Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:19 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Please take the talks of Northern Virginia to its designated forum. I see them in the Pittsburgh forum all too often.
Thank you, thank you! I totally agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumecpdx View Post
On my recent visit, I found Pittsburgh to be well integrated for the most part,
I had the same impression, too. Of course, this is just the impression of a visitor who only went to a few parts of town. I know there are other areas in Pittsburgh where the races are more separate, but the areas I went to seemed fairly well integrated.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:34 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Masloff was appointed mayor upon the death of the previous mayor, as she was city council president.
And then she was reelected in 1989. Pittsburghers chose to keep her in office.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
And then she was reelected in 1989. Pittsburghers chose to keep her in office.
Fine. For the third time, I was going by something I read on the Pittsburgh forum, to wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
No non Irish has attained the office of mayor since William McNair, in 1933, except by appointment. Sophie and Luke became mayor upon the death of the incumbent, Caligiuri became mayor when Flaherty resigned. All others who originally attained the office by election were Irish.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestReadingGangsta View Post
Why is everybody that lives in Shadyside an "elitist snob". This in it's self is also an ignorant stereotype. Like it far from ok to stereotype from one to another but not visa verse.

Must hate on the college educated ones who bring in a larger tax base and keep their neighborhood clean and vibrant by calling them elitist snobs. It's ok though because it's socially acceptable.
Not everyone but a vast majority are. You only really (well I do) really run into them during the daylight hours, primarily along Walnut street. I've ran into my fair share of snobbish sales associates, at various stores, that will remain nameless, too. At night, a cooler 'hipper' crowd comes out along its business districts. I like Shadyside at night. Daytime, not so much.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Last I checked Squirrel Hill was 80% Jewish
You might think, but it hasn't been that high a percentage in about a generation, AFAIK. It's closer to 50%, maybe a little less. I know it's so when I drive through in December and see Christmas lights on the Friedmans' house, among others.

Quote:
Please take the talks of Northern Virginia to its designated forum. I see them in the Pittsburgh forum all too often.
+1

Last edited by jay5835; 05-31-2011 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
You only really (well I do) really run into them during the daylight hours, primarily along Walnut street.
How exactly do you identify an elitist snob by passing them on the street? Is your sense attuned to other traits, like "irritable" or "anxious"? Can you teach your technique?

Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
How exactly do you identify an elitist snob by passing them on the street? Is your sense attuned to other traits, like "irritable" or "anxious"? Can you teach your technique?
She might be using the words "yuppie" and "elitist snob" interchangeably.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:56 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
She might be using the words "yuppie" and "elitist snob" interchangeably.
Or perhaps she means it as a synonym for "affluent white people".

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Many of you need to understand that Pittsburgh is considered to be racist not because of the segregation of its people but because of other factors.

Black healthcare in the region is the worst in the state and ranks pretty high nationally, considering Pittsburgh has one of the best healthcare systems in the Country. Do any of you remember the the Diversity study done by University of Pittsburgh?

Justice from police brutality cases is almost unheard of there, from the recent attack by the police in Homewood to the J. Gammage case some years back. Can anyone remember the last time that a white police officer was convicted of police brutality against a person of color?

Education, to be more specific city schools (except proably Taylor Alderdice) are not funded like the suburban schools considering that city residents pay higher taxes on average. Many people complain that urban schools that are predominately black are closed at a higher rate than white schools.

Employment, granted that nationally unemployment for the AA's have been hit the hardest during the recession, but Pittsburgh's black population has ALWAYS been that way regardless of how well the rest of the country does. Certain employers and even some factions in the government have been "screening" potential applicants based on assumed ethnicies and or the zip codes of the applicants. A couple of friends of mine, one Italian and one black sent resumes to the same company with exactly the same qualifications. We used the same zip codes (the addresses was across the street from each other) 5 out of 5 times my italian friend was granted an interview "Jamal" was not even called. That was actually the second experienment, the first came about through a first hand experience. I sent 6 resumes to different companies using the 15219 (downtown/hill) zipcode and six with my State College zipcode to those same companies. I was called for 4 interviews with the State College resumes and never called with the other one. I actually went to one of the interviews and once I got there, I was than told the the position had been filled. Since I have an old world first and sur name there was no telling of my ethnic background.

Is this still going on? I don't know but I would not be surprised. I did notice that many AAs that have pretty good jobs are not native of Pittsburgh, and the few native AA that do have jobs have at some point left the city and came back. I don't know how or what to make of it and I guess many of you will come to your own conclusions. Pittsburgh does not have the Klan marching around in sheets because a suit and tie is more effective.

I don't think that many whites or some well off blacks will agree about what I have written, but it is what it is. Just because you don't experience it or see it does not mean that it is not there. I'm pretty sure that it is not just the poor and uneducated screaming racism, but the few blacks in cooperate Pittsburgh THINK the same thing but want to keep their piece of the American dream by remaining silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh