Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I lived in Fairfax County, VA for over a year-and-a-half, and that was all I could take of having nothing but sprawl for miles all around me. How many chain restaurants, big-box stores, parking lots, and McMansions can one immerse themselves within before going crazy?!
Apparently quite a few, since our population keeps growing. Maybe you should back down some weekend and blanket the streets with the latest Forbes article touting the affordability of Pittsburgh's housing.

The 8.6% decline, compared to Philadelphia's gain, didn't surprise me. When I look at job listings on certain professional sites, there are always openings in Philadelphia and its suburbs, and nothing for Pittsburgh. I love some of your architecture, but what the heck do people do to pay the bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Even the city of Philadelphia gained population.....the 1st increase since 1950. The suburban counties have always gained in every census.
That's easy to understand....Philadelphia and Eastern PA are in the Overly Crowded Bos-Wash Megaopolis Philadelphia was bound to benefit sooner or later.....plus the spill over from NYC is enormous.

Pittsburgh and Western PA don't have this Benefit. Its really nothing Philadelphia is doing right and Pittsburgh is doing wrong its all about the location...as well Philadelphia doesnt have the high elderly population of Allegheny County to worry about offsetting....

Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
Wow...McKeesport is now below 20,000. Many of the communities in the McKeesport area reported steep declines.

North Strabane township in Washington County grew by 33%!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 AM

296 posts, read 560,808 times
The fact that eastern counties grew is not surprising at all. As noted, the East Coast megalopolis accounts for a lot of growth, almost by default. There are so many jobs spread out in that region, not even necessarily in Philadelphia, that the cycle just keeps continuing. Additionally, more and more people are moving to south central PA to commute to Baltimore, which is growing - and more people are moving to far eastern PA to commute to NYC.

Other than Pittsburgh, there literally is nothing else in Western PA that would drive people to move here. So, whereas people may move to Chester County or Montgomery County near Philly to take the train to work in NYC each day, the only reason people move to Pittsburgh is for Pittsburgh - whose jobs market is a lot smaller than the East Coast metro region.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:12 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
Growth in Eastern PA (especially South Central PA) is to a large extent sprawl (Philly & Baltimore) at its worst. The amount of farmland being gobbled up by developments along the I-83 corridor is astounding. Their infrastructure issues are just as large as ours....very few arterial roads to serve the ever-growing population.

Also, I'm not exactly sure what many of these cities offer besides proximity to other, larger cities. There is a lack of jobs in York, Harrisburg, to some extent Lancaster. These areas tend to retain some of their scenic, rural charm but this will soon be gone to a large extent and commutes will be long and painful. Cost of housing is lower than the large cities. Schools are better. I'm not sure where these areas will be in 20-30 years. By then, we may be seeing Lancaster County well on their way to a population of 750K.

I'm not saying their population growth is worse than our population loss. I'm just saying we have some time to (hopefully) plan out growth and build our infrastructure where they do not.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
There may be slight evidence of a Marcellus effect as well in recent county estimate data. But generally, we should probably expect very slow growth in the Pittsburgh Metro--which is fine with me!

Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
That's easy to understand....Philadelphia and Eastern PA are in the Overly Crowded Bos-Wash Megaopolis Philadelphia was bound to benefit sooner or later.....plus the spill over from NYC is enormous.

Pittsburgh and Western PA don't have this Benefit. Its really nothing Philadelphia is doing right and Pittsburgh is doing wrong its all about the location...as well Philadelphia doesnt have the high elderly population of Allegheny County to worry about offsetting....
baltimore found a way to lose people. there's a bit more to it than that, that's not entirely true. Philadelphia has changed a bit for the better, and so attracts more people that it used to. there have always been jobs in the area, there's no job imbalance. Pittsburgh made some big mistakes over the years but I think that's stopped and the groundwork is being laid for a better future the hard way (little projects using little money) but the most effective way. (ie market sq overhaul, pittsburgh public market, etc). I'd also point out that some of those neighborhoods in philly losing population are indeed neighborhoods with lots of elderly. I find it somewhat short sighted that you'd think there's nothing to be learned from Philadelphia's experiences (or vice versa). I think the one thing you cannot overlook is the importance of a vibrant downtown.
south central PA is also benefitting from the increasing use of 83 as an alternate for goods movement to congested 95...not to mention NS investments in the rail corridor along that line.

Last edited by pman; 03-16-2011 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,510 times
I never had a problem with living in the suburbs--until now. I don't know if it's the $70 gas fill-ups, the traffic congestion to go no where, or the replica of everything in the suburbs (Robinson has what Monroeville has, Monroeville has what Pleasant Hills has, etc.)

I'm moving into the city for April 1, actually. Mt. Washington and a 1.7 mile commute to work, here I come. I'll be interested to see if more people just sort of up and pull a "me" in the years to come. I'm tired of the drive to get to work, tired of the rising costs, I want to be CLOSE to things that interest me and most of all--have a neighborhood to walk around that has some personality.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I never had a problem with living in the suburbs--until now. I don't know if it's the $70 gas fill-ups, the traffic congestion to go no where, or the replica of everything in the suburbs (Robinson has what Monroeville has, Monroeville has what Pleasant Hills has, etc.)

I'm moving into the city for April 1, actually. Mt. Washington and a 1.7 mile commute to work, here I come. I'll be interested to see if more people just sort of up and pull a "me" in the years to come. I'm tired of the drive to get to work, tired of the rising costs, I want to be CLOSE to things that interest me and most of all--have a neighborhood to walk around that has some personality.
Your first paragraph is why I hated NoVA. Everything was generic---chain restaurants, big-box stores, massive parking lots, vinyl siding, wide roads where cyclists and pedestrians were afterthoughts, etc. You could find similar looking neighborhoods in Ashburn, VA, Leesburg, VA, Fairfax, VA, Stafford, VA, or any number of other communities.

I ♥ urban living now. Pittsburgh might be dying a slow and agonizing death as we are about to dip below 300,000 in population, yet somehow I feel more alive here than ever before.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Your first paragraph is why I hated NoVA. Everything was generic---chain restaurants, big-box stores, massive parking lots, vinyl siding, wide roads where cyclists and pedestrians were afterthoughts, etc. You could find similar looking neighborhoods in Ashburn, VA, Leesburg, VA, Fairfax, VA, Stafford, VA, or any number of other communities.

I ♥ urban living now. Pittsburgh might be dying a slow and agonizing death as we are about to dip below 300,000 in population, yet somehow I feel more alive here than ever before.
Doesn't describe all of NoVa outside-the-Beltway or inside-the-Beltway in NoVa at all - yet you persist in stereotyping NoVa based, apparently, on the types of areas you decided you could afford (since you didn't want to have a roommate). The places you reference aren't really very different from some of the Pittsburgh suburbs, but they aren't the sum total of the area.

I'm hoping to get to Pittsburgh again some time this spring and will reserve judgment on whether it's dying "a slow and agonizing death" or downsizing gracefully. I'm hoping it's the latter, but at some point one can't keep putting a positive spin on such sustained population losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh