Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,135 times

Advertisements

I've been waiting for a coffee shop/cafe to open on the main stretch of Penn Avenue, and now Kazanda's Cafe is open. It's at 5943 Penn Avenue, just to the right of the Kelly-Strayhorn Theater. The storefront is kind of cheesy, as they haven't gotten a proper sign yet, but the inside is quite elegant and beautiful, with cool artwork that will apparently change periodically. They're actually having a grand opening tomorrow.

I stopped in today to check it out, and while the coffee can't compare to a Tazza D'Oro or Voluto's, the sandwich that I had was excellent - it was a spicy cajun chicken sandwich for just $6. They also have Haitian-style black bean soup with rice, and a yummy-sounding shrimp salad sandwich, both of which I'll try another time. The owner is Haitian, and the shop is named for her - Kazanda. I always like to patronize local small businesses, and this one is worth the visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
Cool! Penn Avenue is starting to get some interesting places.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,931 times
Wasn't another coffee shop/cafe supposed to open in the block of Penn between Highland and Penn Circle, or was Kazanda's the one?

Those Target clerks will need someplace to go on their lunch break, I suppose.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:34 AM

68 posts, read 150,525 times
I might check it out sometime.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:13 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,670,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Wasn't another coffee shop/cafe supposed to open in the block of Penn between Highland and Penn Circle, or was Kazanda's the one?

there is another coffee shop a little closer to penn circle - i think it's open now. there's a thread about it somewhere on here, i think.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post

There is another coffee shop that just opened a block up the street (closer to Target) on the other side of Penn. It's called Zeke's:

Check it! Opening... | Facebook

I haven't been there yet, but Zeke's has been selling their own roasted coffee at the East Liberty Farmer's Market since at least last year.

I'm so excited to see these new businesses, and I really encourage you all to patronize them. Hopefully the Target will bring new customers to the main drag of Penn. As we all know, small businesses don't usually have deep pockets like the chains do, and they live and die by their customers, so check these two places out!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,034 times
Speaking of coffee, did the Muddy Cup close already. I went by there one weekday around 10 am and it was closed. This is on the corner of Cedar and E. Ohio across from Ritas. I though this would help that area, especially since it replaced a nuisance bar.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:26 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,628,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Speaking of coffee, did the Muddy Cup close already. I went by there one weekday around 10 am and it was closed. This is on the corner of Cedar and E. Ohio across from Ritas. I though this would help that area, especially since it replaced a nuisance bar.
Maybe it didn't do so well because it replaced the nuisance bar. Could be the stigma of what used to be tehre?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Looks like they did close the north side Muddy Cup, yes. Look a few updates down on their Facebook page, not enough biz there: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Muddy-Cup/57781136578 Still open in Bellevue, was by there yesterday.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:43 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
I've been waiting for a coffee shop/cafe to open on the main stretch of Penn Avenue, and now Kazanda's Cafe is open.

Isn't Anthon's still open out there?

They had a bakery/restaurant business, basically the same as a coffee shop except they don't make you say "venti" or "grande" when you order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh