Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM

50 posts, read 108,599 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Here's my commute dilemma.

My current outbound commute from East Liberty to Allison Park goes from Washington Avenue (route 8) in the city, through the highland park bridge, down 28 south and then to 8 north. When traffic is bad on the highland park bridge (most of the time), I stick to the left lane, and continue down to the Fleming bridge (the one which connects to route 8), where I stick to the right lane.

I may be buying a house in southern Ross Township which would make my commute go through Millvale from which I take Babcock. I'd rather avoid going through the city and take the 40th street bridge.

However, I very much like the option of avoiding the Highland Park bridge or at least having the option of taking Fleming. Problem is, Fleming outbound only seems to have a sign for 28 north/Sharpsburg.

Does anyone know if there's a way to take that exit and make it somehow to 28 south, or to Millvale? Right now, when I do take that bridge, I continue on Route 8, and take the first left and then backtrack to Etna. From Etna, I can take the nasty Parker/Seavy road, which I would very much like to avoid, especially in winter.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,475 times
Yes. Take the exit in the left lane called Sharpsburg while crossing the 62nd Steet Bridge outbound. Continue straight at the stop sign and go under the overpasses and across the tracks onto Bridge Street towards Etna. Veer left onto Freeport Street. Turn left on Butler Street and it leads directly onto 28 South.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM

50 posts, read 108,599 times
Thank you.

I wish that if part of the 110 million budget of that interchange would include putting decent signs.The current sign is really confusing.

I also wish they had created an actual interchange into 28 south, that would have taken a lot of the pressure from the highland park bridge.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:16 AM

296 posts, read 560,729 times
There is another way to get on 28 South that is easier.

From the city, go across the 62nd street bridge, and again, follow the sign for Sharpsburg (should be the left lane).

Come to the stop sign at the bottom of the bridge.

Continue through the stop sign and go about 50 yards.

On the left, not terrifically marked, is a ramp that leads up onto 28 south. It merges with the on ramp from southbound Rt 8 before it actually merges into 28.

If you go out of the maze of highway support pylons etc, you have gone too far.

The previously mentioned route through Etna works as well and may sometimes be better to avoid a little congestion on 28 in the morning, as it empties onto 28 about 1/2 of a mile south of the Rt 8 interchange.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post

From the city, go across the 62nd street bridge, and again, follow the sign for Sharpsburg (should be the left lane).

On the left, not terrifically marked, is a ramp that leads up onto 28 south. It merges with the on ramp from southbound Rt 8 before it actually merges into 28.

The previously mentioned route through Etna works as well and may sometimes be better to avoid a little congestion on 28 in the morning, as it empties onto 28 about 1/2 of a mile south of the Rt 8 interchange.
This is a much better option. No need to go through Etna.

Not sure why some people say Highland Park Bridge is crowded? I travel it all the time and rarely have any issues unless the zoo has some big event or there is a wreck, which are both rare. If you are going to East Liberty across the HPB, then you can be in either lane. Go through the zoo or take Washington Blvd and enter that way. Traffic in both lanes is pretty rare, so you can just choose whichever one it best.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post

Yep! This is the way!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yep! This is the way!
True. What was I thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh