Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Sewickley when there's not commuting traffic is about 20-25 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh.
Is it really that far? It seems much shorter than that. I am going to time it from Fox Chapel next time around. From my home to downtown is about 10 minutes off peak. Just seems Sewickley would be 15 minutes from the city, but I have never timed it. 20-25 seems farther than I would ever expect off peak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 06:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Is it really that far? It seems much shorter than that. I am going to time it from Fox Chapel next time around. From my home to downtown is about 10 minutes off peak. Just seems Sewickley would be 15 minutes from the city, but I have never timed it. 20-25 seems farther than I would ever expect off peak.

20-25 is accurate if you are staying within the speed limits.

A lot of places along 65 you can easily exceed the limit, but would you want to risk a ticket going through a dozen different jurisdictions.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I brought up Beaver earlier. The big drawback to Beaver over Sewickley IMO is that it's so far from Pittsburgh when you want to do something in the city. Sewickley when there's not commuting traffic is about 20-25 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. For Beaver you have to double that.

Sewickley and next door Osborne and Edgeworth boroughs have plenty of area where you can walk to and around town, although I can't say what the market is for rental of single family homes in those spots. Pricey for the Pittsburgh area, I'm guessing, if there are any available at all, but maybe not too pricey for the OP. I'd still look there first if it were me.
According to google maps, Beaver is 34-44 min from "The Point" depending on the route taken. I'd go with Beaver myself, but I'm a native Beaver Countian.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
20-25 is accurate if you are staying within the speed limits.
Yeah, I can get that. There are places on that road that you can speed a bit because there are no places police can be to get you. Of course I never do that, but I have seen veterans do so occasionally.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Depends upon how many lights you have to stop at as well. Catch a few lights at the exact wrong times and you add a few minutes easily. 20 is pretty solid though most of the non-peak time. It also depends upon where you start from or count to in Sewickley. If you count off just the edge of downtown to, say, the bridge, it's easy to underestimate. I try not to overly exaggerate the times when talking to those unfamiliar with the area. (I count the real times to some places and compared with times people tell me I sometimes have to wonder if they keep some ideal absolute best time in their head in order to help them justify the spot. ) The Kilbuck speed trap is apparently a thing of the long past these days (I don't know how it went down but that police dept doesn't even exist these days), but you can still get a ticket in a couple spots on 65, and it's more likely at off hours than rush hour.

Google map of Beaver to Pittsburgh pegs at 43 min. Again it's easy to make that time more or less depending upon exact points; I used the generic city names which should be a decent average. It's still about double no matter how you look at it. But, 40 minutes may not be long enough to concern the OP. Sounds like she might care to be closer to additional choices for things, which is generally easier if closer to the city. Beaver is great, though, solid, "real" downtown.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Depends upon how many lights you have to stop at as well. Catch a few lights at the exact wrong times and you add a few minutes easily. 20 is pretty solid though most of the non-peak time. It also depends upon where you start from or count to in Sewickley. If you count off just the edge of downtown to, say, the bridge, it's easy to underestimate. I try not to overly exaggerate the times when talking to those unfamiliar with the area. The Kilbuck speed trap is apparently a thing of the long past these days (I don't know how it went down but that police dept doesn't even exist these days), but you can still get a ticket in a couple spots on 65, and it's more likely at off hours than rush hour.

Google map of Beaver to Pittsburgh pegs at 43 min. Again it's easy to make that time more or less depending upon exact points. It's still about double no matter how you look at it. But, 40 minutes may not be long enough to concern the OP. Sounds like she might care to be closer to additional choices for things, which is generally easier if closer to the city. Beaver is great, though, solid, "real" downtown.
Google maps told me 34 min to "The Point" from Beaver (I just typed in Beaver, but it's not very big) if you take I-376.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:48 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Google maps told me 34 min to "The Point" from Beaver (I just typed in Beaver, but it's not very big) if you take I-376.
LOL, what did you put in as the destination? Admittedly I put only "Pittsburgh, PA" before to get 43 min, but even when I put in a reasonable address near the Point (625 Stanwix Street, where I park) it says 40 min.

So something is out of whack there.

EDIT: To be fair, a long route like that can have a lot of play in it to make up time. If it's 40 on Google Maps, I'm sure it can be shaved to 30 on empty roads on the weekend. If I put my house address in and 625 Stanwix, Google Maps says it's 36 minutes. I can shave 10 minutes off that easily on the weekend, and the Beaver drive is more miles. (Mine's only 22 and the first 5 or 6 are on back roads.)

Still, I think it's important to point out that that those are ideal number and one shouldn't expect that all the time, even on a weekend or other off time. The Google Maps number is probably not a bad average to worst case for off times. It can't take into account any driving at rush hour though.

Last edited by greg42; 06-12-2011 at 06:57 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
LOL, what did you put in as the destination? Admittedly I put only "Pittsburgh, PA" before to get 43 min, but even when I put in a reasonable address near the Point (625 Stanwix Street, where I park) it says 40 min.

So something is out of whack there.

EDIT: To be fair, a long route like that can have a lot of play in it to make up time. If it's 40 on Google Maps, I'm sure it can be shaved to 30 on empty roads on the weekend. If I put my house address in and 625 Stanwix, Google Maps says it's 36 minutes. I can shave 10 minutes off that easily on the weekend, and the Beaver drive is more miles. (Mine's only 22 and the first 5 or 6 are on back roads.)

Still, I think it's important to point out that that those are ideal number and one shouldn't expect that all the time, even on a weekend or other off time. The Google Maps number is probably not a bad average to worst case for off times. It can't take into account any driving at rush hour though.
I put in "Point State Park" as the destination.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
One thing for sure, You don't want to actually live in Aliquippa.

Center, and Hopewell have Aliquippa addresses, but they are completely separate towns. I would look in those places for rental homes.
I second this. I lived in Hopewell for almost a year and believe me, Quip Town is a place you do not want to be in. Hopewell and Center are fine little places, although there is really nothing to do in either.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
I can recommend Piper's Pub for all you Football/ Premier League needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh