Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 PM

137 posts, read 274,630 times

Advertisements

So the buses or T, depending on which area we move to, seem to be a 25-30min ride downtown in the mornings. Not too bad. But DH doesn't work 9-5 hours usually, and is interested in the difference in commute times if he were to drive (I think he's tired of living by a train schedule after 8 years, too).

The alternative is to drive downtown. But I can't figure out:

1) How's the drive time during the morning commute? DH will be going to 5th ave and Grant - let's say from around Main Park for a start point for now.
2) How late does the Pgh rush hour last in the evenings? Do things calm down by 6:30?
3) Are there inexpensive lots downtown to park in? How much would it be to park in the vicinity of 5th and Grant?

I'm googling to no avail... please help if you can!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
The South Hills is a bear to drive to or from, as all the traffic has to funnel through the tunnels, although you should be ok and be able to make it to town in 15 minutes most mornings if you leave by 6:30.

Parking downtown is expensive, particularly around the courthouse at 5th and Grant.

Its a bit of a walk, but if you're early enough you can park at Allies and Wood or 9th and Penn for $9.75.

If you go downtown at 8:30, the traffic will be a lot worse, and the "cheap" parking spaces will be gone and it will take longer and might cost close to twice as much to park, if you can find a space.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
I don't have personal experience commuting from Mt. Lebo to downtown, but the Ft. Pitt Tunnel is pretty bad at rush hour. I'm not sure if an alternate, longer route like the West End or Liberty Bridge saves any time, I doubt it. Figure on something in the 45-60min ballpark at peak times. Traffic is bad 7-9am, 4-6pm, the rest of the time is not too bad. By 6:30pm, traffic has died down substantially. Parking is expensive, downtown lease (depending on the garage) is around $200-250/month or $10-13/day ballpark at the parking authority lots, there might be some cheaper options someone else can share with you but I'm not aware of any.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
Here's the parking authority lots and rates: http://www.pittsburghparking.com/assets/12-17-10_rate_chart.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh