Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 08:01 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I know there will be many who will not like this, or who will scoff at this, but...

I have heard many times over the years that PAT drivers' union compensation and pension plans are exceedingly high here in Pgh. I am a Progressive and so I am all about the worker's right to have fair wages and a civil workplace. That's practically my "manifesto" as much as I rant about it. I also do not believe in greed. There's a whole lot of greed going around in America. The pie is only so big and there are only so many slivers of it, but everyone wants to take a big bite. That is why our society is in trouble all around.

I don't know what PAT drivers make, but I have heard anecdotal accounts of some sky high salaries.
Check out the Q/A on Page 2 here: http://www.portauthority.org/paac/po...an2011FAQs.pdf

I believe the average salary for a driver is ~$50,000.

The "sky high" salaries you hear about is drivers who work a ton of OT. It is the exception, not the norm.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,528,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Check out the Q/A on Page 2 here: http://www.portauthority.org/paac/po...an2011FAQs.pdf

I believe the average salary for a driver is ~$50,000.

The "sky high" salaries you hear about is drivers who work a ton of OT. It is the exception, not the norm.

Still too much. Also have to consider that there is a pension and basically free health care. Another factor to consider is when they can retire.

In comparison, most of the Assitant District Attorneys and Public Defenders in Allegheny County make a starting salary of 39,000 with no chance for overtime. Oh yeah, they don't get bumps based on seniority like teachers. I would think that a governmetn attorney should make a lot more than a bus driver but they don't.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:18 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
I hope funding cuts to PAT continue.
Why?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Still too much. Also have to consider that there is a pension and basically free health care. Another factor to consider is when they can retire.

In comparison, most of the Assitant District Attorneys and Public Defenders in Allegheny County make a starting salary of 39,000 with no chance for overtime. Oh yeah, they don't get bumps based on seniority like teachers. I would think that a governmetn attorney should make a lot more than a bus driver but they don't.
Those bus drivers making the "TON of OT" are also paying more in TAXES as well...ever stop to think about that....

The simple problem is the state needs to fund PAT...They're taking funding away, and PAT needs to cut...This wouldn't be a problem if PAT had a reliable source of funding which it doesnt.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 01-14-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM

540 posts, read 868,136 times
Quote:

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion about who should make what. But if you worry about what job pays more than some other job, you're going to drive yourself crazy. I mean, Snooki makes $30K per episode of Jersey Shore, does that seem equitable? What bothers me more about the transit union and unions in general these days is their mostly successful defense of people who should be suspended or fired for bad performance or crimes they commit.

I know the point is that if they could lower salaries and benefits, then PAT wouldn't need as much money. But I think it's also likely that if they were allowed to clean house and hire new drivers who all made minimum wage (or some other wage lower than county attorneys) and had to pay more into health care and into a 401K instead of a pension, then next year the state and/or county would try to cut the funding below what's needed to maintain that level of compensation.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,051 times
Quote:

Do you really want someone making minimum wage driving a giant multi-ton vehicle filled with a hundred people through Pittsburgh's narrow hilly twisty streets? I couldn't do that job, I can barely fit my Honda through some of the streets around here. We're talking about trained, experienced professionals here, they deserve to make a living wage and as a bus rider, I'm happy to pay them.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion about who should make what. But if you worry about what job pays more than some other job, you're going to drive yourself crazy. I mean, Snooki makes $30K per episode of Jersey Shore, does that seem equitable? What bothers me more about the transit union and unions in general these days is their mostly successful defense of people who should be suspended or fired for bad performance or crimes they commit.

I know the point is that if they could lower salaries and benefits, then PAT wouldn't need as much money. But I think it's also likely that if they were allowed to clean house and hire new drivers who all made minimum wage (or some other wage lower than county attorneys) and had to pay more into health care and into a 401K instead of a pension, then next year the state and/or county would try to cut the funding below what's needed to maintain that level of compensation.
What is wrong with the State trying to contain their expenses ..... nothing. This is the problem with government. Our leaders are playing with other people's money and therefore they don't feel there is a problem if they just pay a little more for the drivers, perks, etc. Well the problem is that the "little more" adds up. This is the reason why a lot of govenment bodies are facing huge deficits. Sure we can pay our bills when the money is flowing in but we can't when the money isn't. This isn't how it should be. This is like saving for retirement and expecting a 15% return per year. Sure some years you may hit it but others you won't and in the end you retirement plan falls short.

Let's face it the only real way to control costs is to control your labor costs. Do you think that there is enough pork in PAT's budget to fill the gap? Cutting the amount spent on office supplies and other administrative expensives only goes so far. What you are left with is either cuttting jobs or reduces wages. PAT has chosen to cut jobs mainly because they can't cut wages. My whole point is that we, the Pittsburgh metro are as whole, would be better off if we reduce wages by 20 percent for example. Sure PAT employees would hate it but we would have a better public transportation system.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Do you really want someone making minimum wage driving a giant multi-ton vehicle filled with a hundred people through Pittsburgh's narrow hilly twisty streets? I couldn't do that job, I can barely fit my Honda through some of the streets around here. We're talking about trained, experienced professionals here, they deserve to make a living wage and as a bus rider, I'm happy to pay them.
The average salary of a school bus driver is $32,000/year.

I think a driver of a PAT bus deserves the standard wage for that industry, so let's pay them between 30k and 35k/year. Plenty of responsible people would love to have that job for that salary.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:23 PM

540 posts, read 868,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The average salary of a school bus driver is $32,000/year.

I think a driver of a PAT bus deserves the standard wage for that industry, so let's pay them between 30k and 35k/year. Plenty of responsible people would love to have that job for that salary.
Is that average salary for a 40-hour week? Don't most school bus drivers work 4-5 hours on a typical day? Does that factor in getting spring break, winter break, and summers off? I'm not minimizing what school bus drivers do; they have the additional huge responsibility of keeping track of our children during those trips. I'm just saying it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 PM

School bus drivers make next to nothing, about $45 a day. My guess is that a lot of school bus drivers are retired and supplementing their income. Probably retired early from PAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh