Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 07:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
With all due respect telling someone who currently relies upon mass transit for their commute to "move closer to work" is unreasonable.
It might be "unreasonable" for you, but we don't need 100% of the people who ride a bus to get more efficient in their lifestyles. We only need about 35%. Also, that 35% doesn't need to happen overnight. Big migrations take time and people take time to adjust. Pittsburgh needs to become more efficient as a whole and these cuts to PAT will hopefully move that along. More walkers and cyclists and people becoming more centralized instead of this massive urban sprawl that requires buses everywhere. Most buses should be on the busways to become more concentrated, so people will relocate accordingly. That is the real long term solution. Like I said, we don't need a 100% migration of the current bus riders, we really only need 35% in the years to come. In reality, we don't need 35% of bus riders because some might make other arrangements. You would be surprised how many people use the trail at Millvale. They park their car and ride a bike or walk to work. If people only knew how easy that is. These changes are for the better in the long run.

Here is to a very bright future and a more efficient way of life. If you feel people will shift to driving cars, I highly doubt it. Fuel prices will continue to go up in years to come, so even if there are people driving for a bit, in the long run people won't do that due to cost. They will eventually migrate. Looking good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Correct, as does my wife.

Incidentally, we would still have service after the cuts (although I think those buses really will be bypassing a lot of people because they are full). In any event, I don't think you need to lose your own service to understand why every stakeholder in the Pittsburgh region should care about this issue.
I don't think you will need to worry about a P1 or P2 being cut. Yes they do get full and pass stops. Had that happen to me a few weeks ago, but one came about 2 minutes after and had standing room for me. They sure run a lot on the busway and that service will stay in place no doubt. I think they need to cut the stops in half on normal streets. The amount of stops is a joke.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:46 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It might be "unreasonable" for you...
Did you not read anything I posted about many employers nowadays having no long-term commitment to the communities in which they are housed? I hope USX goes belly-up if and when they DO relocate from the city to Findlay Township or whatever other far-flung site they decide to build in to "save a few bucks". I fail to see how forcing 100% of their employees to drive to a sterile "campus" along a congested I-376 will improve employee morale and will prevent employee turnover. As I said I ♥ my current primary employer for investing hundreds of millions into the city and ignoring the trend of following in USX's footsteps. I also ♥ American Eagle Outfitters for giving Cranberry Township (or was it Warrendale?) the middle finger and relocating its HQ to the city.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,047,206 times
Quote:
Did you not read anything I posted . . .
h_curtis has admitted in the past that he nominally responds to posts without reading them first.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 AM

398 posts, read 702,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Does anyone know, are they going to eliminate stops on existing routes with this round of cuts? Even if there is an agreement to restore funding, I feel that this is necessary. I mean 1-2 stops on EVERY BLOCK in Oakland?!?!? People can't walk one block to the bus stop?? That's a good bit of time and fuel ineffeciency there, I would guess.
This.

Before the cuts, there was a report illustrating that our stop density is utterly insane compared to other metro regions. With the cuts, our density has finally reached normality... it's just that they've chosen to concentrate all it on a few ridiculously stop-dense routes.

Too much of Pittsburgh already looks like the second half of Wall-E -- making people walk a few blocks to the bus stop would not be the end of the world, and is in fact what most of the county does.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:38 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
too much of pittsburgh already looks like the second half of wall-e...
Best reply ever!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,047,206 times
Reminder of the costs of driving (and of course this doesn't include parking):

Cost of Owning and Operating Vehicle in U.S. Increased 1.9 Percent According to AAA

Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,682,661 times
Quote:
I also ♥ American Eagle Outfitters for giving Cranberry Township (or was it Warrendale?) the middle finger and relocating its HQ to the city.
There's still a huge AEO warehouse facility there, can hardly say it's the finger. It's in Marshall Township, aka Warrendale for most of its addresses.

I'm sure they chose to go to the city because they want to attract the young workers who would be more inclined to live/work in the city and not out in an office park so much. That kind of detail is important to a fashion company. I'd say it's less important to some others.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:21 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,891,347 times
The huge tax break & other incentives offered to AEO didn't hurt either

Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,567,591 times
Quote:
Did you not read anything I posted about many employers nowadays having no long-term commitment to the communities in which they are housed? I hope USX goes belly-up if and when they DO relocate from the city to Findlay Township or whatever other far-flung site they decide to build in to "save a few bucks". I fail to see how forcing 100% of their employees to drive to a sterile "campus" along a congested I-376 will improve employee morale and will prevent employee turnover. As I said I ♥ my current primary employer for investing hundreds of millions into the city and ignoring the trend of following in USX's footsteps. I also ♥ American Eagle Outfitters for giving Cranberry Township (or was it Warrendale?) the middle finger and relocating its HQ to the city.

Ya know, if you live in the North Hills, driving to Cranberry sure beats taking a bus or sitting in traffic for an hour to get to your job Dahntahn. Some people, believe it or not, like suburban living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh