Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,941 times

Advertisements

Tonight, March 16, at 615pm the University of Pittsburgh is holding a special lecture about the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in Japan. The lecture will be held in Room 157 of Benedum Hall. This session is open to the community.

There will be presentations, including an overview of the reactor design, and a panel session by nuclear engineers and scientists from industry and academia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Just for the record. I am currently exactly 96 miles away from the Fukushima Nuclear Plant. I live in Shibata City, Niigata-ken. I'm here with my wife and son.

We're finalizing things, and getting out of here tomorrow night. Fortunately the winds are in favor here today, as they were yesterday. I mean, for whatever little radiation is being emitted at this point. Everything could change drastically very quickly though.

Anyways, interesting there is a lecture on this in Pittsburgh. Hope some of you go see it. Would be interesting to hear what they say.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,092 times
I'd been wondering about you, Tiger. I looked a few days ago and saw that you'd posted elsewhere on C-D Forums, so I figured you were ok.

When you say "getting out of here", do you mean out of town, or out of the country? And I wouldn't want to put you on the spot, but do you have a sense of whether the public is getting the full story on this thing?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just for the record. I am currently exactly 96 miles away from the Fukushima Nuclear Plant. I live in Shibata City, Niigata-ken. I'm here with my wife and son.

We're finalizing things, and getting out of here tomorrow night. Fortunately the winds are in favor here today, as they were yesterday. I mean, for whatever little radiation is being emitted at this point. Everything could change drastically very quickly though.

Anyways, interesting there is a lecture on this in Pittsburgh. Hope some of you go see it. Would be interesting to hear what they say.
Tiger, so glad to hear that you and family are OK and are able to get out ASAP in case the situation gets worse. Let us know how you're doing and keep us posted!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
We're relocating to Osaka. We were planning to move there anyways. But moved up the moving date a bit sooner.

Lots of highs and lows with everything that is going on. Lots of conflicting information as well. Lots of scares than reassurances that everything is okay. Up and down.

At the moment, I feel that the radiation scare was a bit too much...might I might change my opinion about it again at any moment.

The constant aftershocks were very real though. The tsunami as well - which we didn't get over here. Tons and tons of aftershocks, and their epicenters keep moving around all over the place in northern Japan.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Tonight, March 16, at 615pm the University of Pittsburgh is holding a special lecture about the situation at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in Japan. The lecture will be held in Room 157 of Benedum Hall. This session is open to the community.

There will be presentations, including an overview of the reactor design, and a panel session by nuclear engineers and scientists from industry and academia.
KDKA News interviewed Westinghouse CEO this evening about the Fukashima reactor coolant problem. He said the new generation of Westinghouse Nuclear Plants have a much safer passive coolant system that flows by gravity without reliance on pumps.They are supposed to be building a number of the new plants in some southern states.
The problem is what do we do with all the aging nuclear plants that are throughout the nation? I wonder if there is a possibility that they can upgrade existing plants? I wish I could have gone to the lecture at Benedum Hall tonight to see what they have to say.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,941 times
I attended the lecture and think it was an excellent crash course in the fundamentals of nuclear power generation for the average Joyce. I was surprised by the number of people in attendance.

The main presenter was the Director of Nuclear Engineering at Pitt, who has been a nuclear engineer at Los Alamos and Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory in West Mifflin. He gave a quick overview of reactor theory, discussed the basics of radiation, described types of plant designs, and outlined the evolution of events at Fukushima Daiichi. (It all makes a lot more sense with even a very high level understanding of the fundamentals!) There was Q&A session with several nuclear scientists and engineers, but unfortunately I had to leave before this started. I think the whole event is going to be available online -- I'll try to find it and post it here for those who are interested.

Rhondee, to answer your question, to upgrade from an existing plant to the passive design that you heard being discussed on the news is really not a possibility. The design necessary to facilitate passive cooling involves buildings of a special size and geometry to allow the proper placement of huge components. In addition, nuclear plants are licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission based on their design. Thus, major design changes require licensing changes, which carry lengthy review periods and large costs. Literally, the regulator reviews every drawing, calculation, etc., and the culmination of these documents forms the basis for the plants' operating licenses.

The Fukushima situation could not happen with the Westinghouse passive design (AP1000). Not that it is completely fault-proof, nothing is, but the risk of core damage is literally orders of magnitude less than that of the Fukushima Daiichi BWR.

The United States has 104 commercial reactors, 35 of which are Boiling Water Reactors (BWRs) -- the same basic design as Fukushima Daiichi. The US Navy operates 110 reactors.

Last edited by ML North; 03-16-2011 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Thanks for explaining ML! I hope they do make the lecture available online as it sounds like it was a good one, especially for an average Joyce like me!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,690 times
Yeah, this sounds like it was a good one. Keep us posted. Pretty nuts what's happening over there. There have been a few times where I've had to stop reading about it or watching the news – way too grim.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,431 times
Yep, BWR's are inherently much less safe since the irradiated steam has to leave the containment vessel. Additionally, the Fukushima reactors have their spent fuel stored in the same bldg. and above the ground (as well as the reactor, it looks like).

Newer designs have the main reactor and the spent fuel storage ponds stored separately and both are essentially "underground" which lessens the chance of spreading radiation if an accident were to happen.

The AP1000 design is much safer than the BWR's design but as is life, nothing is "fool proof."

PS - Tiger Beer, stay safe and good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh