Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Indeed.

It is very unfortunate some people have such a double-standard for public roads versus public transit. Not that people don't complain about all sorts of things involving public roads, and often with good cause, but you rarely see people saying it would be just fine if some of our major public roads simply shut down, or that they should all be sold to private operators for tolling, and so forth (a few people might argue that sort of stuff, but they are treated as fringe beliefs, and rightly so).

So we overwhelmingly understand that we need our public roads, and the fundamental issue is how to do better with them. The same basic sentiment should apply to public transit.
whats wrong with tolled roads? seems like a fairly hypocritical viewpoint to paint people with different ideas as nutjobs. does it really matter who owns roads so long as theyre paid for? asset sales where assets areunderpriced and sold to cronies are a problem but private construction of roads works in a lot of countries. its unpopular here largely because americans think they have a right to drive anywhere on any road without paying for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
whats wrong with tolled roads? seems like a fairly hypocritical viewpoint to paint people with different ideas as nutjobs. does it really matter who owns roads so long as theyre paid for? asset sales where assets areunderpriced and sold to cronies are a problem but private construction of roads works in a lot of countries. its unpopular here largely because americans think they have a right to drive anywhere on any road without paying for it
Maybe tolling the interstates, but anything more than that would be a huge disaster of an inconvenience to people and you would see them up in arms over the prospect.

Actually, I'm surprised that PAT employees and riders haven't raised a huge stink about these cuts yet. That's the only way that you force elected officials to take a stance is through massive amounts of calling, emails, protests, ect.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,950 times
Quote:
whats wrong with tolled roads? seems like a fairly hypocritical viewpoint to paint people with different ideas as nutjobs.
The Benthamite orthodoxy hasn't quite stretched that far yet, that's what.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Maybe tolling the interstates, but anything more than that would be a huge disaster of an inconvenience to people and you would see them up in arms over the prospect.
What inconvenience? You drive on, say, Ohio Blvd or Penn Ave, a camera picks up your plate or a transponder registers your presence, your credit card is charged, and you get an email or text telling you about it - how is that inconvenient?

Quote:
Actually, I'm surprised that PAT employees and riders haven't raised a huge stink about these cuts yet. That's the only way that you force elected officials to take a stance is through massive amounts of calling, emails, protests, ect.
You mean elected officials here will only respond to pressure from members of public employees unions? Probably right, there.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
whats wrong with tolled roads?
There is something wrong with the idea that ALL roads should be funded with tolls, say starting with the end of your driveway. It would be horribly inefficient and likely would lead to systematic underinvestment in roads.

Of course very few people actually support such a notion, which is my point.

Quote:
but private construction of roads works in a lot of countries.
I'm not aware of any developed country where ALL roads are privately funded and tolled. Some countries do it more than we do, which may well be a good idea, but that is not the same thing as them doing ALL roads that way.

Again, what I was hypothesizing is such an extreme view that I can understand why you wouldn't pick up on exactly what I wrote. And again, my point is that considerably more people actually do take such an extreme view when it comes to public transit, which is unfortunate.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
What inconvenience? You drive on, say, Ohio Blvd or Penn Ave, a camera picks up your plate or a transponder registers your presence, your credit card is charged, and you get an email or text telling you about it - how is that inconvenient?
A universal system like that might be more "convenient" than manned toll booths everywhere, but it would still be very expensive to implement. It would also amount to universal tracking of all personal vehicles, and would require every driver to have a registered financial account available for charging.

I think you can imagine the public outcry if that was seriously proposed. It is also a bad idea anyway--drivers are not the only beneficiaries of road use, just as riders are not the only beneficiaries of transit use.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:34 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Whether or not the governor decides to dump more money into the PAT money pit this year, those legacy costs will continue to rise and continue to consume a larger percentage of the PAT budget that is not state funded.

Past PAT management and employees robbed the bus company via control fraud. The only way to sto the ongoing looting is to let the fares rise and routes sink to the point where the authority doesn't really function anymore. And no, the county won't be paying the legacy costs at that point, as BrianTH predicts. It's much more likely there will be legislative action for the bankruptcy and restructuring option. A new transit company can be created.

And lest I be accused of being part of the imaginary 'anti-transit' conspiracy, I ride the bus. I'll continue to do so until the fare rise or route cuts make it uneconomic or inconvenient to continue. Then I'll drive. And I'll continue to drive until bankruptcy and restructuring create a new transit company.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Whether or not the governor decides to dump more money into the PAT money pit this year, those legacy costs will continue to rise and continue to consume a larger percentage of the PAT budget that is not state funded.

Past PAT management and employees robbed the bus company via control fraud. The only way to sto the ongoing looting is to let the fares rise and routes sink to the point where the authority doesn't really function anymore. And no, the county won't be paying the legacy costs at that point, as BrianTH predicts. It's much more likely there will be legislative action for the bankruptcy and restructuring option. A new transit company can be created.

And lest I be accused of being part of the imaginary 'anti-transit' conspiracy, I ride the bus. I'll continue to do so until the fare rise or route cuts make it uneconomic or inconvenient to continue. Then I'll drive. And I'll continue to drive until bankruptcy and restructuring create a new transit company.
Hope your employer doesnt up and move in the interim to a city that can afford to provide basic public transit to its employees.... At that point youll be ready to blame those same politicians you say should just let PAT fail for not doing something and why your now unemployed.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
And no, the county won't be paying the legacy costs at that point, as BrianTH predicts. It's much more likely there will be legislative action for the bankruptcy and restructuring option.
There is no particular reason to believe that is true. Agencies can live on past their original justification for existence being eliminated. See, e.g., the Pittsburgh Stadium Authority:

http://www.pgh-sea.com/StadiumAuthority.htm

And if there was political will to use state law to cut those legacy costs, why not now? Destroying public transit first only means there are fewer people with a powerful direct stake in seeing those legacy costs cut.

So, this argument is that we should destroy public transit in order to save it, on the strength of a political hypothesis which has no particular basis, and indeed is contrary to basic logic. Maybe this argument is nonetheless being offered honestly--stranger things have happened--but it is still clearly the exact sort of thing people who really just want to destroy transit would love for other people to think.

Last edited by BrianTH; 04-20-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Man, this thread is getting long.

It bears mentioning why public transit agencies were created to begin with. Essentially private mass transit was failing nationwide in the 1960s as suburbanization kicked into high gear. Many routes had ridership levels too low to feasibly be kept running by private companies on a profit. Without intervention, it's likely many cities would lose mass transit entirely, and in those which kept it, only a few highly-trafficked lines would have survived.

So throughout the country, the move was to create quasi-governmental regional transit agencies. This allowed the unprofitable lines to be subsidized by the profitable ones. But it was never done with the expectation that the transit agencies would turn a profit, or even break even on operations alone. There was an understanding that general public support was worthwhile, as even non-riders gained all sorts of benefits (less traffic, easier/cheaper parking, lower air pollution, etc).

That said, while state aid is essential, the state never should have directly funded PAT, as besides Allegheny and the adjoining counties, it's of no public interest to the state at large. Really, we need a regional transit agency which can plan - and tax - over all of Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh