Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:43 PM

12 posts, read 27,371 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Nashville TN to Pittsburgh with 2 children ages 3.5 and 12 months--soon! My husband will be commuting to the south side and I am starting my own business that will include some schlepping to my customers. Looking for likemindedness, parks and arts --yet something doable for the 65-70k income bracket. We make sacrifices to give our kids the best in terms of home enviroment and preschool quality. I love details! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
What's a progressive couple?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 PM

598 posts, read 748,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What's a progressive couple?
Two people of the same gender living together as a family?

Old 06-04-2011, 10:16 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I think by "progressive" she means that they are into organic foods, are tolerant of diversity, enjoy being "green", are fashionable, and are otherwise being current (or even ahead of) trends.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Since she's seeking "likemindedness," it's important we know for certain what "progressive couple" means. For all we know, they could be swingers!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:08 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,914 times
Hippies >:|

Old 06-05-2011, 03:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
I agree clarification would be helpful, but usually today "progressive" means the current version of what would previously have been called "liberal".

Anyway, I don't know much about preschools on that side of town, but I'd bet there are some decent ones. So I would be thinking about actually living in or close to the South Side (e.g., including the South Side Slopes and Mt Washington in addition to the South Side Flats). Your projected income isn't that bad to begin with, and in any event once you get out of the heart of the Flats the housing gets more affordable. People will talk about the crazy party atmosphere in the Flats at night, which is true, but I think you will find many of the full-time residents in that general area are along the lines of what you are looking for.

If you want more options you could also look in the Greenfield/Squirrel Hill area. That's an easy commute over to the South Side, again has the sort of community I think you are looking for, and there I can vouch for the preschool options being good.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:22 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettabelle View Post
We are moving from Nashville TN to Pittsburgh with 2 children ages 3.5 and 12 months--soon! My husband will be commuting to the south side and I am starting my own business that will include some schlepping to my customers. Looking for likemindedness, parks and arts --yet something doable for the 65-70k income bracket. We make sacrifices to give our kids the best in terms of home enviroment and preschool quality. I love details! Thanks!
Schlepping? Interesting word choice. Are you Jewish? If so, you might want to check out Squirrel Hill. It has a fairly sizeable Jewish and progressive community, close to Schenley and Frick parks and not a terrible commute to the South Side. Your income is a little low for that area, but you might be able to find something cheap near there. There are a lot of diverse homes in Squirrel Hill, so there are certainly some lower value properties that you could check out. I'm not going to touch the "progressive" comment. Ugh.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:51 AM

137 posts, read 274,764 times
We're looking to move into Mt. Lebanon. You can definitely rent there in your price range, from what I've seen (or buy a smaller 3br/1ba in Sunset Hills). Over in Sunset Hills I did see a Montessori preschool - it was not very expensive (<$3k/yr I think?) BUT it only had 2 hour program for 3yo. I did see signs when we were there on lots of churches advertising preschools, as well. I know here in Atlanta most people go that route - they aren't typically religious in their curriculum, so that's usually not a deterrent.

I'm not sure if it's really a liberal town... I sort of doubt it, but I'm betting it has a good mix based on the reasons people live there (wanting a walkable place, public transportation to downtown, etc...) Maybe someone who's been there a while can comment on that.

I think Dormont would be more "progressive", but it's school district isn't as good. Likewise Squirrel Hill would be awesome - but you'd have to decide for yourself about the schools there.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:20 AM

12 posts, read 27,371 times
Yes, this is what I meant. Thank you. My fault for assuming that people knew the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh