Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 AM

48 posts, read 199,503 times

Advertisements

You guys ROCK! Thank you so much for all the information and help!!!

After realizing the taxes in Mt. Lebo, it did make us rethink and re-examine our choices. I take back my words of "the taxes aren't that bad there." Still keeping Mt. Lebanon in the mix, I am now looking to add other towns for us to look at.

We will be living there by the end of Oct. and soon will be making our house hunting trips to the Burg. I love the old style houses in Mt. Lebo, are there any other towns with that feel, lower taxes, and good school districts in and out of Allegeny County, near South Pointe? Though that 3% wage tax makes me gulp also.

I am not too fond of taxes and I know you get what you pay for...and most people believe its a necessary thing...just don't like writing the check, LOL.

I have read the other threads about moving to PGH and read about Ross Township too. And thanks Janiesgirl for the info too, I did need the tax thing spelled out. I now know that I can go to other towns websites and get that info for other towns.

I would love to keep this thread going as we make our trips out there. Our relo might be happening faster then we anticipated also.

Pittsburg here we come...kids, pets and all!

Last edited by anitacandle; 08-05-2007 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
After realizing the taxes in Mt. Lebo, it did make us rethink and re-examine our choices. I take back my words of "the taxes aren't that bad there." Still keeping Mt. Lebanon in the mix, I am now looking to add other towns for us to look at.
Taxes really make things messy, huh? I understand you completely. Don't write off Mt. Lebo yet, though, it is truly a lovely place to live.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:45 AM

Mt. Lebo is still in there, my mom lives in Nevillewood and keeps Mt. Lebo in the fore front for us! Every conversation is... I love Mt. Lebo, the new restaurants she's been too, the great doctors she now has, how charming it is, how everyone she talks to say move here...my mom is campaigning hard for Mt. Lebo!!! And YES, the taxes make it messy.

This will be our only second home thus far and here in Phila we made an awesome choice with some luck and some research with our first home.

Looking forward to getting out there and seeing the houses!!! And love knowing the tax thing now, that had eluded me.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:58 PM

67 posts, read 288,276 times
Default Some things can't be valued

boylocke is right - Lebo is a lovely place. We live here and are very happy. I feel we pay, but we get what we pay for in terms of schools, programs, livability, housing stock (I like plaster walls and old houses)... Don't write it off.

Contrary to popular belief, Mt. Lebanon is not a uniformly "rich" community. You get more of that vibe in USC. There are modest houses and blue-collar type families throughout Lebo. There are folks on public assistance (not that many, but they exist). But what integrates the community is a commitment to good schools, good programs, and friendly neighborhoods.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:02 PM

I am looking on line for YMCA's or the like in Mt. Lebanon. I want a place for working out that also has childrens programs including babysitting to use while I am working out. I can't find anything. What does Mt. Lebanon have for moms who want to work out with babysitting? Where do mom's take their kids (the ones not in school) for structured activities, like swimming, pee wee sports etc.?

After thinking about the taxes, it seems a wash between Peter's Township and Mt. Lebo. Buy a more expensive house in Peter's Twnshp pay lower taxes OR buy a less expensive house in Mt. Lebo and pay higher taxes. The difference in 3K a year in taxes between 50K in housing price.

It will be nice to get there and start looking!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM

I've belonged to Amerifit and used to take my kids to their day care center while I worked out. Amerifit is in Scott Twp, directly adjacent to Mt. Lebanon. There are other gyms, but I don't know their policies.

The YMCA is in Upper St. Clair. You may or may not find it too far. They have a number of programs. Most people enroll their little ones in nursery school. There are a number of nursery schools in Lebo.

The Mt. Lebanon Rec center offers classes for residents of all ages (2 - 100). The library has programs for residents of all ages too. Storytime is always nice. There's a Gymboree in the Galleria. A local parent cooperative runs an indoor play center (See Saw Center) which is great in the winter. Join the Children's Museum and Science Center for anytime, but especially cold, dreary days.

Sports, Swimming, etc. can all be accomplished within Mt. Lebanon, either through the Rec department or through Y-programs run in Lebo: Learn to Swim, Y-winners soccer, pee wee tennis, T-ball, ice skating, more...

School aged kids have too many options to choose from, leading to the over-scheduled child syndrome. ;-)

Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
the taxes were the decideing factor for us between Mt Lebo and Peter's when we bought. Alot of my friends moved from Mt Lebo into Peters to get out of the tax situation. (basically double). Peter's has a 1% local income tax as well.

The YMCA is in USC has a pool (waiting list to join) but does offer swim lessons etc... the actual bldg there is small and old. I was very disapointed. I don't think they have a gym. (but there are gyms all over)

Peter's has a newly built rec center (no pool though) but the highschool has a pool and that's where they run the learn to swim program. There is one neighborhood Pool in peteer's Rose garden. The waiting list for membership is about 4 years! (but some houses will go up for sale and include the pool bond...HUGE selling feature) they run a swim team and give lessons. the Rec program offers softball, soccer, baseball, football, lacrosse etc.... A very good tennis center (year yound..so does mt lebo) that offer great instuction for kids.

The older smaller houses in peters are usually on the bigger 1/2 acre lots. ours was a 3 bedroom 1960 multi...it need cosmetic fix ups...paint and baths. kitchen etc... we did all that over the 8 years we lived there and made $75k when we sold. There are some streets I would stay away from (busy etc...) so if you decided on Peter's feel free to PM me and I can tell you if a place lies on a busy street etc...

I really don't think you could go wrong with either Mt Lebo, USC or Peter's...just really look at the taxes etc... schools are all good and all have great amienties.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Thanks again 5Stones and janiesgirl! Just got off the phone with AmeriFit, Peter's Township and Mt. Lebo discussing their facilities and rec centers. It is very different there in the way of work out clubs etc. It all takes a little bit of getting use to.

I am so grateful I am learning this now and I'll be more prepared when we move.

I will need to find a preschool for my son and advertise for baby sitting in my home for the younger ones. That all can wait until we're there.

Those you who live in Mt. Lebo, do you have garages? If not, how is the on street parking, snow removal etc?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
one thing to watch out for is the steep driveways in the Pittsburg area, not a problem now....but in winter!! I had one friend in Peters who would have to park at the bottom of her driveway until it got cleared.

Good luck I really liked the South hIlls area and still go back to visit every now and then...so green and soooo many trees. It really is a GREAT place to raise a family.

One thing on preschools... you might find most of them booked for this year. They all pretty much do the registration in Feb/Mar for the new school year. A very good in Mt Lebo is at Westminster Church right on rt 19. Beth El church is alos very good (bethel park??) in Peters... the ones I'd recommed are...Trinity weekday school (Trinity methodist church...also runs Mom's day out on fri) St Davids and then Noah's ark (they usually have openings after the other two have filled) they also have a 2year old class. There are others but these are the ones I would consider first.
I'd really start calling to see if any have openings (mornings are what fills up first so the afternoon classes might have a better chance.

For babysitting... Lots of stay at home moms, lots will babysit 1-2 children in there house with thier little ones. Peter's Township newcommers club has a babysitting co-op where you watch each other kids for points etc... That's where lots of moms find in home babysitters etc....

Good luck.

Hopefully someone from Mt Lebo can give you some more names in that area.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Most houses have garages in Mt. Lebanon. If you do not have a garage, there are municipal spaces you can use. You buy a parking pass from the Parking Authority. I have an integral garage and my driveway is fairly level, but 5Stones cautionary tale is well-taken. A steep driveway is troublesome in winter and Mt. Lebanon prohibits overnight street parking except in permit spaces (you can call the police if you have an emergency or guests who need to park overnight and they will know to not ticket your car).

As for the Y, they will be building new facilities in the next 2 years (we are very involved in different YMCA committees/boards).

Pre-schools in Mt. Lebanon include Mushroom Learning (Unitarian church), St. Pauls (Episcopal church), Southminster (Presbyterian church), Beth El (synagogue), Temple Emmanuel (Synagogue), 2 Montessori schools, plus multiple other schools. Don't be deterred by the church/synagogue location; many are non-denominational. As 5Stones noted, they are probably on waiting list status, but hey, people move out of the community or choose other facilities, so they're worth contacting. (Westminster is in USC)

If you do look in Lebo, please feel free to PM me. I can give you info about the area you're looking in. I've been here a long time, know a lot about the community, and still have kids in school. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh