Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times

Advertisements

For more photo tours, visit: http://historicpittsburgh.blogspot.com

My original title for this tour was to be "The Grand Homes of Braddock," but then I decided that some of the modest mill homes were interesting, too, and of course so was the remaining commercial architecture and the Carnegie Library. In fact, there are so many notable buildings in Braddock that the town defies its reputation as a cheaply-built neighborhood of "substandard" worker housing. Surprises abound in Braddock and one would be foolish to generalize what this town is about -- whether it relates to its architecture or long history of decline.

YouTube - ‪Braddock, PA (Photo Tour)‬‏

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 05-18-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
I really enjoy your work!

Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
That's certainly a different view of Braddock than one gets when driving down Braddock or Talbot Avenues.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
This is really interesting. I recently read the novel "Out of this Furnace" when my son brought it home from college and it is set mostly in Braddock, PA in the late 19th/early 20th century. The description of the town and what life was like there back then seems brought to life in some of those pictures of the millworkers shacks.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Thanks for the photo tour, AA.

There are beautiful homes there that can rival homes in Pittsburgh's most affluent neighborhoods.

The Mayor would be wise to promote the positives of the town, not just the decay.

More people might be willing to move to Braddock if they saw more than the "relic" photos.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Great photos as always.
---

Those nicer homes look occupied. Why don't any of them know what mowing the grass means or what exterior maintenance/curb appeal is about? Homes like that in nicer parts of Pgh. don't have weeds growing all over and shrubs are trimmed. Or is it because of all the rain ?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Why don't any of them know what mowing the grass means or what exterior maintenance/curb appeal is about? Homes like that in nicer parts of Pgh. don't have weeds growing all over and shrubs are trimmed.
You'd be surprised how many of the grand homes in Shadyside have lawns that look even worse than some of those lawns in Braddock (especially some of the student rentals). I used to live there. Eventually, I decided if I was going to put up with eyesores, there was no reason to pay outrageous rent to live in Shadyside, and up I moved to McKees Rocks.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Thank you for posting that. Nicely done. It made me a bit sad to see a place like that struggling and it must have had a real nice history. Many beautiful buildings. I remember attending a funeral down there a few years back in a nice section with really nice homes and the church was really quite nice as well. The church was struggling and in a bit of disrepair due to lack of funds to keep it going. Not sure what can be done if industry isn't there anymore? Only hope is some company comes in and starts manufacturing something. There does seem to be a shift going on nationally for the US to start making things again because China is costing more and it is getting closer to being cost effective to do so. You never know.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Great video! I'm assuming the housing stock in Braddock followed the pattern of other mill towns in the area: workers' rowhouses and courts on the flats below the tracks and near the mill, middle-class and shop-owner housing on the slopes leading out of town, and management and superintendents houses at the top of the hill.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Great job on the photo tour, I really enjoyed it.

I always know there were homes in Braddock that had amazing
architectural detail, but I didn't know the houses were that nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thanks for the photo tour, AA.

There are beautiful homes there that can rival homes in Pittsburgh's most affluent neighborhoods.
I agree, these homes are as nice as any in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh