Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 8,073 times

Advertisements

Looking for help for a couple that is relocating to Pittsburgh. My job is located in Peters Township. I'm familiar with the area from visiting.

I was going to look for an apartment, but we're having difficulty finding a dog-friendly rental, so buying has just moved into first place.

1. Can anyone suggest a good realtor to use? I prefer to use a small company because a larger realtor, they'll show only their properties and have conflicting interest because they are buyer and seller agents.

2. Can anyone recommend a neighborhood within 25 minutes of the McMurray area? We want a yard and safety, prefer an older established area though nothing fancy. Ideally, we'd find a rough home with potential in a great neighboorhood. We have no kids, so school district isn't a factor beyond resale.

Any help with either the realtor, or area would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 PM

14 posts, read 28,036 times
If you're going to stay in Pittsburgh, might as well buy, homes are cheap.

Peters is in Washington County, just outside of Allegheny. There are some nice places around there, but Washington is more rural, with some planned-type communities springing up for people who want out of Allegheny. (Wash. Co. is generally friendlier when it comes to taxation).

I would look at Mount Lebanon. It's right up rte. 19, it has a nice little downtown type area with a few restaurants w/ bars, and it's close to South Hills Village and other big shopping areas. And it's also close to downtown Pittsburgh. Mt. Lebanon has a reputation as being an expensive area, but in reality there are quite a few cheap houses on the market there. And there are some nice expensive ones too, if that's what you're in the market for.

If you're just looking for bang for your buck, I'd look in Washington Co., anywhere except Peters or North Strabane. Those places are nice, but they're more in demand than other places, so the prices are more on Allegheny Co. levels.

I'm sorry, I don't know of any specific agents. But here's a great website to browse. Moderator cut: link removed, please wait till you have at least 10 posts

Last edited by Yac; 06-17-2011 at 03:01 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 02:21 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew123 View Post
Looking for help for a couple that is relocating to Pittsburgh. My job is located in Peters Township. I'm familiar with the area from visiting.

I was going to look for an apartment, but we're having difficulty finding a dog-friendly rental, so buying has just moved into first place.

1. Can anyone suggest a good realtor to use? I prefer to use a small company because a larger realtor, they'll show only their properties and have conflicting interest because they are buyer and seller agents.

2. Can anyone recommend a neighborhood within 25 minutes of the McMurray area? We want a yard and safety, prefer an older established area though nothing fancy. Ideally, we'd find a rough home with potential in a great neighboorhood. We have no kids, so school district isn't a factor beyond resale.

Any help with either the realtor, or area would be greatly appreciated!
I would make sure your broker works at it full time as opposed to a soccer mom or a retiree who only does it a few hours a week. I would pick an agency that has an office in the area you want to look in and pick the agent that has the most listings. You can find all of this out by the agency's website. Welcome to the burgh.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 PM

86 posts, read 259,972 times
We bought in Bethel Park exactly one year ago. We are close to Washington Rd, so it is an easy drive down to Peters. Upper St. Clair or Mt Lebanon would also fit that description.

We moved here from California and had to fly in and find a house in a few days over spring break in 2010. We worked with Dixie Shaffer at Prudential Preferred in Bethel Park. We just lucked into her because we were interested in one of her listings. That one didn't work out but she went above and beyond showing us houses and helped us find one that was perfect for us. We have moved a lot and worked with many realtors and I find so many of them don't listen to you or try and help you meet your family's needs. They just push you to the house they want to get rid of. Dixie wasn't like that at all. She worked hard to find us a house and I would work with her again in a heartbeat.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:08 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Just in case it matters her name is spelled Dixie Schaffer. P.S. Your home is lovely, CJCsMom!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,073 times
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'll need to break down and look for a realtor from one of the majors. From my experience, this means we'll be ushered from one home their company is selling, to another, excluding all others...

We drove Washington Road today and saw properties in Mt. Lebo, Bethel and Peters.

Could anyone recommend neighborhoods in these areas??

Old 06-17-2011, 05:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Dunno. I would think especially that if you take an active role in the search, suggesting properties you've found in online searching and/or driven by, they won't be steering you away from them. I would in fact be upfront and share this concern with any agent you talk to. A good agent should not be concerned with this at all and should help you find any MLS-listed properties in the areas you're looking for even if you are not able to be active in looking on your own.

My agent wasn't from a true area major at the time; she was with Keller-Williams. It's a large outfit overall I suppose but not particularly large in the Pittsburgh area. And I was particularly interested in doing my own searching and drive-bys first; thus I was not wasting too much of her time. But I did get emailed new listings from a search she put in, and they were never restricted to one realty company. Can't recommend specific agent because AFAIK she is no longer active at least in this area.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 PM

377 posts, read 652,177 times
I use Harry Anderson from Northwood. He has helped my family buy 4 houses so far. He will show you whatever YOU want. Never pushed us toward Northwood listings only. The houses my family have bought have been in all different price ranges. My first time buying I had a very small budget and he still took the time to help me. I highly recommend him!!

As far as neighborhoods go if I were looking in South Hills I would go with Mt. Lebo. There are some really nice houses well below 200k. I love the sidewalks/trees/REAL neighborhood feel. Also it is a great school district.

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 AM

8 posts, read 19,171 times
Therea are very few homes today in mt Lebo under 200 and if you can find one in good repair, your be lucky. Mt lebanon is a wonderful safe place to live, and very beautiful!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghNative View Post
Therea are very few homes today in mt Lebo under 200 and if you can find one in good repair, your be lucky. Mt lebanon is a wonderful safe place to live, and very beautiful!
There are currently 60 homes listed in Mt. Lebanon from 59,900 to 199,900.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh