Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 AM

31 posts, read 43,945 times

Advertisements

I visit Pittsburgh at least 5 times a year and love it there. Some of my family was even from up that way but that was long before i was born.
So now I am thinking of relocating there. My job will have me either traveling part of the week or working from home. I am thinking of living downtown.

Thoughts? Anyone have any experience with lofts/luxury apartment’s downtown? I like the look of the "Encore on 7th" place over across the bridge from PNC.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
People really seem to like living Downtown. Here is a link to a resident survey conducted by the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership, which will give you some idea of why people like it (links to a PDF):

http://www.downtownpittsburgh.com/_f...-june-2010.pdf

Note that people will say it doesn't have enough nightlife, but that seems to be changing, and I think there are only a few neighborhoods at this point which really have more nightlife.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 PM

250 posts, read 359,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think there are only a few neighborhoods at this point which really have more nightlife.
Really? I don't go Downtown that often anymore so maybe things have gotten a lot better in the past couple years, but as of a couple years ago, I'd say almost any neighborhood with a viable commercial center would have more appeal at night than Downtown... South Side, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, North Side, East Lib, Mt Washington...

I know it's been on the upswing but you think it's better than most of these now? Maybe I need to get back down there and revisit it...

Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
I would say the ideal canditate that currently is attracted to Downtown would likely work Downtown and make six figures. This individual enjoys going to events at the Benedum, Heinz Hall, Byham, O'Reilly, and other venues in the Cultural District, that take a decent income to utilize on a regular basis. Downtown has a nice collection of restaurants. However, most of the ones that are open for an 8pm weekday dinner, that are not fast food or pizza shops, tend to be upscale. One can expect to pay between $20-40 at the average Downtown restaurant for entrees. You are looking at $40.00 after tip. For those with money and a love for the arts, Downtown is great. I will say that there is currently a push to attract twenty-somehtings who may make $50,000.00 or less. Some modern apartments are starting around $750.00 per month with more on the way. To cater to this movement, we are seeing more 'gastro pub" type places that are staying open later, like Tavern 245 and Sharp Edge, for those who cannot afford to eat at The Carlton or Bravo Franco every night, but do not want to order pizza again. For those moving Downtown but still want to go bar hopping may be disappointed because Downtown is not party central. There are actually a decent # of bars Downtown, but they are spread out, and not concentrated in one area. In a nutshell, if you have the income to enjoy fine dining, the arts, and laid out condos, move Downtown. If you stiill want to party, eat less expensively and have more late night food options and make a modest income, you'd better look elsewhere.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 PM

There is an awful lot going on in the Cultural District these days, and it has spread over into the Market Square area as well. I'd say only the South Side and Shadyside have a clear advantage at this point, although you could argue for a couple more on your list. East Liberty and Mt Washington, I would give the edge to Downtown. The North Side is more than one neighborhood to me, and I think Downtown would have the edge over any one of them.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 AM

31 posts, read 43,945 times
Thanks for all the good information.

Since I really do not bar hop anymore (least not regularly) I think downtown would be good for me. Squirrel Hill is also in the running but I really like the views downtown. I still have a few months to plan this out but hopefully will be able to check out some places in April to see what I like.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
at six penn you can sit at the bar area and buy a couple beers and a pizza and spend a lot less than if you order of the "dinner menu." that said, the downtown scene seems to be picking up some steam, I'd guess the state office will lead to one or two more businesses.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:13 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
Really? I don't go Downtown that often anymore so maybe things have gotten a lot better in the past couple years, but as of a couple years ago, I'd say almost any neighborhood with a viable commercial center would have more appeal at night than Downtown... South Side, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, North Side, East Lib, Mt Washington...

I know it's been on the upswing but you think it's better than most of these now? Maybe I need to get back down there and revisit it...
I think we can all agree that the Southside is by leaps and bounds the premier nightlife district in the city, and every other neighborhood is fighting for a very distant second place in that category.

However, as for those other neighborhoods that you listed only Shadyside, Lawrenceville and maybe Bloomfield are better than downtown when it comes to nightlife, IMO. The Cultural District is a very underrated asset for downtown. Also, with the current trajectory of development that is going on there, I could see it easily surpassing those places and becoming the undisputed second best nightlife spot in the city over the next decade.

It's already at that level if you are including the near-Strip as part of downtown.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I think we can all agree that the Southside is by leaps and bounds the premier nightlife district in the city, and every other neighborhood is fighting for a very distant second place in that category.

However, as for those other neighborhoods that you listed only Shadyside, Lawrenceville and maybe Bloomfield are better than downtown when it comes to nightlife, IMO. The Cultural District is a very underrated asset for downtown. Also, with the current trajectory of development that is going on there, I could see it easily surpassing those places and becoming the undisputed second best nightlife spot in the city over the next decade.

It's already at that level if you are including the near-Strip as part of downtown.
just the ease with which you can get to different places downtown should make it relatively easy to develop a cluster that would be hard to replicate (provided they can increase the customer base). the "new market" sq places, IMO, have moved downtown one large step in that direction. not being young as I used to be, I prefer the laid back vibe at Tavern 245 to carson st.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM

I'm not ashamed to admit that as a Muppie (substitute middle-aged for young), Downtown is becoming much more my scene than the South Side.

But I think it is actually good to have both in reasonable proximity, and I hope the First Side part of Downtown eventually helps bridge the gap. The North Shore could develop into yet another sort of scene, same with the Lower Hill/Bluff, and the Strip could be enhanced (particularly in the near-Downtown part), and then you could have a lot of variety in a compact area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh