Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times

Advertisements

Where can I take my dog swimming where there isn't a risk of fishing hooks?

He's an old labrador who is starting to have difficulty walking and needs exercise to strengthen his muscles.

Swimming is the most ideal exercise due to being low impact. He'll love it too!

He's not down and out. He's still 100% happy puppy in personality, but he's heading towards disability and I want to make his last years as comfortable as possible.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,264 times
Have you tried Misty Pines near Sewickley? They have a small lake/large pond. I think it's five dollars to use their facilities which includes the water, a fenced in dog park and lots of trails. It's a muddy pond, though. Also Lucky Paws Pet Resort near Cranberry has a small salt water pool for dogs in their dog park. It's $10 a shot there or you can buy a pass for the year for $85. It's always nice and clean though, and the dog park area is a good size. I also have a Lab and am always looking for places to take him as well, so I'm hoping you get other responses with good ideas...

Lucky Paws Resort - Dog Park and Pool

Pittsburgh Dog Boarding, Dog Training, Dog Park, Dog Daycare and Dog Grooming

Old 06-02-2009, 09:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I had no idea there were places specifically for dogs to swim!

I'm so excited! Thank you so much!

It will be nice to hear if there are other places. I'm glad Pittsburgh has establishments with these great facilities!

Last edited by Hopes; 06-02-2009 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,264 times
No problem. I'm always searching out dog parks since I have a very small yard and a very energetic pup. Also, it's only once a year, but Animal Friends has a "last splash" every year at Sandcastle in September. Right after the park closes for the season and before they drain the pool, Sandcastle lets Animal Friends use it for a fundraiser. It's a really big, nice event.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,607 times
Hopes, I've been looking too!
I basically just try to find various streams that are deep enough for them to swim. I haven't found any yet (other than the goldfish pond at Frick park which is only 5' x 5'). I've heard Lake Arthur has some good swimming spots, and my hike with your dog book says the best swimming hole is Blue Hole Creek at Forbes State Forest. I haven't been there yet, so I'll let you know how it is when I go there.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 AM

297 posts, read 348,993 times
Great topic Hopes!

I have not been able to find a place for my little eskie to swim since I moved back to PA! (I think he would have been equally happy had he been born a fish! lol) I have visited Misty Pines, but, found the people there to be sort of "snobby" and the swimmiing area was in fact muddy and dirty looking.

Thank you for telling us about Lucky Paws, Tinare! I will definately give it a shot.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 21,115 times
I haven't been there myself but I think if you go down the trail in Frick Park that goes through 9 mile run (eventually coming out on commercial st. in swisshelm park), I've heard that there are spots in the stream where people take their dogs swimming.

Other than that, Misty Pines is all right, or Raccoon Creek State Park. I have that dog hiking book too (Doggin' Pittsburgh) and it's not exhaustive but it does have a big list of Pittsburgh area places where you can take a dog swimming.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,212 times
I see dogs swimming at Peter's Wood park in Peter's Township. Kind of hard to find and not in your area though.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 41,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I see dogs swimming at Peter's Wood park in Peter's Township. Kind of hard to find and not in your area though.
I go to Peters Creek lake (Peters Twp.) all the time. I have heard that the Peters side of the lake will enforce the leash law, but I have never seen anyone cited.
I swim him off the dam and ther are always others with dogs. Just find a spot where you don't bother the fishermen. The water is clean and almost no snags to hold fishing tackle. Great place.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 PM

10 posts, read 41,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
I haven't been there myself but I think if you go down the trail in Frick Park that goes through 9 mile run (eventually coming out on commercial st. in swisshelm park), I've heard that there are spots in the stream where people take their dogs swimming.

Other than that, Misty Pines is all right, or Raccoon Creek State Park. I have that dog hiking book too (Doggin' Pittsburgh) and it's not exhaustive but it does have a big list of Pittsburgh area places where you can take a dog swimming.

I wouldn't let my dog in that stream (Frick Park). It still had sewage issues the last time I was there and it smelled like it. This was in the Mid 90's though so maybe things have changed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh