Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times

Advertisements

Highmark to invest $475 million in West Penn deal

If West Penn didn't get this money, they would have had no choice apparently but to close West Penn Hospital completely in the fall ! This is only a year after their announcing of the downgrade of West Penn. I hope this keeps West Penn going as I don't like UPMC at all and someone has to stand up to that virtual monopoly. UPMC might as well go from a non-profit to a for-profit company with how greedy they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
UPMC might as well go from a non-profit to a for-profit company with how greedy they are.
I'll have you know good sir, that expansions to Ireland, Italy, and Cyprus are characteristics of a non-profit.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
[quote=Aqua Teen Carl;19792293]I'll have you know good sir, that expansions to Ireland, Italy, and Cyprus are characteristics of a non-profit. [/quote]
I also know people who worked at St. Margret's and once UPMC took over that hospital they began to fire people who had higher seniority and pay to save money. Why does a non-profit who already makes a huge profit need to care about saving money?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I also know people who worked at St. Margret's and once UPMC took over that hospital they began to fire people who had higher seniority and pay to save money. Why does a non-profit who already makes a huge profit need to care about saving money?
Non-profit does not mean no profit! 9 billion in revenue in 2010 is barely enough to make ends meet!

Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
It will be interesting to see if they end up affiliating with a known provider in another city (rumors have included talks with The Cleveland Clinic and Johns Hopkins).

Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM

28 posts, read 30,830 times
Just wondering if this puts the death nail in the UPMC - Highmark contract talks? A little worried here because we have Highmark BC/BS but, we tend to use West Penn/Forbes affiliated hospitals if we have the choice. Access to Childrens would be an issue but their contract is not currently up, from what I understand.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey man_its me View Post
Just wondering if this puts the death nail in the UPMC - Highmark contract talks? A little worried here because we have Highmark BC/BS but, we tend to use West Penn/Forbes affiliated hospitals if we have the choice. Access to Childrens would be an issue but their contract is not currently up, from what I understand.
I don't understand all this talk? I thought hospitals and the medical industry where primarily there to provide good healthcare for the public?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey man_its me View Post
Was already death a couple weeks ago. I can't remember exactly when, but UPMC came right out and said it wasn't going to renew anything with Highmark.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Was already death a couple weeks ago. I can't remember exactly when, but UPMC came right out and said it wasn't going to renew anything with Highmark.
I'll say one thing for sure, the whole healthcare industry is one big mess. So if I have Highmark, I can't go to UPMC unless it is an emergency visit? This whole thing is so confusing. People wonder why I don't have healthcare. It seems the best option to not ever get sick an die in your sleep at a very old age. Sign me up for that.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It will be interesting to see if they end up affiliating with a known provider in another city (rumors have included talks with The Cleveland Clinic and Johns Hopkins).
Imagine them somehow getting an entity that included both CC and JH. Those are great hospitals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh