Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:48 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,525,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
LOL, I still don't understand why so many people think Pittsburgh is so humid in the summer. You've obviously never lived in the southeast.
No, I haven't. I grew up in Europe. I never ever experienced humidity over there. I didn't even see the point of an AC. My first summer in Pittsburgh was a shock. I was living in a rented appt on the top most floor of a building with no AC and I went to bed wrapped in wet cold bed sheets. A month into the summer I gave in and bought a window AC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,252,403 times
The OP's post was hit and run. This is my opinion. The OP is entitled to his/hers.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,122,625 times
I'm not going to repeat what I said that got taken out by the mods, but I will say that I feel vindicated.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,362,247 times
No I understand what the original poster is saying 110%.....we're not talking about the hills/rivers/etc, this is something of an outsider's point of view of the city itself. Pittsburgh is extremely rustic and rough around the edges, it's not a polished city at all and has obviously been weathered over the years while being constructed in a very "industrial" look. Compared to a place like San Francisco, which is in many ways similar to Pittsburgh yet COMPLETELY opposite...Pittsburgh is going to seem very rundown due to the nature of the city; we're talking vibrant colors vs red brick for the most part. I've said a million times on here before that Pittsburgh is mainly going to appeal to people looking for something very different, a place with overall bang for the buck, or somebody who was simply born and raised within the area. I often like to say "Pittsburgh is so old, ugly, and beat up...that somehow it's beautiful because of that". I think that statement sums up Pittsburgh's looks perfectly.

I mean really...there's a huge gap between the two, I like Pittsburgh and all but it is a VERY acquired taste that won't appeal to many people out there who've been exposed to flashier/more touched-up cities:

San Francisco
San Francisco, brusquely - SkyscraperPage Forum

Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh's South Side Slopes: a neighbourhood on the brink - SkyscraperCity

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=175048

As for the weather...anybody who says that our December through April isn't rough seriously needs to get out of the area and experience some milder climates. Our Summers are alright, our Falls are great, Springs are 50/50, but winter is a totally depressing mess of gray skies for months on end. We're not alone with that though, that's practically all of the North East, Midwest, etc.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:42 PM

98 posts, read 173,563 times
Concerning the weather:
I am fairly certain I have posted this before but even risking being redundant...

I grew up to Western PA , moved to Baltimore when I was 23. Baltimore is hotter in the summer (I found in an unpleasant way) and I experienced more ice in the winter than I cared to live with.

I now live in Southern TX and have been here for over 11 years and pretty much every season sux to me here. Summers are nearly intolerably hot. The only place I have been to that is worse is Phoenix (I spent about a month there one summer.) I had finally had enough of here when one of the hurricane residual storms blew through and hydro-locked my engine to the tune of 13K. Thank God after a lot of fighting with my insurance it was covered. This was no rare occurrence. I am tired of driving through rain storms so heavy I can't see 10ft in front of me on the highway with no notice. It scares the ****e out of me.

I am ready for 3 great seasons of weather a year.

P.S. the only weather utopia I have found is Uruguay. I was engaged to someone from there for 2 years (together for about 4 yrs,visited 5 times.) Temperate year round. My boss is looking into retiring there. It really is a good idea.

Last edited by pburghfan; 02-02-2011 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,726,514 times
I spent a decade in San Francisco and Seattle and I think Pittsburgh is beautiful, including the weather. Especially fall, spring, and winter.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:25 PM

354 posts, read 477,381 times
I think late November/early December, in that period between the last leaves and the first snow is the ugliest time of the year. The best is from late summer, when the leaves and ivy (love the ivy) are at their darkest green, until right before they fall off.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 AM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,129,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
The OP's post was hit and run. This is my opinion. The OP is entitled to his/hers.
X2, but most people are falling for it. Never heard anyone say the place is an ugly area. Guess if you hate rivers and hills, sure it is ugly.

This is ugly? (I don't know how to post pictures)

http://www.iiofpitt.org/UserFiles/Image/pittsburgh4.jpg

http://www.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com/north-...pittsburgh.jpg

Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,858,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post

As for the weather...anybody who says that our December through April isn't rough seriously needs to get out of the area and experience some milder climates.
And if we "got out " to other places this past week we would have met blizzard conditions stretching from Denver to the midwest. Chicago cancelled 1,300 flights. States of emergency were declared in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Missouri. Kansas had multiple counties under a disaster condition. Texas had ice storms,etc.

We had 40-some degree weather with light rain while all that ^ was going on .Yes we can get some rough weather here, but so can everyone else.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:29 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,362,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
And if we "got out " to other places this past week we would have met blizzard conditions stretching from Denver to the midwest. Chicago cancelled 1,300 flights. States of emergency were declared in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Missouri. Kansas had multiple counties under a disaster condition. Texas had ice storms,etc.

We had 40-some degree weather with light rain while all that ^ was going on .Yes we can get some rough weather here, but so can everyone else.
uhhhh....yeah, that's why I ended my comment with something along the lines of "but that's the entire North East and Midwest". People get way too defensive and make mountains out of nothing when it comes to anybody out there disagreeing with native Pittsburgh impressions. Everybody is allowed to have an oppinion...now we're really digging at it, everybody out there just needs to let it go already and accept the fact that not everybody views Pittsburgh or any city for that matter through the same eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh