ticket) is that the Pittsburgh city traffic court (where you'd be if in the city) can work somewhat differently than dealing with the district justices (where I had to go). Those guys are elected, deal with a lot more than just traffic, don't have to know a lot and can be unpredictable. I went through my stuff and got my speeding ticket knocked down to 5 over (zero points). But I couldn't figure out how I could have talked to the cop beforehand, and it would have been really strange in that tiny courtroom to go observe to see what happens, so I had to go in blind. City traffic court deals with just traffic incidents, and you should be able to go observe how it works before going to your own hearing.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Can you point out to me where in the TOS of the site it says that users are not allowed to judge one another? Can you also point me to the place in the TOS where request for legal advice as to how to get out of being punished for an unlawful act are allowed?

I don't mind a strictly moderated message board, but this is a bit too far.

Always has been and always will be. It is nice to be able to make up the rules as you go but, it is a private site and they can do that...

Still fun trying to mock "the man" whenever you can, though...

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Can someone please also help me? I received a speeding ticket for going 65 in a 55 zone along Route 22 East near Ebensburg while en route to Scranton on December 31. I plan to plead guilty, pay my $129.50 fine, and be grateful I wasn't going faster (a little leniency from the cop helped because I was very cordial and remorseful), but how many points can I expect? Do you receive a point for each five-mile-per-hour increment you were traveling in excess of the posted speed limit? I drive for a living, but I already came clean to my employer and admitted my infraction. They were okay with it (65 in a 55 in a very rural area isn't exactly Earth-shattering). I personally don't understand why PA's speed limits along four-lane divided highways in rural areas aren't 65 instead of 55, but I digress.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Can someone please also help me? I received a speeding ticket for going 65 in a 55 zone along Route 22 East near Ebensburg while en route to Scranton on December 31. I plan to plead guilty, pay my $129.50 fine, and be grateful I wasn't going faster, but how many points can I expect? Do you receive a point for each five-mile-per-hour increment you were traveling in excess of the posted speed limit? I drive for a living, but I already came clean to my employer and admitted my infraction. They were okay with it (65 in a 55 in a very rural area isn't exactly Earth-shattering).
Did you already have your PA license? Sheesh, if so, seems like you moved way too fast getting it. (Maybe it's been longer than I think.) If not, it probably won't even matter. In theory all but a couple states are in a pact to share infraction info. In practice, it still doesn't always happen. Oh, or maybe you never even had a VA license. Didn't think of that.

If you want a hearing, though, you have to go back out near the site of the infraction to go to court. This could be worth it to keep it off your record, or it could be a big waste of time, not really clear.

If you haven't changed your license over yet, though, now is the time! And get the insurance changed over too. Before this infraction hits your record.

If you have the PA license, 6-10 over is 2 points and goes up a point for each successive 5mph increment. If you get 6 or more total you start getting into extra trouble. (I had this once, years ago. You get to take the "Special Points Exam" the first time.) Other standard moving violations like running a red or stop or something are 3 points each. 2 or 3 drop off every year for a clean record, but an infraction will show on your driving record which insurance cos typically look back 3-5 years. A speeding ticket won't get you canceled to my knowledge but could still have an upward effect on your rates.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Doing almost double the speed limit in a school zone? and wearing no seat belt? if i were the judge i'd drop the demerit points on the seat-belt offense but double the fine on the speeding infraction..
Sometimes ya just gotta be responsible for your actions and accept the fact that breaking laws have consequences/accountability when you get caught.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Did you already have your PA license? Sheesh, if so, seems like you moved way too fast getting it. (Maybe it's been longer than I think.) If not, it probably won't even matter. In theory all but a couple states are in a pact to share infraction info. In practice, it still doesn't always happen. Oh, or maybe you never even had a VA license. Didn't think of that.

If you want a hearing, though, you have to go back out near the site of the infraction to go to court. This could be worth it to keep it off your record, or it could be a big waste of time, not really clear.

If you haven't changed your license over yet, though, now is the time! And get the insurance changed over too. Before this infraction hits your record.

If you have the PA license, 6-10 over is 2 points and goes up a point for each successive 5mph increment. If you get 6 or more total you start getting into extra trouble. (I had this once, years ago. You get to take the "Special Points Exam" the first time.) Other standard moving violations like running a red or stop or something are 3 points each. 2 or 3 drop off every year for a clean record, but an infraction will show on your driving record which insurance cos typically look back 3-5 years. A speeding ticket won't get you canceled to my knowledge but could still have an upward effect on your rates.
This was very informative and was exactly the guidance I was looking for. Thanks so much! I still have my VA license. I know that you're supposed to have it changed over within 30 days of moving here and "yada, yada, yada...", but with the Holidays and some "unfinished business" (and stress) back in VA it's been tough. I'm planning to go to the DMV tomorrow, actually. I know my car won't pass inspection here in PA, though (although considering my car was inspected in VA in late-2010 for both safety and emissions I'm not sure if I'd immediately have to have it inspected here again). My one headlight is out (minor), and my brakes have been feeling "loose".

In 2005 I had two back-to-back speeding tickets that resulted in me netting 7 points on my license. I took the exam you referenced, and I was embarrassed because I was the only one there for speeding while others were there for DUI/DWI. I received 100% on it, so no worries, and 2 points immediately came off to take me back down to 5 points. In early-2010 I had a ticket in VA for going 68 in a 55 zone. I plead guilty to that and paid my fine. I'm guessing if I get my PA license tomorrow I'll have two points on it for the 65 in a 55? That's not a big deal to me.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
I personally don't understand why PA's speed limits along four-lane divided highways in rural areas aren't 65 instead of 55, but I digress.
I've always wondered this, as well. Luckily, on the stretch of 79 that affects me (from Washington PA to Pittsburgh,) I've never ever seen a PA State Trooper (famous last words...)

Somewhat on topic, I go through the school zone on Crane Ave near Brashear every morning, and almost every morning the jackwagon behind me tails and weaves because he wants to go 50 through the zone. There are fairly often speed traps there, so I'm doing him a favor.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:42 AM

Quit getting tickets! But really, what I would hope in processing a switch now is that it gets a bit lost in the shuffle. They wrote you a ticket on your VA license, but probably by the time it hits you'll have switched to PA. Not sure. Don't go past the ticket deadline though. If you want to extend it out, you could actually plead not guilty requesting the hearing, then don't go. They'll already have your fine (you have to pay an extra $5-7 for costs). If you don't go, no big deal. They don't issue warrants or anything. ;-)

The car is a separate issue and you can try to stretch that out more, although technically you're starting to "establish residency" so you're going to be up against that I guess. You do have to get a PA inspection when you change it over. If your brakes feel funny though you should have that looked at, inspection or no. Brake problems can make people DEAD. And fix the headlight. You can do that yourself, you get to the bulb from the inside under the hood. Some cars are a little tighter than others as far as getting that apart but shouldn't be too hard.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Actually, I hate to admit it, but "tattling" is better in the end. I'm constantly given infractions on the NoVA sub-forum when I decide to NOT "tattle" and instead defend myself against personal attacks. Moderators prefer tattling, apparently, as opposed to standing up for yourself or your convictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh