Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times

Advertisements

No offense, but if this is how you're researching real estate investment opportunities then you are likely to lose your shirt. But hey, it's your money.

Hopes I'll give you Millvale and even parts of Etna and Sharpsburg, but since when are West View and Highland Park considered run down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
No offense, but if this is how you're researching real estate investment opportunities then you are likely to lose your shirt. But hey, it's your money.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Hopes I'll give you Millvale and even parts of Etna and Sharpsburg, but since when are West View and Highland Park considered run down?
There are properties in West View and Highland Park that are run down. Both areas are places you can find investment property if you look hard enough. I tossed Highland Park and West View in because they are good rental communities. People will rent to live in West View and Highland Park. West View is safe. Highland Park is safe-ish depending on what part. It's worth looking into those areas.

Here are some west view listings. Real Estate at Homes.Com for WEST VIEW, PA

West View Homes for Sale - West View Real Estate > Pennsylvania

They're not as cheap as what she's looking at, but goodness she won't find those prices in safe neighborhoods unless she's buying a sherrif's sale.

Check these places out in Verona:

39k: 437 Union St, Verona, PA 15147 - Trulia Real Estate Search

37.5k: 7875 Mount Carmel Rd, Verona, PA 15147 - Trulia Real Estate Search

20.8k: 420 North Ave, Verona, PA 15147 - Trulia Real Estate Search Here's a picture: Allegheny County Assessment (http://www2.county.allegheny.pa.us/RealEstate/Image.asp?CurrBloLot=0364G00351000000&Street=North &MuniCode=859 - broken link)

Etna:

49k: 21 High St, Etna, PA 15223 - Trulia Real Estate Search

32k: 169 Wood St, Etna, PA 15223 - Trulia Real Estate Search

19k: 10 Greismere St, Etna, PA 15223 - Trulia Real Estate Search

45k: 3 Locust St, Etna, PA 15223 - Trulia Real Estate Search

Millvale:

25k: 117 Clara St, Millvale, PA 15209 - Trulia Real Estate Search

29k: 612 Patrick St, Millvale, PA 15209 - Trulia Real Estate Search

Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree.
ditto. I might be a bit old-fasioned, but shouldn't you have a good feel for a neighborhood in order to invest in it? I mean, you can buy a house for $20,000 in Homewood, put $20,000 into it, and lose your shirt because nobody is in the market for a $40,000 house in Homewood. By the same token you can take a $200,000 house in Fox Chapel, put $100,000 into it, and sell it for $400,000 because people ARE in the market for $400,000 houses in Fox Chapel. No amount of searching properties on the internet would tell you that.

CaptainO

Cap

Old 07-24-2007, 05:20 PM

176 posts, read 767,381 times
I have been asking myself, which would I rather do....Swim with Killer Sharks or Buy A House on N. Charles St...I think I'll hit the Shark Tank...

If your looking at homes on N.Charles St or over in Braddock...I am wondering what kind of real estate portfolio your carrying...

If you have money to throw away...Let me give you the number for our local Make A Wish..At least there it will go to a good cause

Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysweet2u View Post
This street in Braddock is making the Charles property look like it's upper class.

LOL
DON'T EVER drive down braddock ave. at night!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 PM

7 posts, read 22,252 times
OK MR MON here is what I said:

I am looking to purchase a rehab home in Pittsburgh, PA. I am a long distance real estate investor. Me and my family are moving to PA soon. But right now I am investing in rehab homes in different areas. There is a house for sale on 2586 North Charles pittsburgh PA 15214. I am thinking of buying it, but is it worth the trip to even look at? Is this a war area? I can't figure out why the house is sooooo cheap. Sometimes when homes sell this cheap something aweful happened in the home, it's totally empty inside, a crackhouse or lots of taxes are owed. Does anyone know about this house or area?

No offense, but can you and the other person who agreed with you read. I said I don't know if it's worth the trip to take to view the property and area. I don't think it was unwise to ask advice on this forum. Because where I sit you just saved me money, now I KNOW it's not worth the trip to take to view the property and neighborhood. And if I see any other homes in the area, I will no why they are so cheap. I can't imagine as an out of town investor traveling to these very unsafe neighborhoods. Soooooo, not only did I save money, I don't have to suffer from some violent attack.

So asking questions via internate can be a viable tool for me. So thank you very much!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysweet2u View Post
So asking questions via internate can be a viable tool for me. So thank you very much!
I only agreed with the 'likely' part of Mr. Mon's post. It's good that you are doing your homework first. I've run into quite a few people on here (via private message to me) who invested in Pittsburgh property over the internet on impulse without doing any research. They contacted me via private message in hopes of my hooking them up with a local real estate attorney since they lived in another country. Citydata is definitely a valuable resource.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 22,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I only agreed with the 'likely' part of Mr. Mon's post. It's good that you are doing your homework first. I've run into quite a few people on here (via private message to me) who invested in Pittsburgh property over the internet on impulse without doing any research. They contacted me via private message in hopes of my hooking them up with a local real estate attorney since they lived in another country. Citydata is definitely a valuable resource.

Thank you. I do think this is a wonderful website. You do have to be very careful when purchasing real estate over the internet. Doing your due diligence will save much money. I've found lots of homes over the internate very cheap. But my safety is first. Cheap homes in bad neighborhoods I'll pass on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh