Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times

Advertisements

Ugh. I'd keep it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev
Then one day I realized that the only reason new homes use an open concept (and builders have convinced people this is stylish) is because it's cheaper to build with less framing and sheetrock.
Yep. In a house that costs a couple hundred grand, fifty 2x4s and a dozen sheets of drywall can often mean the difference between profit and loss. Gimme a break...

Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
That's the style we've purchased, and I'd be interested to see what others have done with it. There is a surprising lack of renovation inspiration on the internet!

I'm especially interested in homes that may have removed the wall between the kitchen and dining room. I'm tempted to do this, but unsure if it'd really "kill" the character of the home.
I think it depends on the size of the kitchen and dining room. If it is a smaller home and the downstairs is really tight and chopped up, then have a look at taking out that wall to improve the flow. It can be done tastefully I am sure. If your kitchen and dining room are large enough, I would leave them alone. That is just my take.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I know someone who did just this on a four square-type house, but it wasn't an original type. It's a newer house built in the 60s. Same basic square style though, had the kitchen and dining room on one side, large living room other side, central stairs, 4 bedrooms upstairs. I just saw it nearly finished, and it looks good. But there wasn't any old woodwork, etc. to preserve. They took out the hallway wall as well as the one dividing the kitchen and dining room, so there are now basically just two big rooms on the main floor, on either side of the stairwell. They didn't make the flooring all the same in the new larger kitchen, though. There's an island roughly where the wall used to be, and they kept the transition to the wood floor that was in the dining room.

I think it works great for that house, but with a typical older four square there may be additional considerations for why you might not want to do this. Personally I have no use for a formal dining room, so that is my bias as well. But if there is original woodwork, built-ins, that kind of thing, that might sway me more towards keeping that wall. It also depends upon how long you intend to stay in that house. If you see this house as somewhat temporary, that may be something that would make you consider keeping the wall as well. But, if it's done well, that really shouldn't matter upon sale either. The trends seem to be more and more away from needing a formal dining area.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:14 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Take the wall down. We just did this in a our 1960 suburban colonial. Our kitchen was small and barely eat in. Our nice sized dining room was a wasted space. Took the wall down and now our house feels completely different. Wasn't a big deal. Flooring is the big problem because hardwoods are often not under walls. When a wall is taken down you have to feather in the hardwood or come up with something else. We chose tile in the kitchen because we didn't have hardwood there. It was quicker and cheaper to install tile. Kept the hardwood in the dining room and feathered in some wood to patch the area where. So, my advice is to think floors first because that can bust your budget.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
We owned a Foursquare and have known many other owners of Foursquares, and in fact the people right next to us did such a kitchen/dining-room wall removal, whereas we thought about it briefly but decided against it.

It is definitely possible and our neighbors were happy with the results, but they went with a more modern renovation throughout their home. We were going with a more traditional approach and ended up liking our more formal dining room for dinner parties and such. Ultimately, then, it is really mostly a matter of taste--although that assumes you have it tastefully done (I've seen some "modernizing" renovations in Foursquares that still make me shudder).

Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 PM

137 posts, read 274,719 times
thanks for all the thoughts. it doesn't have any original detailing on the wall to preserve (just a chimney to remove that vents the hot water heater. Doh! Should be a fun take-down.

I'd consider expanding to the exterior, but we're trying to preserve as much yard space as possible - and an add-on would be significantly more $$$.

The kitchen is 12x14 and the dining room is 14x12. There are pocket doors from the dining room to the living room that I can't wait to restore (they are currently painted shut) and use.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
(just a chimney to remove that vents the hot water heater. Doh! Should be a fun take-down.
The cost to take a chimney down may make your decision easy. May be more involved than taking a sledge hammer to a wall.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:22 PM

137 posts, read 274,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The cost to take a chimney down may make your decision easy. May be more involved than taking a sledge hammer to a wall.
it sounds labor intensive, but not particularly difficult. I've heard about $2k to hire it out. It has an added bonus that it'll clear the way on the 2nd floor for my new master bathroom. We have *big* plans for this thing! And it's not a fireplace chimney - so there isn't any character lost in it.

I am a little tentative to find out how much it'll cost to patch the slate roof, though!

Old 07-27-2011, 01:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Slate roof, oh yeah, that's gonna be $$$$. Plus, you're going to have generally ongoing maintenance I think with slate although it does overall last a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh