Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:13 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestReadingGangsta View Post
The OP should have drawn attention to the annoying groups of people who use the Park to blast music and conjugate in large groups that limit others to peacefully use the park also regardless of race. There have been many times while running through the park I had to run past annoying large groups of people blasting music and turning a park (which is a public place meant for everybody to use) into a large public outcry of "pay attention to us over here everybody!" This is for anybody regardless of race.

It isn't socially unacceptable to draw attention to certain people who abuse playgrounds and other forms of parks making other tax paying individuals feel threatened not to go to the park.

I think the loud music is a legitimate complaint. I know the several times that I've seen large gatherings of blacks in the park, I could first hear the music a 1/4 mile or more away. I don't care what race you are, there is no reason to play music that loud in a public space.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
We use the playground at Forbes and Braddock a lot, and there are in fact frequent gatherings of people doing BBQs and such. A lot of them seem to be birthday parties or what I am guessing might be reunions of some sort.

However, we haven't experienced a lot of excessively loud music. I'm not saying it never happens, but we are there a lot and it hasn't been a notable problem.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:25 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I think the loud music is a legitimate complaint. I know the several times that I've seen large gatherings of blacks in the park, I could first hear the music a 1/4 mile or more away. I don't care what race you are, there is no reason to play music that loud in a public space.
The police first came, I believe, to rid of the illegal parkers. They turned in to the parking lot, and shortly after, the music was turned way down. It was a big distraction, people were sitting at the intersection looking around wondering where it was coming from. We could easily hear it from Kensington Street.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

However, we haven't experienced a lot of excessively loud music. I'm not saying it never happens, but we are there a lot and it hasn't been a notable problem.
In the nearly four years we have lived in this neighborhood, the music isn't always loud for sure, but I have just found it interesting and kind of funny that it's an African American gathering every Saturday.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua teen carl View Post
that's how they roll.
lol!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We use the playground at Forbes and Braddock a lot, and there are in fact frequent gatherings of people doing BBQs and such. A lot of them seem to be birthday parties or what I am guessing might be reunions of some sort.

Yes, I've only noticed it a few times myself.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
In the nearly four years we have lived in this neighborhood, the music isn't always loud for sure, but I have just found it interesting and kind of funny that it's an African American gathering every Saturday.
Honestly, I don't get why you find it surprising or "funny". A lot of African-American people live near there. It is a nice spot to have a weekend gathering. QED, no?

Maybe the better question is why aren't more non-AA people doing that?

Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 PM

I noticed that by the mid 90's a lot more African-Americans started using the Forbes and Braddock part of Frick Park. I also noticed they seemed to show up around mid afternoon, and the park would go from all white, to all black. I don't spend a lot of time in that part of the park, but is it still like that?

Old 06-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
. . . and the park would go from all white, to all black. I don't spend a lot of time in that part of the park, but is it still like that?
Not in our experience. We could be there anywhere from mid-morning to late afternoon. Besides us, there are usually both white and black people in the park regardless of time (unless perhaps there are very few people at all, say for weather reasons). I have no idea what it was like before 2006, however (that is when we had our kid). I also have no idea if there would be more subtle patterns if you really looked for them (we aren't looking for them).

Old 06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
I noticed that by the mid 90's a lot more African-Americans started using the Forbes and Braddock part of Frick Park. I also noticed they seemed to show up around mid afternoon, and the park would go from all white, to all black. I don't spend a lot of time in that part of the park, but is it still like that?
It is amazing all the natural segregation that happens without anyone really interfering with it all. I have noticed in the evening that there are parties going on that are really all black. I think they come from Wilkinsburg and enjoy that nice park. It is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh