Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 12:29 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

I wonder if things would be different if Onorato won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:34 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
I did say "by and large" - and the point remains: democratic action by a Dem-registered majority metro-city in a state controlled by the opposite party isn't likely to achieve much. Something about the tyranny of the majority, I think it's called.
Ultimately it depends on who we are talking about. You and I--right, we don't really have any levers to pull.

But there are people in this forum who may well have voted for Corbett, or live in a Republican legislative district, or so on. And they may be able to help achieve something by contacting such people and expressing support for funding transit.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Well, last fall the legislature wanted to act on Corbett's commission's revenue report, and Corbett shut them down.

I think it is a safe assumption Onorato would not have done that.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
He was a big spender and probably would be looking for another industry to go after for a new tax. I listed a bunch on a different response. I suspect the list I provided to brian will come at some point. We can tax food and clothing and no doubt brian is all for it, but then people may shop for clothes and food in Butler County? Not sure.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 PM

540 posts, read 868,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Is there anywhere in the country (besides our area) that doesn't tax groceries or clothinig?
Everywhere I've lived (OH, PA, FL, TX) has exempted most or all groceries from sales tax. PA is pretty unique in not taxing clothing purchases, but in TX there was a "sales tax holiday" one weekend a year on clothing for back-to-school shopping. However, it was worth an 8.25% premium to me to not be in the stores that weekend.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I'm not talking about on these boards specifically either, riding the bus and talking to coworkers, I constantly hear them say how they are going to write a scathing letter to PAT or the mayor.
Me too. Way too many people are going through familiar patterns, rather than responding to the actual issue at hand.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:45 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Me too. Way too many people are going through familiar patterns, rather than responding to the actual issue at hand.
What are the issues at hand? PAT not having enough money to operate even after a huge drink tax was issued. What are they going to need to do? Toll I-80? Thankfully that cost shift didn't work. Add a tax to Allegheny County residents homes to cost shift the buses? What do you purpose? I know you don't want to cut service that is being done, but you need to come up with the money somewhere. We already have businesses closing due to the tax levy because of the PAT dilemma. Obviously we need a new tax. What is it going to be Brian?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What are the issues at hand? . . . What is it going to be Brian?
Pennsylvania Department of Transportation

Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What are the issues at hand? PAT not having enough money to operate even after a huge drink tax was issued. What are they going to need to do? Toll I-80? Thankfully that cost shift didn't work. Add a tax to Allegheny County residents homes to cost shift the buses? What do you purpose? I know you don't want to cut service that is being done, but you need to come up with the money somewhere. We already have businesses closing due to the tax levy because of the PAT dilemma. Obviously we need a new tax. What is it going to be Brian?
OK, this isn't sinking in....let's try an analogy you may understand.

You're a real estate investor that buys a duplex with 2 apartments (A&B). The rent from your duplexes pay your mortgage perfectly as they both rent for $500 and you have a mortgage payment of $1,000. You have signed leases for both apartments for 1 year. The tenant of apartment A doesn't pay the rent it promised and you can't make your payment.

Is the tenant of Apartment B in any way responsible for your shortfall?

Is it entirely your fault for not budgeting accordingly?

Old 01-26-2012, 01:00 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
No chance he even clicks through let alone reads it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh