Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Dunno, it's a tough one. I mean it looks like PAT itself could have raised the fare to $5 and still not covered their costs.
If PAT had both raised the fare to $5 and also cut their schedule back (thereby concentrating ridership) and required monthly payment in advance, they may well have been able to operate at a small profit. However, I don't think the ability to operate at a profit is the correct measure of where public transit makes sense, since so many of the benefits of public transit are not internalized just by the riders.

Quote:
In a way, perhaps this isn't a bad solution for these farther out places.
Well, it depends on your goals. In the short term, this means transportation costs are going to go up for some people, and more people are going to drive instead (which isn't such a great thing for a variety of reasons). In the long run, people will eventually adjust to the transportation options they have, including when making living decisions. In this case, if this becomes permanent it may be that some people will move into areas where transit would be less expensive (that could be a good thing), and some people may just permanently abandon trying to use transit (likely a bad thing). It also may be that this service isn't sustainable in the long as people move to other options, in which case this won't be a permanent solution at all, just a transition phase.

Quote:
Although it makes me wonder how much $$ someone like New Castle Transit is losing by running a bus into the city every day.
The outer-county agencies have much higher operating costs than PAT and are providing much larger subsidies. Which is probably good public policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 11:40 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So here is news about a possible private service substitute for a couple canceled routes:

North Hills may get new bus service

It would cost 54% more and run far less frequently than the PAT services it would be replacing. But State House Majority Leader Mike Turzai thinks you should be grateful for these improvements. And strangely, it appears that PAT is actually supportive of approving these services--according to Turzai, PAT has been standing in the way of such services. Curious.
If you want PAT to keep all their current routes, then you pay for it. The taxpayers are flat broke. There's no more money...anywhere, for anything. We're tapped out. The quicker you understand that your credit card has been cut up the less painful this will be for you. Public transit will be slashed. Public workers will be laid off. Education funds slashed. Infrastructure..what's that? It's all over. Pay for PAT yourself. You don't help me pay for my gas, so why should I subsidize your ride to work? Quit mooching!

Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
If you want PAT to keep all their current routes, then you pay for it. The taxpayers are flat broke. There's no more money...anywhere, for anything. We're tapped out. The quicker you understand that your credit card has been cut up the less painful this will be for you. Public transit will be slashed. Public workers will be laid off. Education funds slashed. Infrastructure..what's that? It's all over. Pay for PAT yourself. You don't help me pay for my gas, so why should I subsidize your ride to work? Quit mooching!
I pay for your roads and bridges in your part of town even though I don't live there or use them. Transportation is something that all taxpayers get benefit from.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
I pay for your roads and bridges in your part of town even though I don't live there or use them. Transportation is something that all taxpayers get benefit from.
And I pay for your roads and bridges in your part of town. We're even. I get zero benefit from PAT and I'm not supporting tax dollars going to bail them out for the 17th time. Wasn't the stimulus supposed to go to this stuff? What did all that money get spent on if our infrastructure still sucks and our gov't agencies are still near bankruptcy? If you want PAT, then pay for it, just like I have to pay for my gas. I don't hear anyone offering to bail me out.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,353 times
Quote:
And I pay for your roads and bridges in your part of town. We're even. I get zero benefit from PAT and I'm not supporting tax dollars going to bail them out for the 17th time. Wasn't the stimulus supposed to go to this stuff? What did all that money get spent on if our infrastructure still sucks and our gov't agencies are still near bankruptcy? If you want PAT, then pay for it, just like I have to pay for my gas. I don't hear anyone offering to bail me out.
I pay for the transit system in your part of the state, you should pay for the transit system in my part. Even?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Hey, I work out of my house, shouldn't I get a rebate?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
We still have to pay for the schools your kids go to. If you don't like paying for it, then move. Let me ask you where do you live where you believe you aren't going to be affected by this?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
If you want PAT to keep all their current routes, then you pay for it. The taxpayers are flat broke. There's no more money...anywhere, for anything. We're tapped out.
First, that isn't true (that we couldn't raise some additional revenues for the state). Second, cutting funding for PAT is penny-wise and pound-foolish, because PAT creates a lot more wealth than it consumes. So if you have to cut something because you irrationally refuse to consider increasing revenues, it shouldn't be PAT's funding.

What is really going on here is that state transportation policy is a machine that takes money from the large metros and hands it out to the rest of the state. And certain politicians are using the state budget crisis as an excuse to try to increase that effect.

Quote:
You don't help me pay for my gas, so why should I subsidize your ride to work? Quit mooching!
And I am sure every road you drive on is a toll road, right?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
And I pay for your roads and bridges in your part of town. We're even.
The large metros are paying for rural roads. That is the real game. None of us in the large metros are "even", but some people in the large metros are shooting themselves in the foot by being anti-transit, not realizing what the real game is.

Quote:
I get zero benefit from PAT and I'm not supporting tax dollars going to bail them out for the 17th time.
First, it isn't a "bailout"--the state is trying to cut the funding it previously provided and promised to PAT.

Second, everyone in the Pittsburgh Metro benefits from PAT, where they personally ride it or not.

Quote:
Wasn't the stimulus supposed to go to this stuff?
No, the stimulus had no money for transit operations.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
First, that isn't true (that we couldn't raise some additional revenues for the state). Second, cutting funding for PAT is penny-wise and pound-foolish, because PAT creates a lot more wealth than it consumes. So if you have to cut something because you irrationally refuse to consider increasing revenues, it shouldn't be PAT's funding.

What is really going on here is that state transportation policy is a machine that takes money from the large metros and hands it out to the rest of the state. And certain politicians are using the state budget crisis as an excuse to try to increase that effect.

And I am sure every road you drive on is a toll road, right?
Maybe I should have been more clear the first time. WE'RE BROKE! By law, Corbett has to balance the budget, that's nearly $4billion that we're over right now. Why should the state bail out PAT when our infrastructure could use some $$$ too? Our education system could also use some badly needed money. Our in-state tuition rate for college is insane. Our state and municipalities cannot afford the pension plan for their gov't workers. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. We have a million problems right now and PAT is about 17th on the list of people with their hand out, wanting more money. There isn't enough cash to go around. I don't understand why people like you don't get that. If you think that we could bail out PAT and spend more on every social program and increase infrastructure without raising taxes, then I guess you should have ran for governor, huh? You claim that you'd cut something other than PAT. Well, what would that be? And please don't say Mike Turzai's paycheck. You're infatuated with that guy. I doubt you were complaining much about the past eight years when Fast Eddie was spending us into CH11, right? Now it's time to pay up. Put your partisan politics aside and look at the big picture for once. If you think fiscally everything is rosey, then Chris Matthews is clearly lying to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh