Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Maybe you could re-read my remarks. You'll see I'm not suggesting it's the amount of money which makes them "old money", but (naturally) the age of it. As for the modest style of your Mellon acquaintance, you'll see that that is precisely the point I am making above.
I know you agreed about old money is more subtle, but I was hoping you didn't have the view that you need to be in Mellon's class to be considered having money.

I must have misunderstood and just saw the "Mellon" name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I think people are are over complicating the whole segregation/de-segregation thing. There's a pretty simple reason why there are black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods: people like people like themselves.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I looked up this "10 Most Segregated Cities" story in Salon magazine. Their methodology was to take the 102 cities with a metro population of 500,000+ and look at housing patterns. So the title should really be, "10 Most Segregated Cities by Housing". Pittsburgh is not in the top 10%, but we don't know if it's #11 or #102. I could not find a full list. What is more telling about Pittsburgh, I think, is that it has never had a mayor who was a member of a minority group, or even, according to what I read on CD recently, an elected mayor who was not of Irish ancestry.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 AM

443 posts, read 600,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I looked up this "10 Most Segregated Cities" story in Salon magazine. Their methodology was to take the 102 cities with a metro population of 500,000+ and look at housing patterns. So the title should really be, "10 Most Segregated Cities by Housing". Pittsburgh is not in the top 10%, but we don't know if it's #11 or #102. I could not find a full list. What is more telling about Pittsburgh, I think, is that it has never had a mayor who was a member of a minority group, or even, according to what I read on CD recently, an elected mayor who was not of Irish ancestry.
Where does Denver rank? It seems to be a more utopia out there with blacks and whites living together. Highlands Ranch and 5 Points are totally unrecognizable.

Truth is, I never ever, lived in a city that was blended. Even here in Small Berks county there are white areas like Kenhorst, Wyomissing, and the hispanic and black areas in Reading. There are certain areas though like Manhattan, Center City Philly, that do have a blended cultural areas, however this is not true of the whole cities themselves.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:55 AM

101 posts, read 218,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sophie Masloff. Not Irish. First Jewish Mayor of Pittsburgh too if I remember my reading correctly. If I remember correctly she was a ground breaker being a female mayor in the early 1980's too.

Let’s face it Pittsburgh is a one party city and the D’s know that. Instead of defaulting to the D’s. If you don’t feel you have a voice you maybe people should seriously give the other party a shot. It seems to be a strategic move other minorities are trying with great success.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestReadingGangsta View Post
Where does Denver rank? It seems to be a more utopia out there with blacks and whites living together. Highlands Ranch and 5 Points are totally unrecognizable.

Truth is, I never ever, lived in a city that was blended. Even here in Small Berks county there are white areas like Kenhorst, Wyomissing, and the hispanic and black areas in Reading. There are certain areas though like Manhattan, Center City Philly, that do have a blended cultural areas, however this is not true of the whole cities themselves.
Don't know. The only listed the top 10 in order of segregation. Denver had a Hispanic mayor for 8 years back in the 80s/early 90s, and a black mayor for 12 years in the 90s/early 2000s. It looks like it may get another black mayor next week.

I wouldn't call Denver "utopia" by a long shot, but it's not as segregated as a lot of other cities.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsHollow View Post
Sophie Masloff. Not Irish. First Jewish Mayor of Pittsburgh too if I remember my reading correctly. If I remember correctly she was a ground breaker being a female mayor in the early 1980's too.

Let’s face it Pittsburgh is a one party city and the D’s know that. Instead of defaulting to the D’s. If you don’t feel you have a voice you maybe people should seriously give the other party a shot. It seems to be a strategic move other minorities are trying with great success.
Masloff was appointed mayor upon the death of the previous mayor, as she was city council president.

I didn't research this all, that's why I qualified my post by saying according to what I read on CD.

Sophie Masloff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-30-2011, 11:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I never said parts of NoVA are "primarily" Hispanic or Asian.
Fair enough. You used the words "dense concentration" which has a similar implication as "primarily." It doesn't change my point--however, you are right that you did not use the word "primarily".

So, for the sake of using the exact words, and to be crystal clear, let me try again: There are no areas in northern VA that have dense concentrations of Asian, Hispanic, or Black people. At the same time, to be clear, there is a very large population of Asian, Hispanic, and Black people in northern Virginia, as well as a huge number of people who would say they belong to several or all of those groups. The explanation is that the races are all spread fairly evenly throughout the area and there are an unusually high number of mixed families, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
would you please mind telling me how you jumped from "A" (the sentence within my reply I underlined, bolded, and italicized) to "B" (the sentence within your reply I underlined, bolded, and italicized)?
I'm glad it was a misunderstanding.

It's not a big deal, just a matter of a sentence that sounded like it meant something you did not intend. However, since you asked for an explanation of how someone draws the conclusion that I did, I'll do my best. The sentence in question is "While NoVA was diverse in terms of Hispanic and Asian descents there wasn't really anywhere with a dense concentration of black professionals." Your point might have been more clear if those had been two separate sentences, since they involve two different thoughts. For example, you could have said "NoVA is diverse in terms of blacks, Hispanics and Asians. There isn't really isn't a dense concentration of black professionals that you find in other cities." By writing that sentence in the way that you did, you made an implication that there are places in Nova that have dense concentrations of Asians and Hispanic people. As noted above, I disagree with this implication. There's also a possible implication in your sentence that there may not be that many Black people in Nova. I'm sure that was not your intention, but to be crystal clear there is a large population of Black people there, as well. Hope that clears it up. It's not a big deal--I make lots of writing errors, too--but you wanted an explanation, so there it is.

Last edited by Caladium; 05-30-2011 at 12:19 PM..

Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Please take the talks of Northern Virginia to its designated forum. I see them in the Pittsburgh forum all too often.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:07 PM

65 posts, read 132,093 times
On my recent visit, I found Pittsburgh to be well integrated for the most part, although i only saw one person of asian decent and did not see anyone that looked like they were of hispanic origin. It seemed mostly a black and white city, but in the many neighborhoods I explored, they all seemed integrated and safe. I did not explore the suburbs or Oakland/Shadyside, so i cant speak of those areas, but from Mt. Washington, to Mt. oliver, to Lawrenceville and the northside, I noticed a nice co-mingling. Loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh