Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:40 AM

89 posts, read 202,549 times

Advertisements

Living all over the state of California the only time I have ever felt safe was as a small child. One year ago I set the wheels in motion for my family and I to move to Pittsburgh.Unfortunately finances halted the move temporarily, I read in a book once "safe is a feeling not a location". The first 30 min of news in California are Murders, drug activity,gang violence, the kind of garbage that has me very nervous when my kids go to school, a friends house or the park. Now for me to expect no crime at all in Pittsburgh would be unreasonable but it seems quite a bit safer for kids as well.Is the grass greener in this occasion, sound off Pittsburgh natives and California transplants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
I haven't spent an extensive amount of time in California, but I can tell you that as someone who grew up in a wealthy, socioeconomically insulated Philadelphia suburb, I have seldom felt unsafe in Pittsburgh. The only time I felt slightly nervous was driving through Homewood at dusk. Pittsburgh is probably safer than most East Coast/Midwestern cities. You just have to be smart.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I can't agree with the saying, "safe is a feeling not a location", but I don't know about that book. Certainly I feel very safe in my neighborhood, but if I was hanging out at Northview Heights on a Friday at about 2AM I wouldn't feel great about it, but that is just me. Some people I am sure think it is fine.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I think that local news everywhere, which concentrates on crime, drugs, and "stranger danger," has a lot to do with it. They need to put that crap on to get a bigger audience for their advertisers. In reality, Pittsburgh is generally one of the safest larger cities in the country. It's certainly not Shangri-la, but it has a stable population, good neighborhoods, a pretty good economy, and a high quality of life.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Pittsburgh is one of the safest Eastern big cities unless ur a living in a bad gang neiborghood... Gang crime is way more underground and less violent than most Californian cities... That said the bad parts: Homewood and the Hill District especially are truely bad... In Homewood there are 6 sets of cripz over 100 strong in total. There were 11fatal shootings last year all gang related or gang members killing what seems to be innocent people... so Homewood isnt safe... Safety is a fact in my opinion... Some places have gangs, while some parts have white supermist. If all of da Burgh is so safe then you party in Northview Heights at 2:00 saterday mourning! Or party in a random place in Butler County if your non-aryan! thats just how it is anywhere in America and we all know it...

Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
Always carry, always safe

Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 PM

354 posts, read 475,786 times
As a fairly recent CA transplant myself (mostly familiar with the south LA country/north OC areas), one thing that takes a while to get used to in Pgh is that "rundown" does not mean "unsafe". As a west-coaster, beat-up almost always meant ghetto, mostly because things are a lot newer in CA. This is not really case out here. For example, most neighborhoods are alot older construction than the project housing apts around, and can look more "rundown", but they are also safer. That being said, most of urban Pgh is safer than most of urban CA, and on the surface gruffer looking, but safer.

I actually find myself reminding people I know to lock their doors, because they are so lax about it.

The best advice I can give is just make yourself familiar with the neighborhoods around the city, where to go and not go, and you shouldn't have concerns.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Unless you're looking for trouble in Homewood, the Hill, Northview Heights, and maybe a few other select areas, Pittsburgh is a very safe city to live in.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Unless you're looking for trouble in Homewood, the Hill, Northview Heights, and maybe a few other select areas, Pittsburgh is a very safe city to live in.
I've never believed the whole "unless you're looking for trouble you'll be fine" line. There are those who will bring trouble to you in every city in America and elsewhere. The economy sucks, people are poor and desperate, and you can be victims of crime even in a "safer" city like Pittsburgh. My family and I have learned that the hard way this past decade.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM

89 posts, read 202,549 times
Not many places in California are safe to walk at night, I read quite a few posts of people in Pittsburgh walking at night. I won't walk to the mailbox at night and I live in a nicer neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh